1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Dodge Durango Owners?

Discussion in 'General' started by Burt Munro, Oct 21, 2002.

1. Burt Munro

Burt Munro Well-Known Member

Thinking about buying a '99 Dodge Durango 4x4 with the 5.2L V-8. Anyone out there have any experience with them? Curious about any frequent reliability issues that tend to be fairly common with them. I know the 5.7L is supposed to have pretty good towing capabilities for a midsize SUV and that the 5.2L does OK too. Let me know anything you have dealt with on one of these.

Thanks, Rick

2. Strick

Strick Good to be king

I have a 99 with the 5.2. I think it is one of the better SUV's out there. I have had no problems at all with mine. It has about 48K miles on it. i have never towed an enclosed trailer but have towed a few different trailers without any problem. It has a lot of torque. I get like 12-13 mpg, but atleast the tank lasts about 300-330 miles. It handles great, and is pretty comfortable.

3. cam2win

cam2win Well-Known Member

Your 99 Durango

That Durango motor has a 5.2 V8 which is a 318. This motor has been in the Chrysler line up for over 30 years. This motor is very reliable and good puller for light trailer loads. The 4 wheel drive system is the same that they put in Jeeps, which is very good. I used to sell Dodge when I was in college, so I am pretty knowledgeable. I sold my mother a 99 Durango new. She has not had 1 problem with it. I would not of told her to buy it if I thought it was junk, because who do you think she will call 1st when something goes wrong?? Me.

Any way all around that is a pretty darn relaible vehicle.

4. cam2win

cam2win Well-Known Member

That Durango will have 235 HP and 300 Foot Pounds of Torque

5. Burt Munro

Thanks!

Thanks Cam2Win!
    Appreciate your comments. I knew the 318 engine had been in the Chrysler line since at least the early 60's. My concern was that in this era of doing anything and everything to produce products cheaper, that they had found ways to compromise the reliability. I also know that anytime you buy a used vehicle you're taking a chance that the previous owner was an idiot and you may be buying their headache. Mainly I was looking for an easy way to get peoples first hand experiences and if there were any problem areas to be on the lookout for (knowing full well that that could mean anything from faulty wiring to fuel tank leaks to computer problems.)

I grew up with a father who lived and died by Chrysler products. But I guess my faith was tested with a bad experience with a K car.

Thanks again for the input....especially the info on engine output.

6. Laurie Acree

Laurie Acree Well-Known Member

We had the bigger motor and I still say it was the best towing vehicle we have had and we had a bunch of them. The main complaint I had was the television size mirrors. Great for towing but it makes a major blind spot. I think they changed that option and you can get smaller mirrors now. I enjoyed the Durango. We had the third seat and that was a big bonus. Oh, don't get black. We traded ours in on the champagne one. Black was not good for that vehicle.

7. Burt Munro

What size trailer?

What size trailer were you guys pulling Laurie? I know what you mean about the size of the mirrors.....they are huge!! (compared to what I have on my '97 Ford Aerostar van)

Although they looked liked they might work great when you're pulling a trailer.

I noticed quite a bit of wind noise at highway speed too. Seemed to either be coming from the windshield or the mirrors. Do you remember that being a problem?

Thanks,

Rick

8. Laurie Acree

Laurie Acree Well-Known Member

We pulled a.....Oh my gosh, I'll have to ask Lee that was 3 trailers ago. It was an enclosed trailer that held 2 motorcycles and a Zuma.
    I had forgotten about the noise. It was the passenger's side mirror on our Durango's. I guess we either got used to it or drowned it out with the stereo.
    Fuel is a major complaint with those that have the Sports model.

9. dave333

dave333 traveler

Agree with Acree. My only complaint with the 318 is mileage, which is 10-12 mpg when towing... The newer motors, whose displacment I've forgotten, are better on the gas...

10. hmpmark

hmpmark Member

I own a 99 Durango 4x4 with the 5.2 and I use it to pull a 6x12 enclosed trailer without any problems at all. However, I did opt for the towing package when I bought it. I would certainly look for one that comes with this package as it certainly helps (or at least it adds a little peace of mind with respect to durability issues). I bought it new, and I haven't had any major service issues so far except for your standard wear and tear items that are common to all vehicles. Only problem was with the AC compressor acting up the first summer I owned it. This was a problem common to a lot of Durangos and most people brought them in to get fixed the first summer they owned them. However, it should be obvious if it has been fixed or not. Just turn on the AC, and you''ll either get cold air or not. Took three visits to get if fixed, but I think that Dodge has figured out the problem and can remedy it immediately now, and the repair is supposed to be covered by Dodge. It probably goes without saying, but electric brakes should certainly be considered if you are towing any substantial weight around. It has been an extremely reliable vehicle so far, and I would certainly recommend it. Haven't had any experience with the 5.8L, but I have heard good things about them. However, if all you plan on towing is a basic enclosed trailer and a couple of race bikes along with all the misc. gear that goes with it, you should be just fine with the 5.2L. Let me know if you have any specific questions, and I'll try to answer them.

Mark

11. SOFG

SOFG Well-Known Member

The Durango is a very good SUV. A guy at work has one, he could have whatever he wanted and loves it.

We just got a new Trailblazer, I pulled the 7x14 a couple weeks ago. The thing pulls great for a small SUV 3000lbs. Great hp and torque. In line 6. We got the extended one for the third seat. I'm bias toward Chevy.

12. cincykid

cincykid Well-Known Member

yup

I've got a 2000 Durango R/T with the 5.9 360 towing package, blah blah. I love it. I pull pretty much anything with it no problem. But whatever you do do not buy it and expect good mileage. Any of them for that matter, they are still trucks with v-8's. I have had no problems at all with mine and it has 38k on it. I would check consumer reports and check on the '99, I know a couple of the years had some small issues/recalls. First dodge I have had and feel pretty good about it. I usually owned all jeep cj's and toyota 4x4 pickups. Good luck.

13. Smiley Pete

Smiley Pete mayor of never never land

We have a '00 Durango with the 4.7 V-8. Love the truck, but the gas mileage sucks.

Check out www.moparchat.com. Its a good source of information for all things Dodge. I think they have a link for recalls, TSB's, etc.

By the way - we have it in black and love it (when it's clean).

14. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

I have a 2011 Dodge Durango V6. I have a sound that appears to be coming from the front of the vehicle when I apply heavy torque. I took it to my mechanic, been with them for probably 20 years. I thought it was my CV joints. It's that grinding metal sound. The front CV axles were replaced. I still have this noise. Mechanic said that it was my motor mounts. Nope, not it. This is the first time the mechanic has not been able to properly diagnose my vehicle's issue. Since then, it appears my vehicle has developed a noise when cruising down the road. Could it be suspension related? I need help diagnosing the issue.

Whatcha got beeb? I like this vehicle and have no intentions of getting rid of it anytime soon. :Pop:

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  15. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

Check the wheel bearings

16. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Could that cause the loud crunching/grinding sound?

I'll be dropping it off next week. That will be on my list.

17. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

Possibly. It's easy enough to check on your own. Go out to the vehicle and as it sits parked grab the wheel on each side at 10 & 2 and try and rock it back and forth. You shouldn't get any slop/play/noises.

BigBird likes this.
  18. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Those are decent if in good condition. The 318 is bulletproof although underpowered. See a lot of high mileage units.

19. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

You need help matching your purse to your shoes too, princess? :Poke:

I’d be looking at trading it in on a 5500 with a western hauler bed, twin turbos and stacks, but then, I don’t menstruate. :moon:

20. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Wheel bearings in great condition? When the guy pulled the axle shafts, he should’ve checked them for any kind of coarseness, while turning the hubs. It takes very little ball/race texture to create noise.

The frontend is only subject to torque, when the transfer case has the front driveline engaged, unless you have an AWD model(?).

Check the front differential. There will be metal shavings in the lube, if there are issues. There are multiple bearings in there and the gearset could be toast, especially if the lube has never been changed.

Front U-joints in great condition?

Brake calipers freely floating on their pins? Pistons fully retracting?

Ball joints in perfect condition?

Are the strut bearings/top hats in perfect condition?

Is there grinding under your center console, like from the transfer case?

You don’t mention mileage?

BigBird likes this.