1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help getting old CBR started

Discussion in 'General' started by USracer900, Dec 29, 2019.

1. USracer900

USracer900 Well-Known Member

I hear ya on that! I took off the rear pieces so gently you would have thought they made of gold. I've broken my share of bodywork tabs in the past, given the fact you can't source this stuff anymore it will be the most painful part of maintenance for sure.

2. USracer900

Honestly I am 50/50 on black vs. white wheels. My first F2 was a 91' (mostly white w/red) and I absolutely loved those white wheels.

VFR#52 likes this.
  3. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Somewhere in Africa (or Tennessee)...

[​IMG]

4. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

900 DOUBLE R !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap:

5. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

I prefer Fireblade

SpeedyE likes this.
  6. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Hell fk no. Nope. No.

Cannoli likes this.
  7. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

SteelBroome or BroomeToe?

:D

8. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

white wheels look great just sucks to keep clean.
    my bike has them and its a pain to keep them clean

Steven

9. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Bikes in great shape.

10. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Well-Known Member

I'd go up one size on the pilot jets also. Bikes always seem a little lean to me I the stock configuration.

As to the valves, I had the engine out when I did them and it was pretty easy. It's such a tedious and fiddly process that I have a little bit of a hard time believing it gets done correctly at a bike shop with the engine in place. As long as it's a winter project, consider dropping the engine (it basically just falls out) and doing it yourself.

USracer900 likes this.
  11. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Well-Known Member

A plug rarely "fails." But something else will go wrong and foul the plugs. Especially on a carbed bike.

12. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

Hey Bijan! Nice bike!

Have you ever pulled the carb assembly on an F2 before? The carb boots get super hard when they are old and are a serious pain in the ass to pull off the head. I had to rock the carb assembly back and forth for like 45 minutes before they freed up on a couple of the bikes I had. Then I got a bike with nice newer carb boots and they popped right off. I’d vote for looking into new carb boots if you’re going that far with it.

USracer900 likes this.
  13. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

My funny F2 story:

I had a 93 F2 for years and decided to rebuild the engine before I started racing it. I sent the head off to have the valve work done by a builder and did the rest of the work myself. The quote on the head to replace all that was worn out was greater than it would cost for me to buy an already prepped F3, which I did. This gave me time to play around with this engine over the course of a year to put it all back together. That next spring I got invited on a street trip to Deals Gap so I scrambled to reassemble it as fast as possible. At 1030pm the night before we left I went to fire it up for the first time in over a year. Started right up with no issues and I’m pumped.

Then the revs started to drop, and drop more. After the first 30 seconds I had to give it a little has to make it run. After another 30 seconds I had the throttle wide open to keep it running, until it died and wouldn’t start again. I was exhausted and defeated so I rolled it back in my basement and pulled up Craigslist. Called the bank first thing in the morning and bought a used R6 the next day which i rolled straight onto a trailer to take on our trip. :D

After another year of sitting I decided to look at the F2 again. I figured a carb cleaning would be necessary so I started that disassembly first. Much to my surprise, when I pulled the air box cover, I found the paper towels I had stuffed into each air inlet when I was working on it the year before. I had put them there to stop stuff from falling down them while I was working and forgot to remove them. When I took them out it started right up. :D

14. DonTZ125

DonTZ125 Purveyor of Neat Toys

A trick from the old FZR sites is to soak your carb inlets in warm coolant overnight (a purpose-bought crockpot from Craigslist works well). The antifreeze includes rubber-conditioning agents so your hoses don't harden, and also work on other rubber parts.

cBJr and VFR#52 like this.
  15. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

I can do you one better. Get F3 intake boot because they 5 mm shorter and make 5 hp on F2.
    That's all you get from me here. Lol
    Have fun and go slow.

Steven

16. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

Cut off 10 more mm and get 10 more hp!

:D

motoracer1100 likes this.
  17. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Does that also work if you use 2 intake cams?

18. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Nah, gotta use 3.

19. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

told you not getting any more info from me.

Steven

YamahaRick likes this.
  20. USracer900

Good advice, thanks Jim. Years ago I helped a buddy take the engine out of his ancient CBR F1, wasn't too bad IIRC.