1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jon/ Fishing boats... Teach me.

Discussion in 'General' started by assjuice cyrus, Jun 18, 2018.

1. Skrawny

Skrawny Well-Known Member

received_391063534914408.jpeg

Caught this mean and fat 43" on the last day of our musky tournament. Ended up winning the biggest fish in that body of water and finished in 15th place out of 187 anglers.

2. groundhogday

groundhogday Well-Known Member

That's awesome that the kids are on board! The rock bass lure he made was incredible. I'm still pretty bummed that I didn't win it when he gave it away, lol.

3. groundhogday

I managed to break the tip off a rod today. That's the second one this year, and I haven't broken a rod since I was grade school age. Both of them medium light spinning rods I use for creek fishing and ned rigs. The one I did today is still under warranty, but I don't know if it'll make sense to ship it to and from St Croix. A 7' rod probably ain't cheap to ship, and it was one of their lower end rods.

4. groundhogday

Awesome! Judging by the way you're dressed you must live up north. I was looking forward to the weather cooling down here, but we had maybe the hottest week of the year last week in freakin September! I raised a small muskie this afternoon, but it didn't stay on the bait once I started my figure eight. Probably saw me since I was standing in shallow water and it wandered away.

Skrawny likes this.
  5. Skrawny

Skrawny Well-Known Member

We were fishing in Chippewa Falls, WI.

It was a chilly ride up the river and that was after about 10 casts. Once the sun came out it warmed up really quick.

groundhogday likes this.
  6. groundhogday

I live very close to Cave Run. But it's too hot to fish in the summer. We have a few rivers and creeks that stay fairly cool year round though. I'm hoping the water temp in the lake goes down pretty soon. There are places with nice weed beds that are within casting range from the bank, and I want a good shot at a big fish. There was a 45 incher caught out of one of the creeks I fish last spring (unfortunately wasn't released), but that's a freak occurrence.

7. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

nice fish

8. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

What are these fish things you guys speak of?:mad::mad::mad:

9. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

In the pictures. Duh. :Poke:

10. groundhogday

I found a used Falcon Lowrider dropshot rod for $35, so I picked it up to replace the one I broke last Sunday. I've barely heard anything about them, but they're about $130 new and it seems well made. Really light, balanced nice, comfortable grip. Just softer than I like for an all around finesse rod. Should be good for ned rigs and the small baits I use when I'm creek fishing. Or really anything with a small exposed hook.

11. groundhogday

Finally broke my muskie slump. I've raised fish almost every time out, had fish bite but miss the lure, and lost one. But I hadn't landed one in 10 weeks and 6 days. It killed a hawg wobbler right next to the bank about 3 feet in front of me. Just a mid 30s fish, but super happy just to get one.
    IMG_20191109_191503_400.jpg

tony 340 and Dan Dubeau like this.
  12. I haven’t been out in about 3 weeks and looking like earliest I can will be Friday when I get back home. My last trip was in a new Allison with the new merc 350r with a few odds n ends done to the motor. No one needs a 106mph bass boat (we did that on a 2 way avg of 30s passes) but why the f not. Not sure if the well over $100k price tags worth it but damn it’s fun.

13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Check your damn messages… :D

14. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

This year was a write off. I've been geeking out on the luremaking stuff though. Bought a bunch of alumisol, and other resins to get into making some lake trout jigs for this winter. Can't wait till hardwater season.

15. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

This year sucked. Summer was about 2 weeks long, as was fall. My boat is going into storage next week. I guess just hope for better luck on the ice at this point.

16. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Should have enough ice to try your luck before the boat gets stored... ;)

17. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Just trailer the boat out on the ice and sit in it while jigging through the ice. :crackup:

18. Scotty87

No joke there’s talk of bringing ice fishing gear with us up north for deer camp in a week. :mad:

19. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Where’s “up north” for you? No ice as far as Peshtigo that I’ve heard of, yet. I’m up in Oshkosh and still have nothing but open water.

20. Scotty87

Dunbar.

mostly kidding, but the reports are skim ice on local lakes.

Funkm05 likes this.