1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CR500- Road Race bike

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by JTRC51, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

Uhhh... got some carbon clip-ons and some carbon titanium silencers from Japan to go with what I HOPE will be titanium exhausts??? That's all i got for now. My buddy just finished up a huge effort for SEMA, he probably wanted to kill himself, I wanna give him a few weeks before I bug him to get in for fab. next news probably after the new year.

20191113_201230.jpg

20191031_144648.jpg

20191031_144806.jpg

SpeedyE and NemesisR6 like this.
  2. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I have read that titanium is less than ideal for expansion chambers due to harmonics and other properties. Are you concerned with 100% highest performance from the pipes or just because ti expansion chambers are exceptionally awesome looking? Any reservations with cracking or other issues due to ti's inherent properties and lack of flexibility?

3. Sweatypants

Most concerned with weight weenie-ing this thing just to see whats possible, secondary because they look super dope, 3rd overall performance. I don't even plan on porting this thing for starters to try and maintain its longevity, since vdues don't exactly grow on trees, so that doesn't concern me so much. Piero told me that going from 120whp to 130whp cuts the intervals in like, less than half, so I'll forego that for now. I do have spares of everything tho for that eventuality, but i'd like to not press my luck chasing power numbers.

If they crack i'll get them fixed. Everything cracks given enough time. All the works bikes had them, I'm not so concerned about it being a bad idea really.

pscook likes this.
  4. knedragon29

knedragon29 Well-Known Member

Time to order up a bunch of Ti fasteners for all these machined pieces , if you will go all out get er done !

5. Sweatypants

already have the whole front end. will take care of the rest. this ain't my first rodeo damnit! haha. considering buying the electronic equip to anodize my own bolts gold instead of ordering them.

6. knedragon29

Inside the motor as well ?
    Good stuff, I had some race bolts Ti in blue which didn’t stay very long. Just keeping them natural is the best way to go. My NXA is all Ti minus pivot and wheel axels . I was I bit under the 225 lb USGPRU limit by about 5 lbs ... lol . Told everyone it wasn’t my fault they picked the wrong crate. Moriwaki weighed in at like 170 ! Nothing goes on the bike unless it’s lighter then the part it’s replacing !!

7. Sweatypants

haha i'll prolly not touch the motor. it comes with gold colored bolts anyways and its all brand new, i don't wanna touch anything, makes me feel bad to put a wrench on it until it needs one. lol that's what i'm talking about. i was hoping 235, but we'll see i guess, i honestly don't know. also i haven't looked that deep, but its looking like those extra long hex cap ones on the shock linkage might be a chore to find. i'll cover the rearsets though, swingarm, rotors, calipers, triples, clipons, forks, controls... rear axle is the quick change tho i don't think i'm finding a direct replacement anywhere easy. front axle is a fast frank right now. not above getting somebody to spin some... but i dunno. one place i'm missing out is Braketech saying they were gonna re-release the CMC-carbon rotors for the last like 2-3 years and not doing anything about that.

8. knedragon29

Sweet ! Keep the pics coming . Is this the carb setup motor or electronic ? I thought there was big issues with getting this motor to half way run? Someone parted the bike out ?

9. Sweatypants

38mm Smartcarbs. the EFI WAS basically all the issues with these things, but i think at this point there's been some aftermarket dudes that have gotten it pretty well figured out with standalone ECUs and their own fuel mapping and shit, so if you had one, you COULD get it to run well now. i got the final evolution, race version of the motor, which were all carb'd, have better oiling and stronger shift forks and some other stuff.

Not parted. I found the dude in Italy who bought up all of Bimota's remaining stock after they shuttered the doors years back. Brand new zero mile motor out the box. I also got 2 spare cylinders, 2 spare cranks, 4 spare pistons, and a few other misc. things all new in boxes. I got this all in June 2018, so I dunno what's left, but he had like 5-10 at that time i think plus a butt load of parts. Transaction was flawless though. Used google translate to talk, bank wire, stuff came in like 2 weeks.

boxcrash likes this.
  10. knedragon29

Whats the crank life on that motor? Whats the piston look like ? Single ring ? Crank rebuildable or throw away ? Kinda sad they never really got going with these. Always good to have 2 strokes around. I just sold my TSR and slowly getting the NXA back together and sadly put her up for adoption. Then I gotta clean the NX4 up and send her packing too.

11. knedragon29

http://www.ronax500.com/index.php

I know , no fun cause its already built ! Bad assery

12. Sweatypants

its not that its no fun... its that its like $100k. and the Suter is like $135k. they're both awesome though. i'm real deep into all that at this point on my euro FB groups and shit. there's a group of 3-4 dudes that just finished building their own 250GP motor from scratch. V-twin, dry clutch... carbs, pipes, electrics, etc... they're trying to keep it at like $10-12k. not bad for a new cylinder design type motor to swap into something. Vins got that new carbon 250 bike that's like $60k. there's a bunch going on out there, but just depends on your pockets.

13. Sweatypants

25 months in... still no Jerry Hall. fuck me.

in other news... RS250 chassis going to the fab shop for motor mountings this weekend. Hopefully that's only a few months of away time.

14. Racingxtc7

Racingxtc7 Well-Known Member

Been making minor changes to my TZ 500 single. Changed the motor's position so the carb is now completely above the crossmember and a couple inches behind it. Had a bell for the carb made and an insert to improve bottomend. Really going after ride ability. Spent more time on the dyno developing setups (carb/ignition) for different fuels. After +7 years working on this thing, I think it's about ready to race and looking forward to next season.

Attached Files:

pscook and Sweatypants like this.
  15. mattology

mattology Well-Known Member

if you have 3d ignition mapping, set up your TPS so that you have way less timing at low throttle positions, and then have it give more / proper ignition timing starting around 2/3 throttle.. made an absolute world of a difference in my bike

Racingxtc7 likes this.
  16. boxcrash

boxcrash Loading.....Please Wait

I remember running into someone machining a block and bottom end to run a v-twin 500, built from two CR500 motors...I cannot recall where I ran into this at and if it ever got finished....but this thing looks like its going to be amazing.

Once the electronics and fuel delivery is sorted on the V Due's they are one heck of a bike

17. Sweatypants

yea i know the one you're talking about. also don't know if it ever finished. it was like he just disappeared after the build thread looked like 2/3rds of the way done. i talked with the dude from BRC Racing briefly one time about what it would take to build up something like that after he posted about a prototype snowbike twin one time that they got paid to get to like the 80% prototype stage then the dudes backed out of finishing their project. i threw out the idea of trying to do an EFI twin with two of the new 300cc KTM cylinders and like a Ducati dry-clutch/trans. he said with all the design time, prototyping, machining, materials... probably looking at like $80k or so to get that from drawing to running motor. Obviously not something i can even think about, but figure if you got like 6 or 7 people on board together... not something totally unreasonable to consider either. EFI modern 600 would probably be a total ripper, easy to find/service parts, etc etc... would be a neat idea.

as for this one... we'll see how it goes i guess. i'm not letting myself get excited until fuel lines and coils are hooked up. until then, still a ways to go.

boxcrash likes this.
  18. boxcrash

boxcrash Loading.....Please Wait

Right that would be awesome! Get enough people to chip in and have a complete running motor with dies, etc. and setup to build the next lot.
    Then really looking at bottom end and the rest could be sourced elsewhere......

I build small stuff for 3D printing as my previous job life was 3D modeling and animation.......never tried to build up any motors or anything for machine work......with CAD or even Fusion 360.......that would be a heck of a job, save on design time and prototyping as you can have it run simulations for you based on your build....but still it would be pricey and a good amount of time, who knows how long I would have to commit to designing it and building it in 3D and running simulations and number crunching, etc.....I could do it, but be a learning curve in there as well at the start as I learned those aspects of designing it and simulating

Right, until you get that far...and firing it up and hearing it at least run....that is when you really get pumped for the home stretch. Then its, I will ride this, even around the block before fine tuning and adjusting, at any cost...including auction my kids off in the black market if that is what it takes. :)

19. Racingxtc7

Racingxtc7 Well-Known Member

One of the main reasons I started my project bike was as a single it would be legal in so many more classes than my TZ250 was legal in.

20. Sweatypants

So... getting moving here, some in process pics... back mounts...

Mounts1.jpg

Engine in...

Mounts2.jpg

Some headtube bracing with coil mounts integrated...

HeadBracing1.jpg

Coils4.jpg

Swingarm notched and shock mounts fab'd for telemetry...

Shock1.jpg

Shock3.jpg

And so... welds will be smoothed out and such. Still a few trick bits to do on the swingarm and frame, get the frame full polished after done. Front upper mounts, steering damper mount, machining the dry clutch cover all neat, all to come in the next few weeks. Getting there.

NemesisR6, Racingxtc7 and JBall like this.