1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electrickery question?

Discussion in 'General' started by PistolPete, Nov 13, 2019.

1. PistolPete

PistolPete Fuck Cancer...

l know we have some experts here. The situation is, my place in the Bahamas is without grid power now and will likely be that way for some time. I’m back feeding with a small generator through 2 outlets such that I’m energizing both legs in the panel. The question is regarding phasing. I have 3 mini splits wired for 220. Both legs will be hot, but in the same phase I assume, so how will that affect them. Will they essentially get no power, or will they only feel 110, or will they burn up? I can do without the AC, but the question is what happens if I try them?

2. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

As I understand your wiring, you won't have 220 anywhere.

3. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Your generator will need to output in 240v 2-pole single phase in order to get the splits to work

Look for an L14-20 or L14-30 twist lock receptacle on the gennie.

4. PistolPete

Honda 2000 gen. No 240. Easy enough to power both sides of the panel, but I assume having both legs “in phase” or “out of phase”, which ever term is correct, means I won’t have 240. Will the AC’s just not work, or will they pop? Nothing else in the house needs 240.

5. rwdfun

rwdfun

Yep not going to work. The 120Vs will be in phase. Turn off all 240V breakers while doing this as well as the main feed

Also, be careful of current draw. The wires from the genny to the panel will see all current pulled by all other circuits. Most breakers are bi-directional but check. If you can try to plug into a 20a circuit instead of the normal 15a

Rich Graver likes this.
  6. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

Turn all the 240vac breakers off to isolate each side of the panel, your 2 generators aren't phased together so your voltage being supplied is unknown and may vary

7. PistolPete

Thanks guys

8. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I’m only reading one gennie backfeeding through two out-of-phase circuits to energize both phases of the panel, but yes, you will not have more than 120v.

Overcurrent protection on the gennie will pop if the draw gets too high, but don’t cheap out on the cords you use, and make them as short as possible.

And consider putting a bypass switch and flanged inlet in to keep linemen from getting killed if you whoops and forget to turn the main breaker off.

dobr24 likes this.
  9. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Do a basic diagram for us so we can completely understand what's going on here. Don't care if you sketch it on a napkin. Give us something

10. rwdfun

rwdfun

Don't need it. I know exactly what he's doing. I did it myself, once

11. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

You're right, for some reason I was thinking he had (2) 120vac generators trying to feed a 240vac panel. Not sure why I got that in my head since it was clearly stated.

dobr24 likes this.
  12. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Sounds like one generator to me too. Not gonna power much simultaneously. The 2000 provides 1600 watts at 120v while running so your combined draw in the house has to be less than that or you will blow the breaker on the generator. Wont power 220v as others have already said. Unhook and cap off the incoming power line to protect the lineman.

13. PistolPete

Yea, it’s pretty simple. One genny with 2 receptacles. 2 short modified suicide cords (male both ends). Feeding 2 house receptacles, 20a, one on each leg of the panel. Main breaker is off, not trying to kill a lineman. The question was specifically the 240, to educate myself. I thought I knew the answer, and you guys confirmed. No AC for me...

14. rwdfun

rwdfun

Boo hoo No AC.

IT WAS 5F HERE THIS MORNING.

:D

15. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Any chance you can find a window unit? Some of the smaller ones would run off a 2000.

16. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

We had 2, thought we might get below zero. I was disappointed . :D

17. PistolPete

Haha! While everything else down here sucks right now, the weather’s still nice!

Steeltoe likes this.
  18. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

For now......

19. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Isn't the weather the reason everything sucks there right now? :D

Cannoli, Montoya and tl1098 like this.
  20. PistolPete

Yes...