1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2019 MotoGP fantasy league

Discussion in 'General' started by dsapsis, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Phl218

Phl218 .

Cal is good for a crash every other race

2. Kramerica

Kramerica ISO: Intern named Darin

I vote no on the 2 race mulligan proposal, and here's why. We have 3 guys that all could win it all going into the last race. Plus the next 4 who are less than 1 point per race apart. Adding a layer of complexity to the final scoring will take away from your ability to strategize and play a "riskier" or "safer" lineup and make up ground against the field.

19 races (or 20 next year depending on Brno), is not THAT hard to keep up with. You have at a MINIMUM 6 days (usually 2 weeks) to enter a lineup if you know you are going to be tight on time. I moved across the country in the middle of the season and still only *almost* forgot a lineup one time. I've seen way too people post on here about forgetting a lineup and still manage top 5 for it to be flukey. If your strategy is to roll with one lineup for the whole year and plan to cancel out any "flukes", then it should be even easier to remember your lineup each race. It would feel pretty cheesy if somebody wins this in the last week because they forgot to enter a lineup and won it all on dumb luck.

A lot of fantasy leagues will invoke a dollar penalty for a no lineup week, but I don't like that solution here.

Then again, maybe it says something about the rest of us who can't beat a person's lineup that was based on a completely different race weekend. o_O

BigBird likes this.
  3. Kramerica

^^^ Again, I know it's early to have this discussion. Feel free to table this until next spring if you see fit.

Big supporter of the weekly high score model, though. That should cut down some of the "no lineup" players too. $20 per race winner still leaves $700+ in the pot to divvy up.

badmoon692008 and Phl218 like this.
  4. Phl218

Phl218 .

IMHO we play for the championship. so essentially you bet on MM winning the 2020 title and rake in as many points below that.

i'd not be as interested in single race bets, but would be open for one race of the season to be selected for it.

5. Kramerica

Agreed on playing for the championship, but realistically how many players really feel like they can win the championship after the mid season break? Not to mention $20 for a weekly high is a drop in the bucket compared to the $700+ (I think) to the overall winner. Weekly high will keep the other ~ 15 of 22 players engaged right up until the end.

Phl218 likes this.
  6. Phl218

Phl218 .

engagement-wise - da stimme ich zu.

BigBird likes this.
  7. Kramerica

If you notice, with the exception of CrazyMoFo (I see you homie), the only people posting on this thread were within striking range of the championship up until Australia. We don't have players, we don't have a league anymore.

crazymofo likes this.
  8. BigBird

BigBird blah

I mean we still got over 50% posting lineups as of last week, so there's still some pride/engagement going on. I don't think I've won any single week this year, but here I am. So technically a weekly winner does not have to be a top player, which is cool, and a slightly different version of the overall, which works. So a game within a game. I like.

Chino52405 and sbk1198 like this.
  9. sidepipe79

sidepipe79 Well-Known Member

I gave up hope on a championship podium a few weeks ago. I will admit that i remembered this week but lost motivation. I would be up for the weekly payout, a chance at even 20 bucks would have gotten me to put in a lineup this week.

badmoon692008 and BigBird like this.
  10. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

I am with you?
    It's always been a bit like that, but with 8 folks and only 2 in the running, the downlist six got lots of fun jibbing*.
    A ton of folks were new this year, and honestly, the game can be easy WRT to investment, but you are very unlikely to do really well. I used to be stunned at how consistently well Papa would do, then I realized he paid a lot of attention to individual's pace, and their past ability to not get held up, vs racers that had trouble managing tyres. I think the Euro scene just covers this a lot more, not that it's any intrinsic mental wonder on his part*.
    In other words, the basic mediocre strategy so well outlined by Chino on the previous page just wont take you to the top. You need to work on both the top of the ticket and the bottom. Those last few places can be all the difference come end-of-year.

We can keep the discussion going here -- I'll compile them for when we launch next spring.
    Let's make this last race a good one. I'm not going to say anything about precipitation, as my reign on that topic was very short-lived.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    BigBird and Phl218 like this.
  11. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

I'm still posting, and haven't been in the running since qatar lol.

I don't like the payout for race wins. What we could do, is only score the top 10 if you miss picking a round, and it defaults to your last weeks picks. Or maybe scores places 2-10. That way there's a penalty for not picking, but it doesn't throw your whole season out. Think of it like a long lap penatly.

It removes the hypothetical situation of somebody missing their picks, but still winning a round.

Other than that I think the year was great. I'm already looking forward to not picking J-lo for a breakout win under the lights next year.

12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I used to pay attention to a bunch of things but the difference between doing well and getting into the top 100 worldwide was in the bottom-five management. When only two guys are winning races, you make the difference like being a real close attention to who's getting the last few points. That tiny difference every week builds up.

I haven't been paying attention to the discussion you guys are having about people missing rounds but it seems that things haven't changed much around here. Maybe this has been proposed already but a solution could be for everyone to get one safety Top-15 sealed before the Qatar round. Everyone who misses the deadline for an individual race would received their safety points for that weekend. Maybe at the halfway point in the season, you allow for one new safety entry for the second half of the season. Just thinking this through as I'm writing it.

BigBird likes this.
  13. Phl218

Phl218 .

previous race pick is safe enough for me. unless those picks sucked too :D

@BigBird can you make a chart with lines for the races and players over the year and post it?

'd love to see where those curves dip and how the consistency comes out visually.

thanks

BigBird likes this.
  14. BigBird

BigBird blah

Like how many entries received per round?

Sent from my smatrfone

15. Phl218

Phl218 .

i was just thinking for the results

but entries per race would be cool too

16. Kramerica

I think @BigBird is already doing plenty of work on this home-made fantasy sports hosting. And a fine job of it, I should add.

Let's keep this simple. I'm sure he doesn't want to go through everyone's sealed entries for a no-lineup.

Same thing with the 2-10 proposal. The other downside to throwing out ANY race, is it will almost certainly be a wet race. Scores are noteably lower when it rains, or some chaos happens (Catalunya). We are picking against each here, so why shouldn't we include the unpredictable? It's like an NFL player getting ejected after just one catch for 8 yards. Sucks, but that's racing.

17. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

Not really, you just look at the overall score minus the bottom. Whoever is keeping tabs of the scoring like bigbird is doing now, just excludes the lowest one each time. It would not be any different than it is now at all.

I agree with you, I haven't missed any. There have been times when I PM'd bigbird late at night while I was at the track during race weekends with my pics because I couldn't get it to work on the phone (site kinda sucks on mobile), but I still managed to do it every time. How do you know there are people in the top 5 that didn't submit their picks? I haven't had that impression but it's also hard to tell, unless you're bigbird and see all of that stuff.

BigBird likes this.
  18. sbk1198

This is what we do on another fantasy league I'm in and I don't like this method at all. Granted we're not doing top 15 over there, but still...this last round, the top 4 guys in the points were people who forgot to submit picks and their "default" picks were used. Pure luck especially since they decided before Qatar that the top 3 in the championship will be Marquez, Dovi and Vinales. I've done my picks every week and I'm still losing in overall points to people that have only submitted picks a few times this whole year just because they keep getting the top 3 right a bunch of times. I think if you don't submit anything, you get 0 points...just like in racing. No show, no points.

19. sbk1198

I haven't been in the running since the beginning. I was actually farther down the order until these last couple of rounds where I did better and bumped up to 5th overall (was 4th for one week). In the end it doesn't really matter how many people keep submitting picks. As long as we get a good amount at the beginning that's what matters. Everyone pays in at the start. After that, if you choose to stop halfway in the season because you don't think you have a chance, then so be it, the money's still in the pot. I knew after the first handful of rounds I didn't even have a shot at the podium, but I continued on just to see where I end up in the end even if I won't win any money. It's all just for fun mainly anyway.

20. crazymofo

crazymofo Then i was like...Braaap!

I have missed getting picks in the past few races due to a change in work cycles.. I'd think i'll get enough time before the race to do so, only to be caught up at work and so busy that I just plain forget to follow it up.... the joys of running your own business and staff up and walking out seeking a career change!

FWIW my call in picks did pretty damn shit house for all bar this weekend just gone. 1/5 saw me inside the top 5 the rest saw me in the bottom 5 each week. So I dont see a problem with how it currently is set up. I will be back again next year and hopefully can be more consistent with my tipping as well, no doubt being a jlo tragic will see me be shithouse just the same :P oh well, I dont mind sending $70aus across the pond in the name of fun.