1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Triumph Daytona 765 Moto2 Limited Edition

Discussion in 'General' started by Shocker, Jul 24, 2019.

1. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

So that suspension is race ready? Serious question. And the HP /Torque is not that impressive.

A good R6 (half the price on a used/fresh one) is a better bet. and that`s at 630cc....

Have the Triumphs become as reliable or have as broad a range of chassis tuning? (easy to set up)

Again, serious questions, as the peeps I have talked to said otherwise, but I really don`t know.

Where are the Triumphs on the grid? Another thing I`ve wondered.

Educate me...:D

2. Rogue4

Rogue4 Well-Known Member

I'm not Broome but I can tell you that the suspension is the same NIX 30/TTX combo that you would buy otherwise. Triumph and Ducati have been the only brands that put the no BS Ohlins on their bikes and not the rebranded factory crap. The peak numbers aren't that impressive but it's severely choked with the Euro 4 regs. It's also made to make power EVERYWHERE. It's making roughly 20% more torque across the entire range vs the 675R. It's going to eat a R6's lunch coming out of the corners. Dorna wanted this motor in Moto2 to help the up and coming riders get used to the torque of the premium class.

The R6 is a great choice, but it's lacking the premium features that this bike is coming with from the factory. The new Brembo Stylema calipers ($1500 on their own), Up/Down QS w/ auto blipper, carbon fiber bodywork (I know this isn't a big deal for most of us but still), then of course it's a numbered edition if you're into that sort of thing.

The only time I've heard of a Triumph grenading was when the rider was trying to rev it to the moon like a typical 600. These machines don't like that nor do they require it.

This machine came about when they needed a test mule for the new Moto2 engine. The logical choice was to stick it in a existing 675R chassis/frame. The chief engineer is quoted in several videos currently online that they were almost immediately matching current Moto2 lap times and he's surprised at how close the chassis geometry of the stock bike is to the Moto2 teams after they had their go at them.

3. Yep - those are true Öhlins forks and a TTX shock. Not to mention race caliber Brembo braking components. Plus the advanced electronics, QS, Autoblip, etc.

135hp and 62ft/lbs out of the stock motor is good. To get that out of an R6, you are looking at a very serious Supersport build, or a “decent” 2mm overbore job. Both of which render the bike illegal for Superstock racing...not to mention will add $7-$10k to the price of the bike.

Keep in mind that 765 motor is good for a lot more. You also have to keep in mind the Triumph is the lightest “MW” bike of all of them. In some cases teams have had to add weight to them in order to meet the minimum requirement. 62ft/lbs on a bike that light will make it jump off corners like a rocket.

We are talking about what you get for the money from the OEM (meaning new).

You can’t compare the value of a used bike in a discussion on “what you get off the showroom floor”. If that’s the direction we want to go, the best “bang for the buck” is to find a good 2011 ZX10. You can get one for about $5-6k, and can easily get 185hp out of it.

They have always been reliable, as long as you didn’t try to make them rev to 16k rpm. That’s where the problems occur. I’ve raced 2 of them, and put almost 7000 race/track miles on my first one, and it was still going strong when I got rid of it.

They were all over the grids back when Triumph was heavily supporting racing. At one time there were 4-5 of them on the AMA grid, and I saw a lot of them on WERA grids and track days. Then they stopped producing the 675 and they obviously tailed off.

ducnut and cav115 like this.
  4. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info both of you!

Sounds like a nice piece I'd like to ride one.

Off topic but I've always had a problem with the allowing displacement because of cylinder configuration.

I'd rather see them whole class is strictly by displacement... Nobody asked me.:D

Gorilla George likes this.
  5. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

That’s not a level playing field. Cylinder count is advantageous/disadvantageous, depending which side of the equation you’re on.

stk0308 likes this.
  6. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

I’d like to see it governed by valve surface area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Then what? Valve lift? Cam duration? Overlap? Port CFM? CC volume? Deck height? Where does it stop? All those things will affect power output, no matter valve diameter.

8. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

It was tongue in cheek lol. But I agree with your point. Wait till forced induction becomes common; people will argue over multipliers forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ducnut likes this.
  9. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

It is a fair playing field because each configuration has its own advantages, such as the triple has more torque due to the mechanical configuration.

The four has more top-end power due to its Short stroke and high RPM.

I would just rather see it decided by displacement only and let them develop as best they can with in that.

Ducati has had that advantage up until recently because obviously now their configuration is not a limitation but instead an advantage.

Because they developed it which is my point.

10. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Then, everything will be a 4-cylinder variant and that’s no fun.

stk0308, cav115 and Gorilla George like this.
  11. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

You must love valve shims.

cav115 likes this.
  12. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Meh, the biggest factor is still the rider..

13. ...until it isn’t.

The higher the level of competition gets, the more the bike/equipment matters.

Novice TDs, the bike is complete irrelevant. I could probably hold my own on The Grom.

Expert racing - the equipment plays a role, Pro racing - equipment plays a bigger part. Get on the World stage, and it plays a huge part.

Put all things equal and take 20hp away from the Ducati’s in MotoGP, or make them use Production forks or Calipers, and they’ll never even get a sniff at the Podium, regardless of who is riding it.

I do agree that people should always focus on improving as riders. But I also think it is naive when people disregard the equipment (not that you did, just talking in general).

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    tgold, cav115 and ducnut like this.
  14. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

^^^ Spot-on.

15. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Yep.

I was addressing club racing, but you`re right ; even there at higher levels it matters.

16. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

So, did anyone here end up buying one of these? Impressions? I’ve noticed that there are still new ones around, some even being discounted.

17. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

7-haillwood-rc166.jpg

ducnut likes this.
  18. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

I mean, that’s where we ended up anyway.. people bitched because ducati produced a 1098, 1198, 1299 twin.. said they had an unfair advantage because of displacement. So they build a 999cc V4 and get slapped with a weight/rev penalty.

People SAY they like innovation in racing, but no one wants to buy/develop a 135hp triumph or a V4 panigale (Thank you kyle)... the grids are full of basically 12 year old r6’s and Suzuki’s.

Then 36cc’s come along and people cry.

redtailracing and ducnut like this.
  19. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Not with the rules in place for the past, oh, 40 some years.