1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electrical question. Double pole breaker.

Discussion in 'General' started by G 97, Jan 7, 2020.

1. G 97

G 97 Garth

So my cook top sparked and tripped the breaker. At first the breaker would not reset but after a month or so it did. Everything on the cooktop worked. The burner knob light. The burner is hot light. The down draft fan. And all the burners except they would not get glow red hot like in the past. They would heat up but it would take 15 min or more to boil water etc.

So my question. Is it possible for a double pole breaker to behave like a single pole and only deliver 120 vs 240 and not trip?
    B74677E2-AAED-4F99-84C5-F11D694053EF.jpeg 41396AB8-F12B-4CB2-BD84-0D586FD0EF35.jpeg

2. PistolPete

PistolPete Fuck Cancer...

Yes. Check the legs coming out of the breaker with your multi meter. Both hot, it’s the stove, one hot it’s the breaker.

G 97 likes this.
  3. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

Voltmeter showing voltage on both legs?

4. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Stop fucking around, and do a full remodel.

JJJerry, Chris, noles19 and 4 others like this.
  5. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

SMMFH...

6. eggfooyoung

Lol...

7. G 97

G 97 Garth

:moon:

8. G 97

G 97 Garth

No idea. I figure I can just swap out the breaker for the oven and see if it fixes the cook top and if it does then go get a new one for the oven.

9. G 97

G 97 Garth

:crackup: You sound exactly like Meredith. :D :(

10. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Why didn't you do this a month ago?

Boman Forklift likes this.
  11. eggfooyoung

Dude, call an electrician and pay the $150 service call before you burn your shit to the ground.

noles19, Phl218, OldGuyOnBlu and 2 others like this.
  12. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Because that sparking really wasn’t anything. But yay, it fixes itself, what could go wrong?

13. eggfooyoung

Vieira? Baxter Burney? Naegle?

14. G 97

G 97 Garth

You see, this is what is awesome. Thanks man, :bow::beer::)

15. G 97

G 97 Garth

Well no I get that. I’m just trying to eliminate variables. Is it possible under heavy load like when all the burners are set on maximum with fan running for something to arc on high load and not anyother time. I was canning tomatoes at the time and had everything going full on when it happened. I was fully expecting to see an arc mark, burn mark or a burnt wire, component or something. But nothing. It all looks good.

16. G 97

G 97 Garth

Way more better.
    226B10B8-CFC6-47AA-B4BA-D451AC79B58E.jpeg

Phl218 and K51000 like this.
  17. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Get yourself a voltmeter. How are you trying to do electrical troubleshooting without a meter?

18. G 97

G 97 Garth

Because everything still worked except the burners wouldn’t get red hot. Plus I travel a lot plus I’m living solo now

19. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Here’s the variable:

You had an arc that tripped the breaker. The breaker wouldn’t reset.

Now magically it reset but isn’t working right. And you think it’s the breaker?

Stick to corn and beans. They kill fewer people than electrical fires.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  20. G 97

G 97 Garth

Yep, getting one tonight. If one burner wasn’t working I could simply swap components and figure out what was wrong through process of elimination. But they all behave the same.