1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

85 vs 450 for kart tracks

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by Tyler S, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Tyler S

Tyler S Member

I'm looking at getting a bike to train on and have some fun with on weekends where I cant get out to the big tracks. I currently have an 09 R6 that I used for full size tracks. I am looking into either an 85, or a 450 sumo to use at kart tracks. I am in Socal so I will probably just be going to Apex/Adams/Grange.

There is a kx85 for sale locally that I can get for about $2k. Original motor, "low hours", 17s, slicks but looks to be decently well built and cared for. I've also been looking at 450s and I think i would need to spend about $4k for one(KTM SMR 450 for $3750 at a local dealer). From anyone whos ridden both, what would you recommend?

I dont exactly have a ton of money to spend, so I may need to wait a bit longer to get a 450, but if its worth it I wouldn't mind waiting. I could get the 85 pretty much immediately. I'm 5'11, but from my research I think I should fit decently on the 85.

Thanks!

2. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

For those tracks id look for a 150r that's setup

SuddenBraking likes this.
  3. Tyler S

Tyler S Member

Id like to go for a 150r, but from what I have found, they are double the cost of a built 85. I have also heard they require more frequent maintenance. I am not afraid of maintenance, and I am very interested in learning to maintain them, especially performing full engine rebuilds, but its something i want to keep in consideration.

4. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

IMO a 450 on a Kart track is like a blue whale in a bath tub.

SuddenBraking and TurboBlew like this.
  5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

yeah I agree.

6. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I would look at a 150R or a 85. The 150R will be quicker and easier to ride for most people. On the 150R, you just need to stay up on oil level/changes it only holds about a quart and it with the high rev's you need to watch it. The titanium valves can start to wear and cause tightening which then causes hard starts. A lot of people replace with stainless valves at that point.

I live in S. Cal too, and when we were doing it, you rarely/never saw KX85's most were Honda CR's. There were a bunch of KX65's though.

7. drewnabobber

drewnabobber Well-Known Member

The 150R is significantly faster than an 85, and definitely less fun to ride and own. Nothing like a small bore two-stroke on the pipe. I would rather be on the 2t every time, but I don't care so much about winning races. The KX85 is rare, but all the 85s will be set up the same and parts are no harder to find than anything else from Japan.

8. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

450 is a blast tho on a kart track imo. What’s more fun then sliding in and out of corners?!!!

9. jsedacca8

jsedacca8 Well-Known Member

Just had my Husky FS450 out at Bushnell on Saturday and had a blast on it. Didn’t feel too big for the track. Can’t go wrong with either a 150R or a 450. Just depends what you’re most comfortable on and what kind of deal you can get on either.

10. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Were you riding Tempest or Avenger/Liberator?

11. JBowen33

I think I Road tempest once but it was on my z125. I road VIRs track on a 450. My 450 will be done in the next few weeks so once Jersey is open I’m going.

12. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Did you find wheels or are you still looking? I'm ready to part out my wr250.

13. JBowen33

I ended up buying a set. It was next to impossible to find wheels used for my bike and even harder to find a 5 inch rear set.
    Still have a lot to do with it. Not sure how crazy I’m going to get into it. Parts are adding up quick.

14. G2G

G2G I feel the need

Depends on the cart track. We race on them all the time and 450's are a non issue. skip to 45 secondes into the link

JBowen33 likes this.