1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Glove recommendations

Discussion in 'General' started by maslov, Apr 2, 2019.

1. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

+1
    I had a pair hold up real well, for a long time. Something like 6-8 years. I did have to superglue one fingertip back shut with no crash to cause the seem to come unstitched. But otherwise, great glove. They seem to have taken distribution/sales in-house.

I replaced them with a pair of Racer High Speeds that fit perfect right away. And have endured 2 years of sport touring use so far.

2. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

They make you go wow when you put them on. I loved my Knox biomechs I had before and they had great feel but these are better and have even better feel

maslov likes this.
  3. ajcjr

ajcjr Well-Known Member

Racer gloves

4. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I wish Kobe leathers was still around. Best gloves I ever bought. Now it seems customary for makers and users to expect a season or two at most. Throwaway thinking.

5. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

really like the heroic gloves. won't buy anything else. Pre curved fingers wrap around grip nice (literally have some elastic stitched into fingers) and have little grip pads stitched onto a few fingers for lever control. Stingray on palm and other areas that would contact the pavement is REAL nice vs. leather pads that will grab and increase risk of wrist bone fractures.
    Get a couple pairs of different sizes shipped and pick the best/tightest fit.. He can do some pretty cool custom colors and designs/logos on them too.

Brian_J and maslov like this.
  6. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

I have a set of Taichi GP-EVOs and really like them, I had Held Phantoms before that and they were really good too but wore thru the fingers. The Taichi's have the same bar feel as the Phantoms but the overall protection seems more robust. Before the Phantoms I had A* GP-Pro's, they were ok but I wouldn't buy them again

7. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

with any glove made these days, they have a thin leather palm for better feel on the bike. If you sweat a lot, or even if you don't, make sure to use some sort of leather conditioner on the palms every so often. The leather will just get brittle and break down after a lot of wet/dry cycles, so keeping them conditioned will make them last a lot longer. It keeps the leather pliable/supple and keeps the stitching from pulling out (in good gloves).

The only other advice I have it if you can , try on multiple pairs of the same brand/size glove to find the best fit. I've always worn a size 9/L in most gloves, but even with the same brands and sizes, I've found a lot of variation between individual gloves. Finger length in particular. The main points to fit are the thumb and first two fingers on each hand. If you are using two fingers for braking, having these too long can interfere with getting your fingers up to the brake/clutch lever. If they are too short, it's just annoying. lol.

maslov likes this.
  8. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Updating this: The Racer High Speed glove finger seam failed just from wearing them about 6 track days and probably 200 street miles. No rain and no crashes. It sucks because I really liked the fit and feel. I could have them fixed, but wouldn't trust them on the track even if I did. I went back to my Held Titans and lived with the callus / blister it creates on my finger / palm interface area.

Anyone know what is up with Held? Looks like pretty much no Titans available anywhere and no Phantoms in popular sizes.

9. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

That's disappointing. Did you call Racer and see if they'd do anything for you?

I used this leather restorer after every track weekend, and my Racers still feel really good. I slap on latex gloves, smear the conditioner all over them, and then put the gloves on and make a fist and generally flex my hands with the gloves on to restore the interior leather too. Makes a big diff.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HWIZO6I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

10. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

Schuberth is no longer the US distributor for Held and I believe Held is working on partnering with someone else.

2blueYam likes this.
  11. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Reason I didn't call: The only lasting physical sign of my two track crashes is a finger with a fat knuckle that only opens to about 170 degrees. It doesn't hurt or really bother me at all except I have to wear my good wedding ring on my right hand and put a silicone one on my left ring finger. To put it short, my hands are too important and I would never have trusted those gloves in a crash.

Maybe I should have called so I could have sold them off to someone else or at least given them back to Racer so they could research the failure.

I generally use leather conditioner / restorer twice a year on my gloves and suit. Maybe I should use it a bit more often on the gloves to see if that helps my Helds feel a bit better. It wasn't the leather that failed on the Racers, so not sure the conditioner would have helped. It was the stitching that failed.

@Shocker - Thanks for the update on Held.

12. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

+1 for Held gloves.

13. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

Loyal A* customer here but I grabbed up some Rev It Jerez 3 gloves and won't be going back. Quality seems significantly better

14. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I should take a moment to bash Joe Rocket. Not knowing any better I bought some of their high falutin race gauntlets. Great till the palm ripped through after one season. Not the seam, just shitty leather.
    Glad I didn't crash test them. Sent a pic and an email to cs who invited me to purchase the new model at full price. Fuck Joe Rocket.

I have a pair of Berick gloves that are over ten years old and still serviceable.

15. Newyork

Newyork Dip Mode

Another one for Astars gloves are garbage...my $300 GP Techs came apart after 3 weeks of street riding. Absolute trash!

Racer gloves are my favorite...hold up well after crashes and they are very well made.
    I’ve had the High Racer and now have the High Speed model. My second pair is Taichi GP Evo and they are nice as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Got a pair of those from Kelly Rees before he sold Trackstar racing. Damn nice gloves.

17. motorkas

motorkas Well-Known Member

Try soaking them in water for about an hour and then keep putting them on as they are drying to form fit around your hands and see if that helps.

I have 3 sets of titans (2 gen1 and a set of evo’s) they all fit a little differently (I’m guessing it has to do with them still being hand made). The first thing I do when I get a new set is soak them in water for about an hour and then keep putting them on to let them dry to form fit around my hands. Once it starts to get hot, I wash them according to what Held recommends at least 3 times a season (which also involves them soaking and then keep putting them on as their drying to form fit around my hands (they say to do it right when they are almost dry, I do it almost every hour while they are drying starting when they are fully wet - just take your time taking them off and dont pull at the fingers to get them off). Never had a problem with them "loosening up" as a result.

https://www.revzilla.com/held-glove-wash-n-care

As far as conditioning them, I also do it after every weekend. . .same with my suits (have 2 D-airs). . .I actually keep a bottle of the same leather conditioner I use on my seats in my cars and truck in the trailer and do it as part of my "packing up routine".

18. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

This was a new brand for us in 2019, and I have to say I've been impressed so far.

RD Five RFX Race Gloves Black White-2 (1).jpg
    RD Five RFX Race Gloves Black White-6 (1).jpg

noles19 likes this.
  19. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

They are outstanding, I have a whole year riding supermoto in mine if you need a review or pictures showing wear etc

20. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

+1 on Held Phantoms. Have two pair (thought the first were wearing out and they didn't) crashed one and they are fine to use including slapping the knuckle protector hard enough on the ground my hand hurt went I was tumbling. I can say the only thing that bothered me is I cannot remember taking them off after the crash but can everything else. I will say that I had not one scratch on my hands so I assume I took them off in the ambulance ride into the pits.