1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electrickery question?

Discussion in 'General' started by PistolPete, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Rich Graver

Rich Graver Well-Known Member

Yup, Pull the Meter.

zrx12man likes this.
  2. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

What island. We took the boat over to harbor 3 weeks ago. We were the only boat there

3. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

If you buy a 220v genny make sure it’s an inverter like your Honda. Mini splits don’t like generator power.

dobr24 likes this.
  4. mastermind

mastermind camping in turn 2....

Dude, it was 22 deg here at Tally last night.... I wish I was somewhere that required AC!!!!!

Had to plug in my light bulb in the water compartment to keep the pump from freezing.....

5. Captain Morgan

Most everything American does not like 220

6. PistolPete

PistolPete Fuck Cancer...

Tilloo Cay, Abaco

7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Aside from things made to run on 220.

8. Captain Morgan

Nice, sucks for marsh harbor and the whole Abacos, it was a weird little/big storm. We were in great exuma at the time and high tailed it back to Florida on one engine

9. PistolPete

Yea, it was a fucking monster of a storm, but in a relatively small area. Unfortunately, my place was in that area...

10. Captain Morgan

Sorry, that sucks, spent 5 years in the Bahamas, if I were to call a place home in the recent years that's it. Going back next week to work

11. PistolPete

Speaking of work, know anyone looking for a captain, mate, delivery? USCG Master near coastal. I can’t cook, but I can drive. Was going to be captaining catamaran charters this season, but that’s not happening...

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  12. Captain Morgan

Please don't take this the wrong way but never recommend a person for a job that I have never met, if things don't work out I'm the asshole

13. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Why would mini splits dislike clean smooth AC from a generator and prefer chopped waveforms out of an inverter, but not have a problem with what's coming from the power co? I can see issues if you undersize the generator for the job the voltage AND freq may sag for a moment at start, but otherwise, where is this idea coming from?

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

One thing I like about out setup with the pump under the bed - especially since I wasn't home when the bottom dropped out of the temps and the rv isn't winterized yet.

15. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Mini splits use pulse width modulation motors. AC generators don’t produce a true 180 degree sine wave, so if you try to run a PWM on one it will fault.

When an inverter converts back to AC, the microprocessor smooths out the frequency and solves the problem. Voltage drop isn’t the issue. They’ll run down to 187VAC, but not on dirty power.

16. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Sorry if this is a basic question, but I thought household 220v was just 2 110 legs, one ground and the neutral? So... why would what the OP is taking about not work?

17. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Americans prefer 420.
    Don't Bogart that pigtail.

18. Captain Morgan

Most stoners would kill themselves trying. Work on some Euro boats and fried a lot of electronics even with a converter

19. Captain Morgan

My laptop in Italy got so hot it started to smoke at this old hotel in Bologna to visit the duc factory

20. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

The short explanation is that both legs would be in the same phase, meaning the sine waves are at the upper and lower envelope simultaneously. For 220 to work, the legs must be 180 degrees out of phase, so one is at the upper envelope and the other is the lower.

Also single phase 220 doesn’t need a neutral. Since they’re on opposite frequency, the neutral basically switches back and forth at 60hz (50hz in Europe). Cool right?

I always feel really stupid when I realize somebody figured all that out from scratch.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019