1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SpaceX

Discussion in 'General' started by Chasbro, Sep 28, 2019.

1. Chasbro

Chasbro Well-Known Member

Anybody catch Elon's presentation? I was down in Boca Chica on Thursday and the Star Ship was in two pieces and today its all stacked up with steering fins top and bottom. I've never seen anything progress at that rate. He even wants to fly it in a month or two.

2. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

LMAO... and you believe him? (I'm a huge EM fan, but cmon)

418 likes this.
  3. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Been looking forward to this presentation. The actual talk (other than the backdrop) was a bit light on new info, but the Q&A was great.

Elon ways sets ambitious timelines as motivation and typically assuming ideal scenarios. I think everyone knows that it'll probably take longer than that, but it's still a blistering pace compared to everyone else.

This year has been really fun to follow, 2020 should be exciting.

4. That guy needs to hand over the reigns of his car company to someone who knows how to build cars, he can still have control over the tech side. Then take his time and focus on stuff like this

5. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

The success of SpaceX can be mostly attributed to Gywnne Shotwell. Elon is just a noisemaker in the corner and the board will look to her leadership.

True, Elon was the one that threw money at commercializing space launches, but now, he just needs to take his money and disappear.

6. Good to know. Just looked her up, bit too smart for me. Elon just needs his brain stimulated and buy off on an idea and run with it. I admire the guys creativity but he also seems arrogant enough when he can’t do something or when to take a step back.

SoCal1000 and Phl218 like this.
  7. rwdfun

rwdfun

In recent interviews Musk says he's the chief engineer on the BFR stuff. He joked that he was discussing details and that person asked who really leads the design work. He said he did.

Anyway, what is SpaceX up to recently. We haven't had a cool new launch in a while. I'm getting bored. Do something cool again. And I don't mean move an oversized tin can a few feet away. Send that thing to orbit

mpusch likes this.
  8. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

They're working a couple huge projects at the same time. Still working on testing the new parachute for crew dragon so they can get a manned test mission to the ISS, and a slew of everything else involved with that.

They're working furiously on the starship prototypes given that Elon estimates only 5% of the company is dedicated to that project. Current "estimate" is December for the first launch.

Plus they're full steam ahead on their Starlink project.

I'm with you on just wanting to see it fly, but they seem to be in a serious ramp up phase.

9. Phl218

Phl218 .

develop better CGI

10. Chasbro

Chasbro Well-Known Member

The Starship is headed to the pad. You can watch live on LabPadre's utube channel

11. jonathanp

jonathanp Tech drop out

They also keep laying people off which is not going to help speed things up as he wants.

12. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

I think that's debatable.

13. opinion914

opinion914 Well-Known Member

This immediately came to mind after watching the live feed...
    [​IMG]

scottn likes this.
  14. rwdfun

rwdfun

Looks like it's going to windy down there tomorrow. Hope it doesn't blow over

15. Wheeliest

Wheeliest ʍɥǝǝןıǝsʇ

i know a company that manufactures parts for spaceX and he is very much involved (elon) more than you think (not just throwing money). 99% of you have no idea what youre talking about really, its crazy some of the NDA T's & C's people have to sign when involved in SpaceX stuff.

16. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

Love those NDAs. I have done work for a company that I can't even name. :) Huge company.

Wheeliest likes this.
  17. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

As RWD alluded to, they don't call you the chief engineer for nothing...

18. CRA_Fizzer

Starlink going up shortly.

19. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

We're ready! 1111190949_HDR-1746x3492.jpg

Chris and OGs750 like this.
  20. CRA_Fizzer

Stuck another landing!