1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So who are the Adv riders here?

Discussion in 'General' started by rd400racer, Mar 19, 2018.

1. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

My Tiger was comfy all the way to Tuk

2. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Honestly, my KLR650 was not the right bike for the trip (Deadhorse), but it was the only one I had that was somewhat suitable, and I don't mind being punished a bit :)

A GS1200/1250 ADV is the perfect bike IMHO. Its all paved except for a couple hundred miles, so as long as you don't have a Harley bagger, you can get thru that part.

3. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

All sorts of bikes go up there. The heavier bikes and those with 17” fronts suffer the most, especially in rain.

4. baconologist

5. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I think guys have done it on Burgman scooters.

ducnut likes this.
  6. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

I used my KTM990R.

It is not all paved "except a couple of hundred miles." It is 500 miles from Fairbanks to Deadhorse. Only the first 70 - 90 north of Fairbanks is paved. The remaining 400+ miles is haul road.

The haul road sucks. It is graded, but it is:
    1. Full of treacherous potholes;
    2. Almost always wet and snotty slick; and
    3. Frequented by heavy trucks throwing up mud spray which obscures vision coming and going.

Gas is an issue. the first gas north of Fairbanks is at the Yukon River crossing - about 160 miles. Their pump was broken the day I was there and I had 180 mile range. I still had to get to the Arctic Circle and back. Next gas north of there is Cold Foot, and it is another 150 or so miles.

The trucks on the haul road are dangerous as Hell. They are trying to make time, and they really don't care about bikes, coming or going. The mud spray covers everything, heavily.

The potholes are deadly, particularly if you are trying to make time. On the 2018 Alcan 5000, I blew out both forks seals and coated the front brakes with fork oil. Two other riders badly taco'd their front wheels in the potholes. The stories of riders endo'ing their bikes from the potholes are numerous. I was trying to make time. It was a 900 mile day and I had started down south of Copper Center toward Valdez. had it not been the end of such a long day, and required trying to make time, I might have better memories of the haul road . . . but, I doubt it.

Of course, it is the only route to Deadhorse, so if that is your goal, you have to endure it. I understand if it is "must do" goal, but there are much better rides elsewhere, in fact, everywhere. I passed a girl, solo on a bicycle heading south on the haul road. It was late in the day (7 PM-ish), and she was still north of the Yukon River crossing. It was cold (early September), getting toward dark, and she was a long way from anywhere. She was either a real bad ass, or fell into the category of "God protects babies and fools" and she was no baby.

My riding partner that day did it on his KLR650. Not a bad choice for the ride, but it is a long way on a thumper when you are trying to make time. I'd opt for a bigger, more comfortable bike, i.e., GS, KTM twin, Triumph Tiger, etc. Carry spares and extra gas. Be prepared for the possible breakdown, a la food and water and bear spray. I'm a huge XR650R fan, and have several which range from ex-Baja racebike to motard to dual sport. You could do it on an XR, but it would not be my first choice. A DR650 would be similar to the KLR650.

When are you thinking of going?

Cheers,

Dave

ducnut likes this.
  7. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Local guy did the Key West to Prudhoe Bay IBA dealio, on a Gold Wing. Huge props!

It’s become a big deal for ADV cyclo-tourists. I sure wouldn’t do it, as much as I enjoy adventure and riding a bicycle.

8. RGV 500

RGV 500 OLD, but still FAST

When we did the trip to the Great White North in August, I was on a KTM 1090 Adventure R and my friend Steve was on a BMW 800 Adventure. He did a little better on fuel than I did, but I did a little better everywhere else. He has since sold the BMW to a friend who had a KLR650 but nuked the engine. I will not sell my KTM. It did everything I asked and more. Both of us used bags from MoskoMoto. They survived more than 5000 miles in a week and a half, and look ready to do it again the day we got back. Not the cheapest, but VERY good and road tested well beyond my satisfaction. The tank bag was well worth whatever it cost.

I would not make the trip we made on a single cylinder bike. It is just beyond my comprehension. Having said that, we saw the entire spectrum of bikes on our trip.

On a different note, how much are you asking for the front wheel for the KTM 1x90 bikes ??? I might be interested, for the right price. Let me know.

9. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Heads up...RMATV has a 10% off code good for the next 90 days. Use INMATE10 on checkout to get the deal. No, I'm not affiliated with them, they just gave me excellent customer service recently.

ducnut likes this.
  10. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

Sweet. Thanks!

did you buy that Ktm?

11. PistolPete

PistolPete Fuck Cancer...

I knew I was going to get a range of opinions! I agree on the big GS or KTM for the trips up north. But what about the TAT or CDT. Might be a bit much on the big bikes? Probably no one do it all bike, which most of us on here already knew...

12. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

They have a warehouse in Winchester. Got my stuff in one day. You could probably drive over and pick it up:D

Oh, and she's taking up space in my garage right now!

[​IMG]

Britt likes this.
  13. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

The open sections of the TAT are fine on a big bike. However, if you’re not confident/proficient on a big bike, the more technical stuff will be much better on a smaller bike.

I’ve done some of it in OK and really enjoyed it. I was with a former strongman competitor who is very proficient on a big bike and could help me. But, my health prevented me from continuing on to Moab with him. If I were doing it again, I’d take something other than my 800XCx (<400cc). The main issue for some is if one has to slab it home, because of schedules. A small bike would be miserable.

There’s a dude on ADVRider that two-upped the TAT with a 990 Adventure. However, he’s an outstanding offroad rider and a big guy. IIRC, he did have some offs.

14. baconologist

1 bike for all of that?
    690/701 Enduro with the added fuel tank.

ducnut likes this.
  15. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

I did the TAT on the KTM990R in 2011. It was a handful in some sections (technical stuff in Utah west of Green River), very nice in some (Great Basin), and overall a good bike for the trip. If you are big bike proficient, use a big bike. I do not recommend a GS for the TAT - you'll end up doing more pavement. A BMW 800, Triumph 800, KTM 950/990 . . . you're ok. I changed tires in Oregon and slabbed it home. No way you do that on a single.

Cheers,

Dave

ducnut likes this.
  16. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

So....remind me what the appeal is?!?

17. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

The new Husky LR bike looks really nice. But, I’d probably pick an SWM Superdual over it.

18. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

FIRST Dibbs, IF and when she goes on the block....Please.

rd400racer likes this.
  19. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

Man, I’ve lived in Alaska 44 years, raced MX and pavement pretty much the entire time, and not once have I ever been tempted to ride the Haul Road to Prudhoe. You guys go for it, I’ll hold your beer or something.

83BSA, motion, Britt and 1 other person like this.
  20. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

^^^ That’s funny!

Tons of amazing, remote roads I’d rather explore, up there.

83BSA and baconologist like this.