1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FZ-07 Arrrrrr Superbike brake caliper project

Discussion in 'General' started by Gino230, Nov 24, 2019.

1. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

85808D5E-6D7A-4FE2-BE9D-135E056F0C27.jpeg 2E736650-86B4-480B-928B-DE009D26407A.jpeg As I continue to develop my FZ for MotoAmerica, I’m working on the rear brake caliper setup. Robem Engineering makes a nice CNC Billet caliper hanger, relocates the caliper below the disc and uses the Brembo caliper. Saves about 1.5 pounds. Even more when combined with the superlight rotor from Roaring Toyz.

Works great with the OZ or Marchesini R6 wheel, but with the stock R6 wheel, the caliper needs a little machining to clear. Was working pretty good but needed a hair more clearance, and it turned out I took off a hair too much. See pics.

jd41 likes this.
  2. Gino230

331C6228-D88D-4108-BB7D-7484DAD3D54F.jpeg So having ruined this caliper, I’m thinking of going all the way. My Pegram 749 RS has a caliper that was cut down, with the hydraulics removed from the backside and the fluid passages plugged. Was done when the 200 was Formula Xtreme rules. Figure it should be good for another 1/4 pound.

What say you, brake gurus?

3. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Hah, I made that mistake clearancing a Brembo radial caliper to a spoked Supermoto front wheel... ooops! :D

Gino230 likes this.
  4. Gino230

0847A810-04C3-42E0-A90E-070D19353B39.jpeg EC84A1AC-B841-438A-8ADB-9DE87CAECC46.jpeg Couple more pics for good measure.

jd41 likes this.
  5. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Slap a little JB Weld on it, good as new. :D

6. brex

brex Well-Known Member

My definition of UP must be different than yours.
    :)

7. knedragon29

knedragon29 Well-Known Member

Duh , grind on the wheel some . Less rotating mass !:crackup:

5axis, Gino230 and badmoon692008 like this.
  8. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Banditracer likes this.
  9. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

You should be fine - look at the piston ratio. Don't want a rear brake that will put you down. Better to have one you need to stand on more rather than less.

I've made a lot or rear brake hangers to adapt various calipers to rear wheels over the years: XR650R caliper on a QR dirt track wheel in a Trackmaster frame for Pikes Peak; Cagivia Alazzura for a Verrlichi swing arm; Brembo for Marchesini wheel on a Tigcraft Supermono . . . the list goes on. Mockup for the hanger is critical. I start with the caliper on the disk - fix it where you want it, centered, clearances, etc., (shimming with shim stock of various thicknesses is your friend) - and work out measuring dimensions with the desired hanger configuration. I usually make a heavy cardboard or lightweight wood template before I start carving billets of aluminum. As you have discovered, small changes can make big differences. Once you get what you think you want, try it full forward and full back to make sure you haven't missed something.

It takes time and patience, but it is worth it, as I have discovered the hard way.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Dave

Gino230 likes this.
  10. Gino230

Yeah I got that one for free because it was machined upside down.

motion, r6boater and Banditracer like this.
  11. Gino230

I was lying on my back when I put that on!

12. Gino230

I’m actually happy with the hanger. I’m going to cut down the caliper to a one working piston setup.

13. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Ninja 250 and certain CBR600s have a sliding pin rear caliper. That might be easier to put together than all of the mods required to your current setup.

14. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Ummm, I'm not certain I understand your plan. (Not that I need to, but you did post here for input).

Is the plan to somehow block off (weld up?) the fluid passage(s) to the inside pad, thereby making it a one-sided, one piston caliper? If so, how are you going to get the inside pad to float and release? I think this what pscook, supra, is referring to.

One easy solution, if you have another caliper that you want to use along with that desired hanger, is to figure out where/how the new caliper needs to mount (bolt spacing as well as horizontal offset), weld up the bolt holes and adjacent mounting locations, then redrill and tap new mounting holes.

Just a thought.

Cheers

Dave

YamahaRick likes this.
  15. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

Gino, you should have bob trim a few mm off the radius of the rotor and then make a new hangar to move the caliper in to match. Easy! Lol...

16. Gino230

Update. Got the caliper cut down the way I want it. Need to trim the bolts and I have a cool little delrin spacer for the caliper pin. All I need to do now is plug the fluid passages. Obviously welding them up would be my first choice. But, since I don't know how to weld and there are no Black Friday specials on welders, I was thinking JB weld. Or as a second option, I could tap fluid passage, put in a stainless steel set screw with JB weld added for good measure.

At least it looks superbikey!

IMG_0007.jpeg
    IMG_0006.jpeg

17. Gino230

18. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Second option for sure, drill and tap. Not a good place for JB.

Gino230 likes this.
  19. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Wasn't life was easier when you raced a clapped out SV?

metricdevilmoto, Gino230 and noles19 like this.
  20. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

Take it to a machine shop and they can weld up those fluid passage holes in 5 minutes.

Gino230 likes this.
  21. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

Does the caliper or the disk float? If not I don't see how that is going to work.

beechkingd and pscook like this.