1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How are your Michelin power rs's holding up? (track days)

Discussion in 'Tech' started by dallen.helmer, Nov 11, 2019.

1. dallen.helmer

dallen.helmer Well-Known Member

I been running power rs's on both my ninja 300 and gsxr 600 I like them on both my bikes both running at a intermediate pace. I like to know everyone's take on when they replace them or feel the need to, many people are saying I need to get on q3's because when Michelins goes out it doesn't give a warning.

Whats everyone else's experience/take on that saying.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

quantify "many peoples"?? What evidence of this "tires go away" theory do they have?
    what is it you think Q3s are going to give you the michelins dont?
    I always take randoms reco's with a grain of salt because they are not using facts or data to support their claims. They are probably using a zip tie for suspension tuning...lol.
    Ill say this... if youre rolling around learning you can go a long ways til the tires are a problem. Same with brake pads and stock 530 chains.
    The most important thing is to have accurate pressure measurements for your tires. There aint a tire out there that suddenly throws a rider on the ground when its done with its life cycle... unless it goes flat.

ducnut likes this.
  3. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

It's all an individual brand/feel preference. I rode Q3 and Q3+ religiously. Dunlop was the only tire I've ever had on my bike. Loved them as a track tire, and was nowhere near its limits, I just wanted to try something new.

I rode my buddies bike, a GSX-R, just like mine and he had the Power RS tires on there. They also felt great and were way more capable than me. Either one is capable of Advanced group pace, and I've seen lots of control riders who use them both while coaching at trackdays. Maybe you're at the point I was at, just need to try something else to see if there is something you will like more.

4. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

Get slicks... your welcome

track wagon likes this.
  5. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

That was true, 15 or 20 years ago. Not so much today.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  6. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

"Michelin goes out it doesn't give a warning".. good lord. Is this 1970's thing still a thing ? Guess what. Any tire that just "goes out" is not warning you. This is what happens when you talk to track day guys.
    PS: this is a racing forum, not going to have a plethora of track day only riders, running track day only tires here...
    kind of a catch 22 ain't it.

TurboBlew and track wagon like this.
  7. MELK-MAN

not always an ideal solution..

duc995, TurboBlew and dallen.helmer like this.
  8. dallen.helmer

I just had to get the buzz. I always took that advice with a grain of salt like everyone said. I wanted to know other experiences/result to justify my reason to run Michelin besides my liking and confidence in them.

9. MELK-MAN

all the tires from all mfgs are very good these days.. there will be differences in feel and general characteristics from brand to brand, and there will be big differences in track day/sport tires vs competition rubber. Put your money where it's best used. First, gotta ask yourself, track day/sport or competition tires. Obviously, competition tires are gonna cost more, and really should be used with tire warmers. I'm partial to Michelin.. love their stuff, and have used em for 15 years (comp tires only, don't know much about their track day/sport stuff).

TurboBlew and dallen.helmer like this.
  10. dallen.helmer

Well street Id probably go with something more water friendly I'm talking about track day tires both my gsxr and ninja as stated before are running the power rs's. I feel next if I upgrade I wanna try the power cup evos since they are similar in design.

11. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

For a track-only bike, I cannot recommend the Supercorsa TDs enough. I dont have personal experience with them, but general feedback on the Metzeler CompK slicks was positive from friends I know running that tire.

lopitt85 likes this.
  12. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Pretty much all of the hyper sport/trackday tires are good up to advance level pace. The Q4 and Pirelli trackday tire are a step above those, then you're into slicks.

Another option to consider is the Metzeler Compk slick. I swapped from the Q3+ to these just to try something new and I'm never going back.

13. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

14. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Well-Known Member

I use them on track day bikes. They work great, no complaints.