1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jon/ Fishing boats... Teach me.

Discussion in 'General' started by assjuice cyrus, Jun 18, 2018.

1. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Small lake by my place is about half skimmed already. It’ll be closed by mid week.

2. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

You’re in a twin city suburb, right?

3. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Yeah, west side of lake Minnetonka.

4. Scotty87

Beautiful area. What’s the weather look like ten days from now?

5. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

A complete mystery til the day after it happens ;)

Rain and low 40’s

Funkm05 likes this.
  6. Scotty87

Only reason I ask is I’m curious what might be blowing through here 2 days later when I’m sitting in a stand. :D

7. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Are you seriously asking what’ll be blowing when you’re in the area?? :Poke: :crackup:

8. Scotty87

Well, yeah!

9. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

I've finally joined this club. I fished for years as a kid, and on occasion as an adult. Since 2011 I've had an HOA pond a few steps from my house, but failed to take advantage of it. Finally, I've seen the light.

I'm walking six houses down the street and tossing a line every few days. Sometimes a week or two passes by. There are four or five ponds to choose from, but only two of them are super easily accessible.

I'm using a medium action rod/reel combo, but imagine I'd really up my game with a nice ultra lightweight combo. Some of these fish are only about two inches in length, although I did catch a sizable catfish tonight. 99% of the time it is super small to decent sized perch.

I say all of that to ask for recommendations. I'd like to purchase a rig that will enhance the experience. I've been a "$30 Wal Mart combo cause I might not use it again" type of guy, but at first glance it appears that $60 - $75 is what it will take and due to Covid I''ll be lucky to see it in July.

10. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Careful what you ask for. Fishing can become very complicated. As as fishing guide in Alaska, a Captaian living fishing the last 15 years around the world the more I research the less I know. From chasing bony fish on a fly, deep dropping 1300 ft with electric reels, trolling, vertical jigging high and low speed, chunking, kite fishing, reef fishing, ect. Going to troll a bit tomorrow

11. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

$200. That’s what it will take to put together a really good rod/reel combo.
    You can get cheaper ones but if you’re looking for something that will last and give worry free performance. That’s the range you’re in.

I would say go for an Abu Garcia Vendetta rod.($80) 7’med/fast spinning paired with a Diawa Fuego 2500 spinning reel.($100) Spool it up with Seagar SmackDown braid in green or PowerPro braid in yellow. 10 or 15 lb. Use 6-10lb fluorocarbon as a leader line adjusted for what you’re fishing for. You can fish everything from bluegill to big bass with that setup.

12. Captain Morgan

Sounds like you know what you are talking about, But coming from salt background a diawa bg 2500 is a better reel. You are right on the braid. With a double uni knot to floro or an fg if you want to get fancy.

13. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Bigger issue right now will be getting your hands on a Vendetta.

14. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

You guys obviously know way more than me, hence the reason I’m asking for help. But wouldn’t a medium with 10 pound line be overkill for my little ponds?

15. Captain Morgan

Yes, I am in the Bahamas so you kind of have to be prepared for a random big fish to take a small bait. But I would downsize, small braid, lite rod and reel in freshwater lakes.

16. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Honestly, for what you’re doing in the little ponds, that $40 ultralight combo from Walmart will do everything you need. That’s exactly what I grew up doing with the subdivision retention ponds, and had a blast doing it. Just go have fun. If something goes wrong with it, go buy another. Now, if you’re truly looking for a solid ultralight setup, I’d strongly look at something like this ... https://www.sportsmansguide.com/pro...ttPdTa5xlPiiScQzKzAfA_TL1K826aQkaAviXEALw_wcB

That said, I’m still an Abu Garcia “fanboy”. Although, my daily rig is now a Daiwa Tatula Type R, so, just try different things out and you’ll find what you like.

17. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

Well that's just it. I was looking for the $40ish combo and am seeking a recommendation. I don't mind spending a little more - even something like what you posted - if it is worthwhile for what I'm doing.

Google tells me the Ugly Stick GX2 is a solid choice for what I'm doing. However I noticed that it - as well as that Pfleuger - are ultra light but medium action. Don't I want an ultra light fast action?

18. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

My $.02 ... at that level, you won’t likely notice a real difference between fast or medium on an ultralight setup. They’re all small/light enough with enough action that for Joe Pond-fisher, it won’t have much of an impact. I’m sure someone will be along shortly to tell me I’m wrong, but again, I grew up doing the same type of fishing for 20 years. It’ll play.

19. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

perfect. Is the ugly stick the way to go, or is there something else in the sub $100 price range that I should order? Again, if something higher end like the link above is the difference between a street tire and race tire I’m happy to play. I am using a speed stick set up that has been a lot more fun since I went to at 8 pound line, and also landed a decent catfish the other night. I imagine that it will be my go to what I’m wanting to play a little larger

20. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

I have an Ugly Stik Lite Pro which is a 6'6 medium action ultra light /w a Shakespear open face reel that has a lot of fight time on it.
    Wal-Mart sold this combo 4-5 years ago for $50-$60 and im still wearing the speckled perch out with it to this day Screenshot_20200719-122858.png Screenshot_20200719-122904.png Screenshot_20200719-125219.png Screenshot_20200719-123108.png , I've caught a ton of 2lbers on it and it's been a solid rig every time I've put it to work.

Upgrade the line to some fluorocarbon and you'll be good for targeting smaller fish in the neighborhood ponds you're fishing.