1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VJ23 swingarm wanted

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by RGV 500, Oct 26, 2019.

1. RGV 500

RGV 500 OLD, but still FAST

I would like to run the 5.5" rear wheel that I have for the RGV, but I need a wider swingarm than the VJ22 SP or Banana.

If anyone has a VJ23 swingarm in good shape, let me know how much you want for it, or what you would be willing to trade.

TIA for any help with this.

2. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

I have the whole bike :D

Have you tried asking on RGV250.co.uk forums or searching on Japamart, Ebay UK and Ebau Au?

I will keep my eye out...I am wanting to update the 3" and 4.5" rims to modern GSXR for 3.5" and 5.5" so if you have any info I could use it.
    I talked to Dymag, they have a set but only in Magnesium and they are $3950 with shipping!

3. RGV 500

I have looked on RGV250.com and they have 1 or 2 listed, but they don't look the best in the pictures.

I did manage to find a 3rd one that looks pretty good and has all the bits I would need, but I am just balking at the price.

I guess I am just going to have to bite the bullet and spend the coin......

I have a 2007 GSXR 600 complete front end on the bike. Gotta have radial brakes.....

For the rear, I did get both the output shafts with the trans, so I will just switch to the longer one once I get the swingarm I need. I have a friend with a lathe, so spacers is not an issue.

The wheels I got are from Marchesini and were on sale when I ordered them. I assumed that they were in stock at the place I ordered from. I was incorrect. I had to wait a good while, but one day the UPS guy shows up with a big box from Italy. They are worth the wait. I got forged aluminum since I will not be aiming for lap record lap times. They tend to do a little better when the road/track gets a bit rough. I am no longer looking for that last 0.10 second, so saving $1000 or so made sense to me.

Good luck !!!!

4. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

yeah I read somewhere they only produced a little over 2200 VJ23 's
    Probably spend the $$, in the end you will probably feel the same way about
    the swingarm as the Marchesinis

Are you building a VJ22 platform with a RG500 engine??

PS, I talked to Dymag who has a set of bolt ons for the VJ23 but they only offer
    magnesiums and they are $3950 to my door.....OUCH!!!!

How was the front end swap?

5. RGV 500

Here is what I have:

1991 VJ22 frame
    1986 RG500 engine w/Nova trans and dry clutch
    2007 GSXR 600 front end (complete) - had to machine the upper bearing area on the frame. Well spent $100 for a perfect drop-in fit.
    Mark Dent Stainless/Carbon GP pipes
    Mark Dent engine cradle tubes
    Mark Dent variable timing pickup
    Mike Velasco ported cylinders and machined heads - truly things of beauty
    AIM MXL Pista dash w/datalogging
    Currently on stock carbs bored to 30.5mm. Have 4 complete TMX35 carbs with boots and all the tuning parts waiting for suspension dial-in to be used.
    Ohlins RGV250M rear shock reworked by Ohlins for my skill level and weight.
    Tyga bodywork with some AWESOME paint. Not a decal on it, but looks almost stock for an RGV 250
    Marchesini 10 spoke wheels in forged aluminum for a 2007 GSXR 600.
    Lightweight generator in a box. Will wait until bike is sorted to use. Requires new ignition system.

One thing that is in a box on the shelf that I may use if I am unhappy with the OEM ignition and PV controller is an Autronic SMC programmable ECU. It would give me full authority over ignition timing down to the 10th of a degree as well as an integrated power valve controller that would also be fully programmable. The really cool thing with this is, even though it is a bit older than the current crop of programmable ECUs, it has PLENTY for what I would need to do on the RGV. As an aside, if I get totally stupid one day and decide I have to fit fuel injection, I already know how to program the unit. I was also dumb enough to buy the other 'box' you need to use the 'Autotune' function of the ECU. You tell the thing what AFR you want and hold it at that load point, and the wide-band sensor and tuning box adjust the pulse width until it is right where you want it to be. It is a fun toy waiting for a new job since it came out of the rally car.

Best guess is, with all the correct parts (the light weight ones) that it will be somewhere in the 320# range with enough fuel for some dyno runs. Fully sorted with the stock carbs, I will be really happy with 100 HP at the rear wheel. With the TMX 35s on it, I would be happy anywhere near 130 HP at the rear wheel.

Should be quality entertainment !!!!

And yours........??????

6. Raging inferno

Raging inferno Well-Known Member

7. RGV 500

Tried there too. They really don't have much for the VJ23.

8. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

I just picked up a 96 RGV250 SP VJ23....I have ordered some jetting, air box, and jolly motos with carbon cans so I can start to derestrict it. Going to more than
    likely buy the Zeeltronic ignition box w/ PV control for it. Just trying to find out if anyone out there has converted a plug and play set up so I do not have to cut
    up the stock harness? Or if I cut I can make both boxes a plug in play. Hate to cut the oem harness...

I would really like a VJ22 with an RG500 engine in it for sure!

First race bike was a 1992 VJ22 model, black with the teal zig zag stripe with purple outline....similar to pic

Attached Files:

9. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

Haven't done it yet, but planning to. I am not sure if VJ23 uses the same ECU connector as the VJ21/VJ22 but I would suspect not since the bikes are so different.

It seems like most people opt to just cut up the stock wiring harness (I have the same reluctance to do so as you). In my research, I have found 3 possible sources for the plug required to connect to the existing wiring harness:
    1. Pick up a dead ECU and hack it up to remove the plug. It looks like a messy process but some of have done it. I won't go this route.
    2. There is someone on the RGV forum that is 3d printing the plug. I can PM you his name if interested. I inquired on pricing: 50EUR plus shipping for 1 set of connectors.
    3. Ignitech makes a similar replacement ECU and he has a connector adapter that goes from the Ignitech unit to the RGV stock plug. Several people have reported that he has sold them just the RGV plug even though it isn't listed on the price sheets. Of course, I'm sure he'd rather sell you the whole Ignitech unit and adapter.
    I'm getting ready to go down this road myself.

10. RGV 500

I have a straight VJ22 frame on the shelf that has been mostly prepped for the conversion. Your best bet at getting a 500 engine is the auction this weekend.

If you are interested in working out some sort of trade, let me know. I am about hanf an hour north of Seattle.

I would REALLY like a VJ23 swingarm assembly. Beyond that, just ask........

Oh yeah.....it's just wires DON'T BE AFRAID to hack away !!!!! (I am considering using my Autronic SMC ECU for my RGV)

11. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

I was informed the 3D printed plugs were not that good. Zeeltronic is working on a solution but I have not been able to get any time frame from them.

VJ22 and VJ23 Zeeltronic boxes are not the same nor the plugs from what I have found.

I dont want to cut the harness, keeping all parts that are original. Hopefully years to come it will be worth something to a collector.

12. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

I saw the auction and the prices kept inflating......

What kind of trade?

13. RGV 500

Well, I do have an 'extra' VJ22 frame with either a banana or SP swingarm, assuming I can get a VJ23 unit. That would be fine with me. Shipping will suck, but it is what it is. Because it is NOT a 17 digit serial number, I do NOT have a title for it. I would be happy to write a bill of sale listing the VIN though.

14. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

Oh I see but I dont want to pull the swingarm off my complete bike:D

For some reason i thought you mean your RGV250/500 project for the VJ23 I have lol.....

you can send me details, price, and pics of the frame and swingarm to gpracer15 (at) yahoo.com

15. RGV 500

Somehow, I found one and it is on the way.

jksoft likes this.
  16. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

Awesome!

17. RGV 500

Well....................SHIT !!!!!

The place that had a brand new swingarm has had my money for about 2 months and this morning I get a note stating that they have refunded part of it. By 'part' they meant all of it.

They were wrong about their inventory and I am not back looking for a VJ23 swingarm AGAIN.

So........let me know !!!

18. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

Damn that sucks. I placed a large order with a company in Itally for some Jolly Moto Exhaust and other things for my RGV back in October. Final run on the VJ23 exhaust was to be done in December.
    Only to find out a few weeks ago Jolly Moto sold the company and remaining orders to a new owner. I canceled my order cause I had no idea who the new owner was nor what the quality would be. Last week I found
    out it was Jim Lomas who bought the company....damn.....

I will keep my eye out for one. Im thinking about selling my VJ23, to many other things I need to get done and selling would free up the cash!

19. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

20. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member