1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Inmate Early Release

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Britt, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    crashman likes this.
  2. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Without knowing the crimes and circumstances,
    it's difficult to say what success it will have.
    Hope springs eternal.

3. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

At least the parole board reviewed the cases, instead of just opening the floodgates.

4. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

For crimes no longer considered a felony today is key. Beyond that hard to say with little detail

5. Montoya

Montoya Well-Known Member

1. “Will save $12M...”
    2. “Crimes no longer prosecuted as felonies...”
    3. See number one.

6. In Your Corner

I do think we have to find ways to jail fewer
    people but not by ignoring low-level crime.
    Alternative sentencing would be better.

R Acree and ducnut like this.
  7. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

So we just gonna act like these folks didn't commit a crime to begin with?? Cut years off the sentence they received, or now not even prosecute the crimes...interesting.

I can see these with some drug possession crimes, of age prostitution..but theft, robbery, assault..I'm not seeing that working out well..we already have issues here in the Atl with the revolving door and sub 18yr olds..this will just make it worse. (it this trend catches on).

cav115 likes this.
  8. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time... nevermind.

9. Inst Tech

Inst Tech ain't no half steppin

That Governor has been kicking ass. I think he took a selfie last week in a tree stand bowhunting.
    2 teacher pay raises
    1 billion$ in their checking account
    Efficiency up
    Waste down
    Had his DHS director cut 400 positions and gave the other 3700 pay raises

“This is really all about running a big service organization,” Stitt said. “And these state agency heads, there’s really no incentive. I’m trying to change the incentives to actually make decisions and to actually save money and deliver outcomes and to define success, because there’s really no incentive for them to make a tough decision, to fire anybody, to redirect, to reorganize. And that’s what I’m constantly trying to manage those folks running those agencies, that, ‘Hey, you’ve got to dig into the weeds and you’ve got to manage and you’ve got to think of things differently.’”
    Stitt requested, and the Legislature approved, statutory changes that allow him to appoint the directors of five major agencies. After learning 33 state agencies, boards, and commissions had spent $1.5 million annually on contract lobbyists, the governor also issued an executive order that prohibits agencies from using taxpayer funds to hire outside lobbyists.

Anyways. They have 26,000 people locked up. As Montoya said saving 12mil (it's actually going to save 50 million). This is all a complete case by case basis. I saw a lot were for selling a few ounces of weed. I don't wanna pay to feed house and clothe you for years for selling weed.

I don't think crime will surge in the state because of this.

scottn and Montoya like this.
  10. Montoya

Wouldn’t act as if they didn’t commit a crime. Would simply ask what would make the biggest impact on reducing recidivism and would be economically sustainable. Our prison system is chronically underfunded, understaffed, and is not designed to reintegrate people into society. We have to either become more selective on who goes to prison or be willing to cough up more tax dollars to properly staff them. When I taught college classes in a prison, I was taken back by the number of repeat offenders who had minor misdemeanors upgraded to felonies. Wouldn’t consider myself soft on crime, but do believe we need to be selective and effective.

Britt and ducnut like this.
  11. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

How do we effectively remove the Culture of Crime from the souls of today's youth?

ducnut likes this.
  12. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Well maybe it would not work today but the old fashioned method was severe consequences for misbehavior. :D

K51000 and cav115 like this.
  13. Montoya

14. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Parenting.
    And no, not holding my breath.

15. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Think about that article for just a second. Points 1-4 are all about the data not supporting the perception. Then point 5 is all about how most crimes go unreported. So ... what’s actually factually known??

16. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Of funny, not so funny note, here the Atl Police Chief admits that if you have 34 cars broke into and property stolen in a neighborhood or parking deck on the same night, it is listed as ONE (1) Burglary, not 34...so that is also a reason for crime stats to be lower, it isn't just here.

17. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

Whoever made that decision to call it 1 needs to be fired.

R Acree and Montoya like this.
  18. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Cross between all the City's top level command, Mayor, PC, Council..it makes the crime stats fall...most are elected officials.

19. In Your Corner

Who are doing a great job of bringing down the crime rate.

20. R Acree

R Acree Banned

IF at first you don't succeed, hide the failures.

K51000 and Banditracer like this.