1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you have a classic racer that could look good and run again?

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Can-am, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Can-am

Can-am Well-Known Member

If so, I will pay your entry fee to run it at Barber if you can get the Museum to accept it into the field.

http://forums.13x.com/index.php?thr...ition-july-4-2020-barber.363717/#post-5622587

It is not yet Thanksgiving, so you have plenty of time to get it cleaned and running well by the 4th of July (and make an exhibit). This should be a fun event again this year. No excuses of "If I had only known a little earlier". Come out and ride your classic in a safe environment and compete for some of the most desirable trophies in motorcycling.

Shenanigans likes this.
  2. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

I know someone who has a nice Rotax powered Hejira that would be perfect. I know someone who would be the ideal rider too.:D

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
  3. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Hey, do you know anyone who has, like maybe, .....a little classic Ducati 350GP bike that would be sitting around, probably with a new ignition, and itching to be ridden?:D .....I've always wanted to try one more than in a parking lot, like Bowie let me one time.

That Hejira was a fun ride. It handles very well........the bugs are worked out now also.:D .......I still want to make a knock off of that chassis and put a CB350 in it.

This is a very cool event.....2 practice sessions AND a "Race", on one of the best tracks ever.

4. Robin172

You broke my old bike, I'm sure as hell not going to let you break my current one.

5. CharlieY

Geesh, says the guy who fried his current bike to a crisp........??????

I'm getting a bad rap here....you need to ask yourself what I could have possibly done, with 25hp, cruising at the back, to sheer 4 or 5 3/8" (?) bolts in half.....cuz it is certain that it wasnt overly aggressive riding.

Joking aside, You cant be serious Scudder.

6. CharlieY

Oh, not about the bike mostly.....but your slanderish behavior......Imagine a Brit stirring the pot, I know.:)

7. DougBowie

DougBowie Well-Known Member

Somebody loan Charlie a M1 Tank..... I think that’s the only motorized vehicle that Charlie can not destroy.....

8. Robin172

:crackup:

9. CharlieY

I'd really like to understand the data here, because it doesnt add up to anything like what you guys are proposing.....please enlighten me....seriously, my recollection is way different than yours gents.....look up DNF's, you wont see anything out of Kilter......I'd bet Scudder has more DNF's than me.....;)

I was about to say that Robins slander is firmly placing him at the top of the A-hole list, dethroning Mr. Bowie....scratch that! Doug wins again!:crackup:

10. Robin172

Charlie my dear fellow, in all my years of racing my finishing record is pretty good. One year in particular springs to mind, 44 starts and 43 finishes, how many starts and finishes did you have on that same bike?:p

11. DougBowie

DougBowie Well-Known Member

Dang Charlie.... just having fun with you .... Now That English guy ... is a really mean guy . Mean like a English Bull dog ...........Puppy

12. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

Does somebody here actually own a Rotax powered Hejira? WOW!

Please post pictures.

13. Can-am

Can-am Well-Known Member

I was rather hoping for a discussion of where we might find a deserving field of racers but, of course, that is the danger of posting here.
    We are actively trying to recruit owners of: HD CRTT 250; Bultaco Metralla 250; Ducati 250 Diana; Suzuki T20; Honda CR77; AJS 7R; Yamaha TD1, TD2, TD3; Honda CB450; Yamaha RD350 and 400; Bridgestone 350; Kawasaki Big Horn, A1R, H1; Suzuki TR500; Yamaha TZ750; Honda CB400F; Honda RS125 and 250; Suzuki RG500 and TR750; Yamaha TR3 and TZ350; BSA gold star; Norton Manx; Triumph T100; Honda CR750; Rickman CR750 and CR900; Triumph Trident; BSA Rocket 3; Honda VF750; Suzuki GS750 and GS1000; Yamaha FZR 750 and FZR 400; Honda CB1100F and CB900F; Kawasaki EX500; Yamah RZ350; Suzuki GSXR750 and similar sorts of bikes that raced here from the mid 50s to the late 80s. Of course this is not an exhaustive list, just a top of the head suggestion from an old man with a fading memory. Any body got any of the above? Can it look good and run well by the 4th of July? I will provide the beer afterwards if that will move anyone to start looking in their garages.

evakat likes this.
  14. Robin172

My Ducati is a Mark 3, does that count?

15. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

I have a 87 FZR750RT that might be ready by summer 2020.

16. Robin172

Snett 10-82.jpg

Snett 10-84.jpg

Kuma Wheels.JPG

Banditracer and britx303 like this.
  17. dave3593

The above bikes look great! Is the black and gold one powered by a Rotax 256?

18. dave3593

Never mind I just figured out all three are the same single cylinder bike. Is that a 500cc two stroke?

I have a 1989 reverse cylinder TZ250 I was going to apply to bring but it is not in your list.

My RZ350 doesn't look good and has newer wheels and brakes.

19. Robin172

No it's a 250.

20. Can-am

Can-am Well-Known Member

I never should have started a list. Since then I have been reminded that I forgot Ducati SS750 and SS900; Matchless G50; Kawasaki Z1 and KZ1000; Norton Commando and who knows how many more.

To review: If the bike is eligible to run any of the WERA vintages classes: 250 - 500GP or V1 - V6 or Formula 500 or Formula 2 stroke, it is eligible for the Concours event if:
    1) It can pass WERA tech; 2) It runs well; 3) It looks good; 4) Its owner can put together a historical exhibit; and, 5) the Museum likes what you say about it and the picture when you apply to enter.
    If it can't run or pass tech it could still be entered into the show class if the Museum thinks it is interesting.

We want to see the bikes that are WERA's heritage and share them with the current members of WERA, the members of the Museum and the public. In particular, we want them to see and hear them at speed and have the owners available to share why they have kept the bikes and what it means to have a chance to exercise them again.

Start thinking about coming out on July 4th. In the meantime keep those cards and letters and complaints coming. You might want to look at the rule book for class eligibility since my memory is clearly fading.

MC Motorsports likes this.