1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V7 proposal.

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by lance89, Jan 13, 2020.

1. lance89

lance89 Well-Known Member

I know I've been away for a while, but i am looking at trying to do 4 or so races this year and was thinking.

Ok guys dont shoot me, but just thinking. The current V8 rules are horrible, no way a 2008 anything is vintage.
    So that brings me back to my proposal.
    Looking at V7mw grid sizes last year, there was usually only 2 bikes on the grid. 4 races I looked at only had 1.
    So I would like to suggest V7 is opened up to allow 2002 and older bikes into the class. 2002 and older bikes have falling into a hole. 1997 bikes are a lot closer to a 99-02, than a 02 is to a 08.

please discuss, but be respectful to every ones thoughts.

thanks Lance

2. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

Well seems like you actually have a R6 just sitting there in garage now don't you?
    Now if you look down page we all discussed this and guess I should tell you.
    That's a Big no on that bike being let in V7MW class.
    I petitioned letting Carb Srad 600s in to help build grids.
    The rest are to big a tech jump after 98.
    But you are more than welcome to come race V8MW with that bike.
    Now if I was thinking man id say that you want to cherry pick V7 with your bike!
    And we know you would never dream of doing that?

Steven

3. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

4. PAPAPIRANHA

PAPAPIRANHA Well-Known Member

When you consider an 07 R6 and "Like" model in V8, which brings it pretty much to 2016 it is absolutely ridiculous. Guys and Girls are still winning C superbike and supersport expert on those over the current generation R6's. There has to be a better solution than a flat 12 years for V8. As far as the R6 model 05 should be the limit. Other brands and models should be looked at on the same individual basis of performance too. If you look at the vintage classes as a whole 6-8 years seems to be the generation break. The same model should be used for V8 because the current set up has pushed a bunch of people out of racing all together.

418 likes this.
  5. lance89

LOL, Steve I've always liked your sense of humor. Like I actually need to cherry pick V7, do you forget I've been around sense the good old days. Its just a sugestion, and yes I do have my 99R6 and would love to have a place for me to run it competitively, not against modern 2008 bikes. It realy doesnt matter to me, I'm only looking to do 4 or so rounds. A class with 1-2 bikes in it isn't much of a race. I'll just track day it if it doesn't sell, no big deal.

6. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

Well im sure with all your skills you can find you a legal bike to come show us how its done.
    Nope have not forgot RA on my VFR.
    Now if only we had cameras back then like we do now days would have been some great watching.
    Dyle has an F3 cheap for sale.
    I can hook you up! LOL.
    I know people.

Steven

7. lance89

Steve, If my R6 sells or some has a legal bike Id consider it on trade.

Dyle and VFR#52 like this.
  8. cyclocrossfool

cyclocrossfool Well-Known Member

for 2 years (2017-18) I heard all about it.how I was making a ass of myself being the only one in the class/classes . and how it wasn't "racing" if I was the only one out there. like it was my fault that nobody else showed up. must say thou. the overall champ trophies are rather nice.

sheepofblue and VFR#52 like this.
  9. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

Have to be in it to win it sir.
    They never remember who finished 2nd now do they?
    Congratulations is all anyone needs to say because you where out there racing.

Steven

cyclocrossfool likes this.
  10. lance89

OK, so I would even be ok with 1999 600's being legal in the newly proposed V7 heavyweight class, especially sense a SRAD 750 is a 1999 and raced together when new.

11. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

‘99 r6’s make sense in v7hw if rc51’s are legal, IMO. Speaking of 99’s.....assuming you got the exhaust for it.

12. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

Well as one who actually raced against an RC51 in SS trim this last yr.
    Comparing a 99 R6 to an RC51 is like comparing a Hurricane to an F3.
    R6 is a hugh leap in handling and even is better than a 750 Srad in handling and performance.
    But it V7HW so a bunch of new bikes will hopefully show up to race in vintage.
    But the whole reason for Rules have been to keep the technology steps in place as to not obsolete a bike that's already being raced by people in last 4 yrs in class.
    Eboz is trying to add to V7HW class so that Arhma guys and rules can come join in.
    And having certain amount of bikes on grid is not a certain bike problem.
    Its getting people to want to race vintage.
    Making rules just so a bike you own can race down a class doesn't solve these issues.
    Its desire to come race.
    As these newer faster bikes become V7HW legal my chances of being competitive diminish.
    Means I will have to step up. Lol
    And I will because people still have to ride them on track.
    But if it brings more racers to Vintage I'm all for it.
    I fought Mongo for letting 600 Carb Srads because they are cheap and so many are laying around.
    And they dont step all over the performance of bike currently being raced.
    Carry on.

Steven

13. britx303

Yep, I’ve race against an rc51 in v7hw too. That guy and the TZ fella were long gone before half a lap:D I’m all for final gens of Carb’d sportbikes in v7hw and F3,FZRs etc stop at MW. Granted I admit I’ve been out of the wera game since the last time at summit a few years ago, so my opinion really shouldn’t mean squat,understandably

14. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

Well the whole objective of these threads are to get as many people's thoughts on how to grow vintage racing.
    I started in 1990 on a Hurricane and raced 600s till 2000 so I have a good idea what is competitive and what's a class killer in V7MW.
    HW could be owned by a TZ 250 with a rider who really wanted to pay upkeep and ride it like he stole it.
    But Vintage is a laid back class with guys who just like to race and enjoy the weekend.
    No matter what gets brought in it still has to be ridden.
    I have more bike options for me.
    I have a 86 VFR 750 and along with my F3 I own a 97 ZX6R.
    But fact is I'm 56 now and not sure how much longer I feel like making the 10+ hr drive due to other circumstances.
    But I've tried to help build the grids and will continue to do so.
    Changes need to be made and we wants everyone's input who races or has races Vintage.

Steven

Pro Speed Racin and britx303 like this.
  15. britx303

Gotcha. I hope my responses didnt come off as dickish. I was trying to respond quickly before being called on a 911.......and sometimes I hear what I want to say differently than how it gets typed out:D Either way,im hoping for the best for a good turnout and hopefully a turn around for WERA in my region for the simple fact my daughter wants to eventually try roadracing and I much prefer it with WERA than CCS........the plan is to roadrace vintage for starting out,when the time comes,so naturally I want it to be around. Either way im looking forward to doing Summit V7's this summer. I do have a question for you guys that have been around since V7's inception: What year did that class start? Maybe part of what Im missing is when it started and when in relation to that point, did odd ball bikes start being allowed at a later time,but were not legal in the beginning........if that did in fact happen.I dont know, since i wasnt racing back then,so me not being around through that timeline might have my opinion more askewed and "off" a little bit.

VFR#52 likes this.
  16. cyclocrossfool

cyclocrossfool Well-Known Member

only did 2 rounds last year (6 races/rule changes) down from 28 races in 2018. they will never get another dime out of me. 28 races = how much in entry fees for 1 year? ill spend my $$$ elsewhere .

VFR#52 and lance89 like this.
  17. lance89

2002 was the first year. Rules really haven't changed much since then.

VFR#52 likes this.
  18. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

Yep 02 was yr V7 showed up.
    honestly didn't keep up because in 03 Wera left Texas and I went into retirement.
    Lance knows more about HWV7 rules as he was the championship guy on a 750 900 Kawi after I stayed home.
    And don't sweat it we all here just to help make it grow back to where it was and better.
    I personally only do double headers because my shortest drive 10.30 Hrs from Houston
    Im on a budget so I cut cost.
    I also do both V7 classes and that's it.

Steven

19. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

Ok Lance but you have to run a restrictor plate!

Dyle likes this.
  20. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

Lol. Ahhh that's a NO.
    The R6 is basically a TZ spec chassis with a 4 stroke motor.
    I remember Joe P running 1.44 at TWS in 99 on one.
    That was lap record at that time and on a 600.
    That bike has way more capability than what's already legal in V7MW.
    Even in HW it can dominate with a good rider.
    Bike handles really well and has good power and its light
    Look at JT lap times at Barber on it as example.

Steven