1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on V6HW V7HW class structure

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Outsider V6 V7, Nov 21, 2019.

1. Eight Screws

Eight Screws Well-Known Member

As both a WERA & AHRMA competitor in Next Gen 1 and trying to build something for Next Gen 2 I am definitely up for these rule changes, I was thinking about these changes along the same lines myself

Out West currently there is no one in the V6 & V7 HW classes but I hope if we could it would attract a few new guys to WERA who currently compete in AHRMA

I had thought about tweaking the rule for V7 to allow my 98 R1 in but I think that unless it goes back to SS spec would be too much for the other bikes in the class

2. Outsider V6 V7

Outsider V6 V7 Well-Known Member

Wookie, is the finger all healed? Valiant effort riding and winning with a mangled finger at the GNF and once again high praise for the dumb and dumber Halloween costume pics. So you're saying there's a chance and let me put out the vibe. LOL Unger's been around long enough to support my statement that people say they will build for a new class but rarely do which supports the strategy of similar rules among organizations and mixing if possible. In the past when I've invited others to come and race V6 they've said isn't that a 1000cc and up class, so that's been the perception. By making NG1 a stand alone same as AHRMA it eliminates this perception and they can still bump up to V7HW which supports Scott's comment about driving for one race. Hate to talk about the past but in the V6,V7 glory days we all pitted together and were quit the draw. Hell, we used to have live bands, kegs and cookouts and people wanted to be involved and were curious. The barber party is still talked about to this day. Excitement and attention draws people to the event. None of us will ever make a living doing this so if you think you've got to build the ultimate track weapon show up then get over yourself. Hell 90% of the Moto America twins competitors have faster times on SV's, Ninja 650's, Fz07's air cooled 700cc Ducs than the winner of any AHRMA or WERA NG or V7 class. Build something you are passionate about and come on out.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    Dyle and Jeff McKinney like this.
  3. Outsider V6 V7

Eight Screws, let your fellow riders and racers know what we are discussing and get their thoughts. I contacted Chris Bush and Jim Moran to discuss before I posted on this forum. I'll also let Sander Knook, Dutch, know what we are talking about. Those are the three guys I know from the west coast that have done AHRMA and a few WERA events. Unfortunately the 98 R1 suffers the same fate as the SRAD in that it was also considered a major step up in technology so by the time the V8 rolling 12 came about it was also obsolete. Put it in street form and stick it in the corner it will only increase in value.

4. Outsider V6 V7

Who is the real Eight Screws as in what's your name. LOL

5. pawpawrc

pawpawrc Well-Known Member

Eric, my brother has a 51 as well and is really good friends with Sander (I think they pit together). I’ll harass him and make him do a Wera west round with Sander. He does AHRMA already but on a 900ss and a GPz550. My finger is still too nasty to put in my nice gloves, but getting better!

6. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

ahhhh thanks for keeping me in your thoughts Eboz

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    Outsider V6 V7 likes this.
  7. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

In 100%.... I can’t compete with the other V8 HW bikes anymore on my TL’s... Even the 600’s at certain tracks... I am all for it... Not to mention I have been the only one racing them the last 3 Years in WERA and AHRMA...

8. Outsider V6 V7

Just trying to get you motivated to dust off the wicked VFR and bring it to the party. Some of these guys haven't raced against a finely tuned VFR and I think they'd be surprised. Now if only you could find someone capable of riding it to it's full potential. LOL If that statement doesn't motivate you nothing will. Happy Holidays to you and the family.

VFR#52 likes this.
  9. Outsider V6 V7

Steve, post a picture of the VFR some folks haven't seen one on the track in years. You and Dan Clarke could start the VFR team with WERA and AHRMA

VFR#52 likes this.
  10. Dyle

Dyle Glad its a new year!!

Just poking my head in for a second. But agreed on the SRAD's both 600 and 750. If it's a race bike made in the year range let em in.

Pro Speed Racin likes this.
  11. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

What VFR is this? I'm building a 96 VFR750 as a passion project. Think the only class it would fit in is Superbike B though.

12. Outsider V6 V7

Because the RC51 is legal for Next Gen 2 in AHRMA and I'm proposing that class be included in WERA V7HW then a 96VFR would be legal in that class. Not sure I've seen a VFR older than 1988 on a racetrack. I believe both the VFR's I mentioned earlier were both 1986 models.

13. Outsider V6 V7

Dyle what year was the first 600 SRAD? If you open V7MW up for that then the first Gen R6 and same year ZX6 should also be in. Currently I think those bikes run in V8MW.

Dyle likes this.
  14. Outsider V6 V7

In my mind if a 600cc bike wants to bump up to the newly proposed V7HW it must first be legal for V7MW. Were you thinking differently?

Dyle likes this.
  15. cowboy dann

cowboy dann Well-Known Member

pic of my '86 vfr

Attached Files:

Dyle, Shenanigans, VFR#52 and 3 others like this.
  16. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

See that is where it is unfair on smaller tighter tracks IMO.... If it’s not a Heavyweight Bike it shouldn’t be allowed.. Just like the 675’s being allowed in HWT... Not heavy and not a twin...

Dyle likes this.
  17. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

SRAD 600 1997-2000. 2001 GSXR600 was the first fuel injected model.
    R6 first year 1998, got fuel injection in 2003, but I think that there was an update to the bike in 2001 or 2002?
    ZX6R 1995-1997, got a new front end in 1998, fuel injection in 2003.

Dyle likes this.
  18. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Sounds like a good time to be unloading a couple V7 bikes.........just so happens I know the whereabouts of a few :D

Pro Speed Racin and Dyle like this.
  19. 2Big4Bike

2Big4Bike Well-Known Member

ZX6R - A lot more changes than just a front end between the 1997 and 1998...and the 2003 is virtually a totally different bike and is where it belongs in V8MW when set up well.

Yes, I'm all for looking at indexing additional bikes and broadening the conversation...but we also have to be careful when opening the flood gates.

As far as V7HW - the 1998-2003 Yamaha R1 is a great bike but it is in the "lost bike" category now along with the CBR 929/954, 2001-2004 GSXR, and maybe a well ridden 1998-2003 ZX9R...all are too good for the current V7 category and are too behind the V8 category with the 2004 and up Zx10R, CBR1000R, R1, and 2005 and up GSXR. As far as Ducati's...I don't know enough about those bikes and I figure whoever rides them just plugs the latest and greatest engine in it and cheats anyway...LOL;)

Maybe a V7.5HW Lost Bike category?!?!?! lol...all of the late 1990's and early 2000's bikes we all like! I know its just a pipe dream and not enough people would commit to making it happen.

This is a good conversation with good intent...keep it going.:beer:

Eight Screws likes this.
  20. Outsider V6 V7

I'm agreeing with you Mark, the first Generation R6 would probably destroy most bikes in Next Gen and WERA V7 HW as they are currently written. ?I doubt anyone is riding one of these in any organization currently so let's make the assumption. Most have been, stretched, dropped and converted to single disc front brake with Neons. LOL On a side note, what was the last year for the YZF 750?

Dyle likes this.