1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Superbike School vs. Yamaha Champions Riding School

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Schwiz, Dec 31, 2019.

1. Schwiz

Schwiz Well-Known Member

I'd like to invest in my riding in the March / April timeframe but I'm torn between California Superbike School or the Yamaha Champions Riding School. I've heard both are good, and both are comparable in price.

The Cali Superbike School schedule is a bit more convenient for me, but I'm hesitant only because I'd be renting an S1000R. I race an R6 and do not plan to bump up in class. YCRS uses R6's I believe, so that might be more translatable to me.

Have any of you done these schools? Which one would you recommend and why? Bonus points if you've done both schools and can share your experience.

Thanks!

2. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

You’re not new here, so I’m guessing you don’t hangout on the board much. Only one of those schools is regularly praised here, has participating coaches here, and uses bikes you race. ;)

StaccatoFan, 23103a, Vstate60 and 5 others like this.
  3. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

oh... this will be fun.

ducnut likes this.
  4. Schwiz

Schwiz Well-Known Member

Shit, did I just inadvertently stir the pot? :Poke:

I mostly lurk here and keep an eye on the parts for sale threads.

Chaplain45 and ducnut like this.
  5. Chaplain45

Chaplain45 Well-Known Member

Your not the only one. The classified section is my black Friday.

I do like the question and would like to hear constructive answers to it as well.
    Subscribed

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

6. prm

prm Well-Known Member

I hope YCRS is a good choice, I’m signed up for this spring!

7. tecknojoe

tecknojoe Well-Known Member

YCRS is fantastic. It can be applied to anyone at any pace. It's given me a new perspective on how to break down a race track, and I've gained a lot of confidence on the bike. Nick, Kyle, Chris, and crew are all great.

cxd10 and prm like this.
  8. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Not to mention a coach who won Daytona and regularly competes in MA...

cxd10 and ducnut like this.
  9. AC792

AC792 Well-Known Member

Subscribed. Also interested to hear the feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

Semi off topic, is Rickdiculous schools/coaching dead? I heard they're not racing anymore, but didn't hear about the schools. Their site goes to RickTV now.

11. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

I hope not, was planning on training with them in 2020. Their trailer is parked at Chuckwalla, I'll see if I can get some info this weekend as I'm riding Sunday.

Chaplain45 likes this.
  12. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Ra.Ge. Raptor wanna_be_fast

you've got plenty of time to listen to Ken Hill's podcasts over and over and delve into the huge amount of info. then attend the Yamaha Champions Race School.

13. khill

khill Well-Known Member

Correct...no more school for the Ricks. I'll still be riding with them, just no more school. I'll post up something that has my new direction, as far as my availability for riding with me and my instructors.

Ken

14. Schwiz

Schwiz Well-Known Member

Can you link it back to this thread or PM me? thank you!

15. khill

khill Well-Known Member

MurfSVR, ducnut and Chaplain45 like this.
  16. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Ken Hill is amazing and helped run YCRS with Nich Ienatsch when Tyler took it. IMO, YCRS is better than CSS. YCRS originated from the Freddie Spencer school.

I took CSS when I raced in 90-93 and that is where I first took Tyler and he did Levels 1 and 2. When we took it they didn't teach trail braking, however I've heard they have started to incorporate it in their race school? Having said that Joe Roberts came from CSS, Joe's dad did many of the video's for CSS with his company.

MurfSVR likes this.
  17. Chaplain45

Chaplain45 Well-Known Member

I'm trying to make it to Chuck this weekend too.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

18. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

I did CSS levels 1-4 and Code Race all back in the 2003-2006 timeframe. They were good and I appreciated them. After racing for 12+ years, I took a YCRS Champ Day last year and got my eyes opened about a few concepts. My advice would be to Watch some of their you tube videos to get some initial pointers and then take YCRS. And listen to the Ken Hill podcasts. For CSS, the 2-day Code Race was the most impactful for my Racing and I liked it, but I would recommend YCRS. Good luck.

TurboBlew and Boman Forklift like this.
  19. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

CSS's curriculum has changed significantly since then. I took levels 1-4 and CodeRace in '02...that's pretty much all in level 1 today. I'm curious to see what today's 2 and 3 offer...
    I'm also interested in YCRS, tho'. I took Freddie's Pro School in '03 and learned a few things not mentioned at CSS and figure the same would be true today with YCRS.
    I wouldn't put Freddie's school above CSS back in the day...it was two different philosophies. With Freddie's school, you pretty much had to already be an experienced track rider to get the full benefit. That wasn't the case with CSS, except for CodeRace.

20. deadmantis

deadmantis New Member

I did CSS 2 years ago Levels 1 and 2 for two days and recently YCRS for two days. First, they are both excellent schools but I'd say their ideal audience is different. CSS, at that time, was a better choice for me given my riding level: Really novice. They have a way of teaching the fundamentals in an easy to understand format, which I struggled with. I read 4-5 performance riding books including Code's but couldn't really apply them to my riding. They are really good at wrapping the student's mind around the golden rules of riding (maybe not the fastest - hold that thought for YCRS) and their drills really work. Btw the new S1000 RR is a sublime machine and a marvel in human accomplishment. It gave me so much perspective about the pros (not many) and cons of the bike I ride. Anyway, I went to YCRS after improving a tad, being able to ride in intermediate group on track days, and wowzers! Instructors are at a different level - well they are champs - in short. But also the way YCRS thinks about the whole sport is quite different. They break through dogmas, give you a whole different perspective. This is a pure GO FASTER school and it is spectacular. I went to track right after YCRS, my lap time improved by 9 seconds at the end of a single day. More importantly, I now know what I need to do to drop it another 5 seconds next time I am on track. That is the key difference I'd say between schools. When I left CSS, I kind of got what I need to do to ride correctly but still didn't understand why and how I will go faster. After I left YCRS, even though I am not fast yet, I understood why and how I will go faster. YCRS is definitely a better choice once you are a bit more advanced., if I have to pick one, I would pick YCRS but if you can afford it, do both I'd say. For someone who is still pooping the pants, very beginner track rider, CSS is a better choice (...to prepare for YCRS haha). Oh one thing, I haven't done Levels 3+ at CSS so maybe they offer the same racing excellence YCRS does at those levels but frankly, I doubt it, just judging by the pedigree of instructors at YCRS

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
    scridercoach and cxd10 like this.