1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jacket to wear over leathers?

Discussion in 'General' started by SDS1, Nov 10, 2019.

1. SDS1

SDS1 Well-Known Member

My leathers are fully perforated, so I'd like to get some suggestions for something to wear over them when it's cold. Something not bulky, but pretty snug fitting so it doesn't flap in the breeze. Basically just to keep the wind off. Suggestions?

2. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

I used to wear a pullover golf wind shirt.

3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

a buddy used to wear a tshirt over his to keep the bugs at bay. Maybe a size larger or 2 windbreaker??

4. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Wrap yourself in pink fiberglass insulation, then tyvek before putting on your leathers. :D

Rico888, G2G and TurboBlew like this.
  5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The clear raincoats would be perfect as a windbreaker.

spcassell likes this.
  6. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

A simple wind breaker will help. I’ve done that.

7. Phl218

Phl218 .

I’ve got cycling wind coats that are perfect under the perforated leathers

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  8. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

I've done a windbreaker, but under the leathers so the wind doesn't tear them to shreds

Phl218 likes this.
  9. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Toughen up and ride harder to stay warm. Or do like me and make sure you have a good layer of fat to keep you warm. It works for whales, seals and me, so it should work for you, too.

10. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

I use windstopper baselayers that I use for cycling, they're pretty great. I rode a day that began around in the mid-30s and didn't feel cold at all once I got moving around on the bike.

GORE makes the windblocking fabric, but they also make a baselayer as well. My baselayers are made by Craft, only thing I'd caution is they're loosely knit and don't do so well around velcros, which are everywhere if you have a Tech-Air vest, so be diligent when aligning your velcros.

upload_2019-11-10_22-29-2.png

https://www.gorewear.com/us/en-us/shop-by-sports/cycling/base-layers/?prefn1=gender&prefv1=Men
    https://www.craftsports.us/collections/mens-baselayers/products/mens-active-extreme-2-0-ls-wind-stopper-baselayer

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  11. :stupid:

I came here to say just that.

Alpinestars, and I think Spidi, and maybe one more company have oversized rain jackets and pants that are clear. They are made to wear over your leathers.

If you been wearing them in a rain race, then it cleared up, you know how hot they can be.

They would do the job.

TurboBlew likes this.
  12. First thing you need to do is locate your balls, then you don’t have to worry about it :) jk. Find a gortex rain jacket that’s lined, a size or two smaller than you’d normally wear, just big enough so you don’t do a fat guy in little coat remake. It will hold a lot of heat in your body and block the wind. If you want something over your leathers, as others said get a proper rain suit. Jackets over leathers flap around and are distracting (to me at least). My problem is always my hands. When it’s cold I wear 7 mil nitrile gloves under my race gloves. I do the same when out fishing and the wind chill cuts through fabric gloves pretty easy. Ya I could wear all leather but with this setup I don’t have to swap out gloves. Once my hands get sweaty I just put a new pair on.

13. I’m going to buy one of those for riding in the woods. Starting to get cold up in the moutnains and I try to ride at least every month out of the year. I usually miss all the good weather and end up having to ride in the shit weather.

rice r0cket likes this.
  14. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

Grab the armored underwear too, helps with the shrinkage.

15. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

Heat's in the tools.

16. Inquizid

Inquizid Member Well-Known

Learned a quick fix for this at Tally’s infamously chilly first round one year. Get some flattened paper grocery bags and slide them inside your leathers before zipping up.

Also a frog-togg top bought one size up should fit over top and not tear from the wind like a lot of non-moto application rain/windbreaker coats will.

17. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

18. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

19. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I just use my old Teknic rain jacket over my leathers to break the wind when it's cold. I purposefully chose a size XXL when I got it just for that.

20. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

I wear a simple PVC raincoat over mine. the kind that's actually waterproof, nit just nylon. no wind, that and along with something covering your neck...you will be good to go, and if it rains youre still good. since its a little thicker material it doesn't flap all over either. I also have a pair of pants I wear over my jeans in the rain or cold as well. layers suck, but freezing your ass off sucks more.