1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on house or pole barn house

Discussion in 'General' started by assjuice cyrus, Dec 29, 2019.

1. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

So I'm board watching tv. Me and wife have talked about building a house in 2 years. I keep seeing those polebarn type houses and like them. But is it really cheaper? Is it practical? Does it require special zoning?

Or should we just buy a house and save our marriage? :D

2. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

I designed and built our house in 2013. The “shouse” or shop house are easy but typically don’t appraise for what you have in them. You also have to consider building codes and if they allow a structure like that for permanent residence.

We’re building again when the boy moves out in a couple of years. It’s not too bad if you have similar styles.

3. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Let see some pics. Outside and inside.

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Build a normal house.

and then a year or two after it's done, build a pole building with garage and man area. Three overhead doors, parking for at least 3 cars and 12 motorcycles and then an area for hang out, a bar and a crapper room with shower, toilet and a separate urinal. The urinal is important, keeps chicks from trying to lay claim to your bathroom and hang out area and making it all all a wine sipping sheshed.

You will need a kick ass surround sound set up, pool table, a couch that seats at least 27 with lazy boy action, mini beer 'fridge for the times you don't want to walk the 20 feet to the 'fridge in bar area and a giant stuffed bear wearing a fez.

sharkattack, TurboBlew, RichB and 3 others like this.
  5. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Up here they're called pole barn-da-miniums
    And yes zoning / building code laws have to be checked as I've heard horror stories if you do it wrong

6. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Keeping him stuffed is critical or he will eat your guests.

7. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Very hard to do in many areas as the zoning/ county et al people don't like them.

Check into it big time in the area you want to build

8. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Pretty much where I am at now, missing surround sound and pool table :). I would do it different if I was to build one. It would be big ass warehouse with apartment above.

beac83 likes this.
  9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

We started to do that a few years back. Had the land, had it drawn up, got the approvals, spoke to the Amish to do the build and. . . land prices shot up and sold the land to some idiot that pissed off the locals by trying to put up some weird shit, didn't pay the taxes and the county took the land, the state took some and it's now all non buildable.

10. TWF2

Few years back when prices were still low I was looking for warehouse. It was good market after economy crash and many businesses closing but just did not run in to deal to make me pull trigger. Then prices came back and couldn't afford one any more.

11. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Ha ha, good timing. I'm not building a pole barn, but a metal building to live in. Looking for land in the west, at least 100 ac in bfe, desert preferred. A no maintenance retirement home from which to base camp my adventures before something kicks my bucket. Actually, I think that this, scaled up, would make a great retirement community for single, motorhead dudes.

12. TWF2

There are 100 ac lots near me, desert wherever you look :)

jrsamples likes this.
  13. michaelrc51

michaelrc51 Well-Known Member

They’re just 2 different ways to frame a structure.

Post and beam is how a pole barn is constructed. Per SQ/ft it’s definitely cheaper, but then you still have to frame the inside of the structure and insulate and there’s no basement of a post and beam constructed structure.

I’m going to be building my shop/ man cave shortly. Structure will be 36’x48’ with 10’ high walls and scissor trusses so I can still have 10’+ for lift height. On front side, perpendicular to the front of the house there will be 2 16’x9’ roll up doors and a 36” door. Both sides will have 14’x10’ sliders so air can go through both sides if I want to open it up.
    The prices I got were all $25k-$30k depending on company. Also, a full 6” slab will run $6500 or so just for concrete, $9k+ to have someone do the whole concrete pad.

To build the same structure tig and stick framed, as most conventional residential dwellings are, would cost significantly more. A residence constructed that is stick framed has more benefits but costs more.

Like most people in this thread said, the local ordinances might not be in favor of a residence that is post and beam constructed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

14. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Were ya at?

15. TWF2

Reno, NV

16. TWF2

This is what it looks like there. It is 10 minutes from me by SxS. You can see few houses back in valley, those are 100 ac lots.
    If you really interested in area come over and I will take you around.

Attached Files:

YamahaRick and Phl218 like this.
  17. TWF2

18. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Thanks. Haven't looked that far west yet. So far, Montello to Ely. Bfe is sometimes hard to find with water and power.

19. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Wow, that is beautiful!

20. TWF2

Think weather is much harsher there. Here you are very close to city which comes handy.
    Only reason I am not there is wife has to commute to work. I am half a way between city and there, I am in golden valley. Smaller lots but 10 min to downtown.