1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Honda Grom crash protection

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by aftriathlete, Dec 23, 2019.

1. aftriathlete

aftriathlete Well-Known Member

Gents, looking to track my Grom, and was planning on buying the TST frame slider kit but apparently it doesn't work with Grom cases that have the oil fill cap on the front of the case. What are people using for crash protection for track use? I see a lot of stunt crash protection, and a lot of that looks robust, but I don't have first hand knowledge of stunt cages and I don't know how well that's compatible with track usage. Thanks.

2. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Crash/stunting cages aren't really allowed. And really shouldn't be for racing because there a lot of hardware there to get caught up in, in my opinion.

I'm iffy on the frame sliders anyway because generally they're what catches on a curb or something then the bike tumbles.

I rode my Grom last year with no frame protection...didn't go down..but I was willing to take that risk...there's not a lot of things to get damaged on a Grom...the unfortunate people that did end up on the deck with their Groms, there was minimal damage sustained.

aftriathlete likes this.
  3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

the stock rearsets are really the only thing that are an issue. Also removing the head & tail lights.

aftriathlete likes this.
  4. StaccatoFan

Agreed. And the headlights and signals on the front are a 4 bolt affair.

You want rearsets on a race Grom anyway because the stockers will potentially drag and lift the rear wheel. The installation's a bit of a pain in the ass for rearsets.

aftriathlete and TurboBlew like this.
  5. aftriathlete

aftriathlete Well-Known Member

Got some EBay adjustable pegs that were on a previous Grom I bought used, so I’m gonna give those a go and see how well I can get them and the foot controls adjusted to improve ground clearance. Thanks for the tips, makes sense to think that stunt cages probably arent allowed for track use. Merry Christmas.

6. StaccatoFan

aftriathlete likes this.
  7. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

You all assume a Grom will actually go fast enough to cause damage? LOL

8. StaccatoFan

Saw a young man on a CRF100 go down in T2 at Sandy Hook, MD 15 feet in front of me this year and break his leg in two places.

How much track time, if any do you have?

You Sir...are repeatedly demonstrating that you're intellect and judgement skills are extremely limited.

You may want to consider migrating your online forum presence to gixxer.com. That way you'll be in an online community where you'd be more of a C student.

9. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

D, It was humor. If you're going to ride engines that have the technology and HP that I was riding as a kid growing up, over 45 yrs ago......
    you have to be able to take some jabs at your choice. It was a joke, you could probably ride circles around me on one of those Grom knock offs.

10. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

Parts are so cheap for these Groms that it doesnt really matter. Hell, you can buy a new frame from the dealer for ~$125.

aftriathlete likes this.