1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

fzr400 spin on oil filter?

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by racer_11, May 9, 2019.

1. racer_11

racer_11 moto nyne guy

I was changing the oil and filter on my 400 and wasn't digging the mess I made removing the cartridge filter/housing and got me thinking: can the spin on adapter from the 600 work?

2. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

I have that adapter on 2 of my 400's........but I think they may have been slightly modded to work.They were already on the engines when I got them. From of the top of my head,I "think" the side that goes to the cases was ground down to fit.Its been a couple years since either was removed,so I might be a little off. But for the most part I think its an easy fit.

3. racer_11

racer_11 moto nyne guy

thanks man. I have the adapter and will try fitting it on and see where to grind it down. just from looking at where the plate would mount on the engine it does protrude, if that's the right word, a little and would cause the adapter to not completely seal up against the case.

4. SBKBee

SBKBee Owner: FZ hotel

I'm late to the party but yes, machine down the protrusion and install the 600 plate.

5. racer_11

racer_11 moto nyne guy

thanks Bee!

6. BlueR32

BlueR32 Well-Known Member

This is a great idea. Based on reading this post I am going to do the same on my track bike. The power of the forum once again!

7. Scott McKee

Scott McKee FZR crasher

You can machine down the nub on the case like Bee says or you can machine down the back side of the plate. I did the plate option since I didn't feel like pulling the motor apart to accomplish this mid season. Don't remember and measurements so calculate on your own carefully. :)

8. SBKBee

Scott, are you thinking of the oil cooler plate? There's not a whole lot of material to machine off of the spin on filter plate.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  9. racer_11

racer_11 moto nyne guy

with the two choices, just as you did, i went with machining down the inner diameter of the adapter plate face. it ended up being about 3mm of machining down the area that mates to the protruding area of the engine and the o ring on the adapter seems to seal against the case. i mounted the spin on filter and serviced with oil and no leaks, but i haven't started the engine yet. i would have preferred to grind the case down, but went with making the adapter fit at this time. Bee, i'm not running the oil cooler adapter on the 400, just the fzr600 spin on oil filter adapter, but now i am staring at my fz600 and thinking of adding that now! hahaha, maybe another day!

10. SBKBee

let me know if you need a plate. I have a spare that I can part with.

11. BlueR32

Bee....if racer_11 doesn't take the plate I will. Let me know.

12. racer_11

racer_11 moto nyne guy

I have a oil cooler set up I can rob from a spare fz engine I have, so I won't need to buy Bee's, but I do appreciate the offer from ya Bee!

13. BlueR32

I just now got stuck into this mod and I see where the "grinding down" is needed now that I have old filter & housing off. Easiest would be to grind down the inside of the plate but it can't be exactly round due to the two channel "ears" at the top of the projection on the motor. I thought it would be an easy job on a lathe but now re-thinking this. If anyone is interested in taking the parts (unmodified plate, holding bolt, o-ring and three spin-on filters) I'd let them go for $60 including shipping to mainland US.

14. Estebann

Estebann Member

Hey Blue,
    If you havent already Id like to take the adapter plate off your hands. Let me know!
    Thanks

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
  15. BlueR32

Estebann I just sent you a PM