1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sidecar racing?

Discussion in 'General' started by K51000, Nov 28, 2019.

1. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

Just curious, do you have to countersteer to initiate a turn at speed on a side car rig?

I rest my case. :Poke:;):cool::rolleyes:

2. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

Sponsored by McDonalds I take it. :D

3. craig641

craig641 Well-Known Member

I talked to Peter a bit at the AHRMA race at Gingerman. He told me that race allowed him to reach his goal of racing on 60 new racetracks after his sixtieth birthday. How many have never raced on sixty tracks let alone 60 new ones after 60 years of age?

pscook likes this.
  4. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

I will respectfully say that the OP is an idiot.

Attached Files:

5. sidepipe79

sidepipe79 Well-Known Member

Is there anyone here with the experience to explain the significance of the sidecar wheel placement. On the rig Backcountry posted it looks like the outrigger wheel is in line with the drive rear. This puts the monkey hanging off in front of this wheel. On other rigs, like the IOM rigs, the outrigger wheel is ahead of the drive wheel and the monkey hangs off behind it. Any physical reason of this?

6. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Old dried up squids that have never raced,have no case.............you best rec-o-nize foo!:D

7. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Aerodynamics I would guess, which are very important at the IOMTT.

8. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I think you might be getting fooled by the camera angle. Think the 3rd wheel is further forward than you think. Any I've looked at up close the 3rd wheel is usually mid point between the 2. I'm sure moving it back or forward a few inches does change the handling characteristics, some of it might be personal preference. Alot of times the monkey is actually hanging over the wheel not in front or in back of.

9. sidepipe79

sidepipe79 Well-Known Member

This is hanging off behing the outrigger wheel.
    [​IMG]

I know that they lean OVER the drive wheel.

10. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

Bullwinkle would be Peter Boucher, (on right) half on the legendary Race Director team of Rocky and Bullwinkle. I don't remember him with a rig, but he was crazy enough to be Larry Hanlon's monkey on his hand controlled rig. Peter choked bigtime the first time he went solo as a Race Director, I haven't seen much of him since.

[​IMG]

11. Johnny B

Marcus Poisson #98 (Inky) on the left. He is hardcore BMW. On his chest he has a full sized tattoo of a boxer motor. On his back is an exploded view of ta Bing carburetor.

[​IMG]

12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

And on his left?

SuddenBraking likes this.
  13. Johnny B

The vintage stuff is more like a chair attached to a motorcycle. They tend to hang off further forward. Modern "worms" are purpose built frame with streamlining which tends to have the monkey more to the rear.

14. joec

joec brace yourself

Craig!!!! I'll see you this weekend in Jersey I hope!!!

15. Johnny B

One of the Monster girls giving out free product at the Barber Vintage Festival. I thought the two of them sportin' their ink made for a good picture.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  16. Johnny B

You two have fun. I'll be at Homestead.

17. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Neither of them, now I'm going to have to dig to remember whose rig I rode on. Edit: Bruce, don't have his last name in any of my convs, back in 2009.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  18. Johnny B

That would be Bruce Richmond driving #66, the Little Blue Bitch. Yeah, he's gone. Cancer. This photo was taken about two weeks before he died. I had been looking for a Team Gonzo shirt for years and he showed up for his last visit wearing one. I was tempted, but I didn't say anything. His widow came by a month later and gave me his flags and a sleeping gnome. ("Bruce was always taking naps!") I asked about the shirt and she looked, but nada. A year later, out of the blue, I got a message asking for my mailing address. She sent me four shirts and two hats, one of the shirts being the Team Gonzo one.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    stk0308 and OldGuyOnBlu like this.
  19. Johnny B

You're making a good case that you're a squid and a clown. Keep trolling and secure your legacy.

pscook likes this.
  20. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

She’s hawt!!