1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CR500- Road Race bike

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by JTRC51, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

Then let's see... Kooso in Italy finally came thru with the carbon airbox, a copy of the pipes he used on HIS vdue swap, a copy of his intake manifold for the carbs, CNC mounts to weld to the frame that he used, and a swingarm cover. I had him add a secondary air intake that runs next to the forks like the old Swissauto 500 GP bike and some of the YZR500's and the Proton KR3, etc... this will probably require modding the fairings and grafting in a little piece of carbon, but that's ok. The pipes I want to adjust the angles of them on the bike, but I wanted these as a good start, then I can mod/tac them up, and hopefully send to somebody to get copied into titanium. Having his mounts mean that we should just be able to cut off stock mounts, line these up, and weld, and they already position everything perfectly. The swingarm cover will obviously need to be trimmed because of my Harris rear so it doesn't quite sit right yet, but you get the idea...

67936491_10102683052737753_2242612071185252352_n.jpg

67953924_10102683052847533_4180323391825248256_n.jpg

69162605_10102683052887453_2525974561468448768_n.jpg

68241711_10102683052777673_1809968955918385152_n.jpg

20190812_170630.jpg

And then my fairings and carbon monocoque came in from Richard of P3 Composites in England. Richard is an awesome ass dude, does some BSB and WSBK carbon stuffs for teams. His stuff is so sick. He made RSA250 fairings to fit on an RS250. Me and another dude got the first 2 offered. And then his monocoque tank/self-supporting seat combo. I think the whole thing weighs like 9lbs. Its ridiculous and should make for a light ass bike here (fairings on the floor in there somewhere)...

20190930_140203.jpg

20190930_223809.jpg

And so... I pretty much have all the big stuff I need to get rocking. My buddy Brian at MA-Motorsports is hustling on a car for SEMA, but after that I'm gonna try and get in there so he can fab up the frame. Needs a notch cut out of it, post for the damper mount, bracing, mounts welded up, fairing brackets welded, cut-out for the rear shock potentiometer to fit on the swingarm, and a polishing. That should be about that. Hopefully that means early spring I can go see Steve for final assembly, wiring, paint, brake lines, cables, tuning, powdercoating, etc... we shall see.

Enjoy for now, 2 posts on the last page in case you miss it.

2. jcivince

jcivince Well-Known Member

OMG (repeat many times very loudly!)!!!!!! I'm thinking I'll pay money just to look at it in person when it gets put together!

Big thanks for taking the time on the great pics & fabrication explanations - definitely made my night!

jksoft and Sweatypants like this.
  3. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

Man this is the definition of an over the top batshit crazy project. The world is a better place because of it and I salute you. :flag:

Killswitch and Sweatypants like this.
  4. Sweatypants

haha thanks guys. we'll see how it shapes up i guess, but its coming along steadily. i was telling the carbon dude just this morning... i already know myself before it even happens... i KNOW i'm gonna end up not wanting to even ride this thing out of fear of hurting it, which bums me out, but waiting a year on fairings and shit and the cost also does haha. either way at least though... i'll take it to some track days, get into it nice and easy and take my time, work on making the carbs/ignition just right, work on getting the suspension dialed, maybe slowly work my way up from some street-DOT type tires to slicks eventually... it will be nice to just have it all running nicely.

that stupid ass supersingle project was supposed to be the cheap, throw-around bike to not give a damn about any of that with... but 22 months in and still no engine back from Jerry Hall... i don't even think i want it any more. i might just sell all of it and part out the chassis when that finally comes back. some ATV dude will buy it for sure. maybe just take that whole front end and throw it on an R3 and throw a 465cc banshee motor in and call it a day. cheap, light, easy to get parts, cheap fairings... i need a kickaround something to compliment having this dumb thing. we'll see, but i know Jerry told me "2 weeks" about 4.5 months ago... so not holding my breath.

5. 90kacoupe

90kacoupe Novice seeking Help

This project is amazing dude! Great vision and great work! but if you sale the CR project let me know!

Sweatypants likes this.
  6. Sweatypants

Thanks man. And I will. I'm undecided yet, but if I do I'll post up here first. maybe I'll just offer it all up or parted. the fairings i chose are already mounted up, engine mounts are already done, Hall is sending the exhaust in pieces so I could modify the angles and shit... all it would really need is some wiring/tuning, a small intake runner made for the carb, and a fuel cell if you didn't wanna use a stock dirtbike one, but you could. its pretty much all there... zeeltronic ignition, battery, ohlins rear, rearsets, smartcarb, AIM mychron dash, motor, exhaust, rear marchesini, etc etc etc... its an LT500R Quadzilla motor btw, not a CR. i wanted the counter balancer shaft to not deal with vibrations. should make like 80whp said Hall with the porting he did.

Only thing I'd be keeping one way or another is the front end, which is easy enough to deal with for anyone else... R6 shit goes right in there with a stem from Geoff, or piece something together like i did to your heart/wallet's content.

7. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

What classes will you race this in? I’m guessing a formula class of some sort?

8. Sweatypants

it would probably have to be if i actually wanted to race, no? engine too big for Heavyweight Twins (and it'd get smoked anyways). Engine too big for Formula 2 (which is why I assume Joe ran that 396cc banshee motor)... gonna get smoked in Formula 1 as well. 396cc limit for Clubman too so again too big...

so yea... probably nothing? the single qualifies for those different classes though, or if i kept a banshee something to 396cc that would work too for Clubman and Formula 2 and some Lightweight Twins. so i dunno, i guess race one of those if it comes down to actually racing? i'm HOPING this thing comes in under 250lbs., BUT... i'm a fatass currently, and suck comparatively, AND it'll still only make like 120whp. so it might turn well and all and be mega fun, but it'll get iced all day by anything else in Formula 1. that's a BIG HP gap there compared to a built Panigale or ZX10R or something, irrelevant to rider skill. 10-20hp is one thing... 70-80hp is a whole 'nother...

maybe Mongo will give me an exception if i forego points or something. i would just want to run it against things it could actually compare to. B Superbike? a Twins something? that'd be cool. i dunno we'll see in a year or 2 once its finally done.

9. 90kacoupe

I would definitely be interested in it, I have been really looking at building a 2 stroke super single. I would have to retire my RZ to race it but I would really enjoy a nice single! I would race it in AHRMA with SOS1.

Sweatypants likes this.
  10. E Reed

E Reed Well-Known Member

Clubman is unlimited single cylinder I do believe.

11. Sweatypants

it is, which is why the single works. this one from all the pictures is a 500 twin though.

12. E Reed

E Reed Well-Known Member

Sweet. My brain was deprived of blood from looking at the pictures. =) My apologies.

Sweatypants likes this.
  13. Sweatypants

well....... this post was May 22nd.

Its now Nov. 18th. Still no motor. 2 weeks from now will by my 2 year anniversary since sending this motor in, to get a single piston 2-stroke motor built. Just called and left a message and sent an email. I got nothin...

14. 90kacoupe

Where is this guy located?

15. Sweatypants

Glendale, AZ

16. 90kacoupe

Its a shame we can't get a fellow racer to drop by on your behalf.

17. Sweatypants

somebody in this thread has, and knows him, if you look back a few pages which i'm too lazy to do haha. an OG Drift Alliance buddy used to live in Glendale, but he's been moved away for a few years now and re-invented a new life where his normal ass wife doesn't know he used to be a total maniac, so i got nobody to call on haha.

18. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

Just read this, you have a lot of patience! Hope to see this out there some day, and I hope it's not wasted on a track day... (enter it in F2... the cool kids won't say anything).

Sweatypants likes this.
  19. Sweatypants

thanks. all these pics of the past few pages are from bike #2. that, while still taking a bunch of time, has continuously been moving along at a steady pace.

the motor in question above is from bike #1 started ages ago. literally like 5 or 6 years ago at this point, with me now being a total standstill for 2 years waiting on Hall.

bike #2 will continue on as planned while the other one gets back burnered and makes me resentful and angry and disillusioned with finishing it. i'll see what happens when its done. hopefully frame fab in december to mount the vdue motor up comes next.

JBall likes this.
  20. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

patiently waiting to see more pics and progress!