1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Enclosed Trailer Features

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by prm, Nov 3, 2019.

1. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Yeah but you need three TLRs too.

:D

TLR67 likes this.
  2. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

For the 6x12, you can go with the 5200lb single axle. It comes with the brakes standard that way too. I am glad I went that route. With two bikes and a full load of gear it would definitely be pushing close to the 3200lb max of the standard axle with brakes. We even put three bikes in there for one trip and I am sure it was over 3200lb total. So you get plenty of load rating, good maneuverability and basically no scrubbing when making sharp turns.

If you think I am exaggerating the weights, I have a spreadsheet where I added up everything that went into the trailer. Make sure to include it all. Chairs, fuel, TRS and plate, tie down anchors, canopy, generator, tool box, spare parts, spare wheels / tires, cot / bed, cabinets / shelving, fuel jugs, etc.

If you go with an all aluminum trailer, the 3200lb axle is probably fine due to the lighter trailer weight.

craig641, prm and ricracer16 like this.
  3. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

I'm in the same boat as @ducnut

When I first started all of this nearly 5 years ago, I went out and bought a 6x12 v-nose as I felt that it would be enough to haul one bike to the track, tools, etc and then also use it to haul mine and my fiancee's street bikes up to the mountains since we'd be staying in cabins. Never expected to wire up the trailer for shore power, never expected t put AC in it, but I ended up doing it all out of wanting convenience at the track.

Fast forward to the present and now I am hauling 2 bikes + pit bike to the track and barely have any room for tools, fuel jugs, chairs, etc. and I have to throw crap in the bed of the truck as well. If we bring our two dogs (50lb each) to the track with us, it gets very cramped hanging out in the AC between sessions. Packing up also takes so much longer as everything has to go back in the correct spot to maintain weight balance.

Next year, I will probably start looking at toy haulers, but I would have more than likely avoided doing that if I had just bought a 7x16 from the start. If I were to do it again, I'd just buy a trailer done up the way I wanted it instead of going for the first one on the lot that had the basic features (trailer brakes, ramp door, latched side door) as I spent a lot of time pulling all of the walls out of the trailer to insulate it and then fabbing up a ceiling including and wiring it up.

ducnut likes this.
  4. prm

prm Well-Known Member

I wish I could find a good deal on a Featherlite. My wife’s horse trailer is a featherlite and I really like them.

and what you’re all saying is I have a toy spending disease, but I’m early and have no idea just how bad it will get!

I was looking at a 6x12 thinking it seemed too big! Ha...

5. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I had a Featherlite 1610-6712. And, you’re right to like them. My issue is finding anything in stock and pricing. A buddy just received his and it took nearly three weeks for delivery of a pretty basic 1610-6716 and he gave ~$16K. They’re the best built and best pulling trailers I’ve experienced.

*1610 is the basic model number of their wood floor, enclosed cargo trailer. The last four numbers indicate the size: 6’7” X length.

Sundowner is the only other trailer I know of using an extruded top rail, like Featherlite. That adds a lot of strength to the box.

A couple other higher quality trailers are ATC-Aluminum Trailer Company and inTech. I’ve been cross-shopping the ATC Raven lineup. I don’t have an inTech dealer around me.

6. R/T Performance

R/T Performance Well-Known Member

this was our legend 7x14 all aluminium single torsion axle plus 6" height 6'6" inside 13,500 ac

Home depot brand hdx flooring made by g flooring like 80 bucks for the roll
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

prm and ducnut like this.
  7. R/T Performance

this is the 6x12 i owned before the legend. i wouldn't try a 5 it will likely be to small.
    [​IMG]

ducnut likes this.
  8. ricracer16

ricracer16 Well-Known Member

The plan is to haul 4 sportbikes, a bicycle or two and a monkey pitbike, and the regular track needs, tools, canopy, Jenny. What size would guys recommend, we’re also thinking of sleeping in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

As it is, you’ve got a big Sprinter and the engine is already working pretty hard, so I’d stay in a 7’ width for aerodynamics. For length, lay out everything as you would load it inside a trailer, then measure the footprint. Four bikes is going to eat ~14’ of length. If you did a 20’, that’d give you an additional 6’ for the rest. A V-nose will gain even more square footage. The shelving units I mentioned before will allow you to really save space with track equipment and tools, by going vertical. Some of the longer 7’ trailers I’ve seen are Cross Trailers with a 20’ and Legend Trailers with a 31’. Only you will know just how much length will suit your needs and what your parking restrictions will be.

10. prm

prm Well-Known Member

I just like the Snap On tool chest!

R/T Performance likes this.
  11. R/T Performance

7x21+ vnose would be minim.I could could fit(legend 7x14+4 ft v ) 4 full size bikes and generators (2x2000) canopy table ect or 3 full size the z125 and my tool box but it was a tetris game to load it in the correct order.

ducnut likes this.
  12. R/T Performance

I really had it set perfect with tools but we bought a work and play and don't have a good spot to tie it in now.so i am using Milwaukee pack out boxes.
    the snap on is my man cave tools in my walk out basement. i have a triple bank in the shop

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Rule number one is figure out the exact length you think is perfect and add two feet. If you were going to be cramped on the initial guesstimate add four feet

R/T Performance, prm and ducnut like this.
  14. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

max length for a 6' wide trailer is 14' plus a 2' V. Only 12 sq ft less than a 7x14.
    A 6' wide trailer is 70" between the walls... more than enough room to haul 4 full sized bikes, a scooter, a rolling tool cart, a genny, and some leathers. Put some shelves or hangers up to keep stuff off the floor. Also with ez track on the walls you can make a sturdy shelf for transport. Ramp door is not a necessity when a 2x12 works well and can be stowed just as easy. Ventilation and windows are a must!!

15. prm

prm Well-Known Member

Finding 6x12s with a torsion axle is not easy. There’s a few around but it really limits options. Though I haven’t asked if others would upgrade. Might be easier if I just add it.

Anyone dealt with Trailer Showroom? They make an all-aluminum trailer with torsion axle.

16. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

You will likely never find what you want on a lot. Custom order one with the features you want.

ducnut, prm and TurboBlew like this.
  17. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Agree on no v-nose purely for the ability to have a flat wall for a shelf. I prefer 7' as I am VERY claustrophobic and two bikes in a 6' hurts to even look at. Also consider some vertical etrack on the wall to fasten stuff to. Other suggestions are great. Oh and more $$$ but consider an aluminum frame. More $$$ but no rust and about 800lb less tow weight. Also double axles is a win on blowout plus I think they have to have brakes. Brakes are a win.

18. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

Setting up a 7 x12 after years with a 6 x 10, so looking at some of the ideas here. Nice setup by R/T, but the one thing I've done so far with basic wheel chocks is to stagger the position of the bikes (two) so the bars do not end up next to each other so you can't walk by them.

19. prm

prm Well-Known Member

Sure seems that way. Trailer showroom makes it easy to customize. Window, torsion axle, etc.

20. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

I have a 6x12 single axle and routinely carry two sportbikes side by side. I have also carried 4 bikes by having all 4 stacked in horizontally instead. I built a shelf in the nose of the trailer that is about 1.5 ft deep, and gives me 3 shelves (floor, middle and top shelf) for storing all of my my riding gear with spares, tools, supplies, pop-up, etc... I bought my trailer used from a contractor so I gutted it and put it the way I wanted it.

I added some of that vinyl flooring that you'll see in rental property kitchen (rolls, not tiles). I insulated everything except the floor and put the OSB walls back up, and primed and painted the walls a really light gloss gray. I added hooks to the walls where I'm able to hang my leathers while traveling, towels while camping. I have little screw in eyelets that I use to bungee my leathers to the wall while driving. I added a $150 window unit a/c because it was inexpensive, sufficient, and easy to add.

Rear ramp door is nice. I painted mine with textured deck paint. Extremely durable and grippy even when wet. I still want to add a window to my side door. Full size spare tire mounted to my tongue. I have open/close style side vents. I didnt do a top vent since I was putting in a/c. I left the outside looking like a ratty contractor trailer so no one thinks to break in looking for an easy score. I've even toyed with the idea of having some fake magnetic signage made to stick on the sides that say "Mobile Porta Potty Cleaning" or something, lol.

I mounted a nice bright 4ft LED light inside. Last thing I can think of is that I made some closeable ports on the floor (under the shelving) that I run my extension cords through for power, and plenty of anchor points strategically placed so that I can strap down all kinds of loads. I have a piece of utility carpet that covers the whole floor when I'm set up. And I sleep on a air mattress or fold out cot depending on my mood. It's big enough to carry my generator and ice chest as well.

prm likes this.