1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

air filters on race bikes?

Discussion in 'General' started by Gino230, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I run them on most of mine, but the FZ has a "customized" setup that doesn't have one. Thinking of rigging one up but not sure it's worth it?

2. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Some people like a filter just in case you go play in the kitty litter...........others take their chances to get the bikes max potential per their setup,and not even worry about sucking pebbles into the engine. Ive seen both setups and opinions from fast guys that have been racing a long while.

3. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Do like jetski's and just run a metal screen to keep big debris out.

BigBird and Ducti89 like this.
  4. Gino230

I'm going to rig up some kind of mesh to keep those rubber tire debris and gravel and shit out. Maybe a little piece of K&N element, too. Can't see that impeding flow very much.

5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

what ever you rig up... make sure it doesnt collapse under WFO. Had this happen on a turbo bike...lol.
    [​IMG]

6. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Someone will be along shortly to discuss turbulent airflow leading to months of overthinking it

SpeedyE, busa99 and Steeltoe like this.
  7. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Is it a flat panel type ? You could use a piece of foam over wire mesh for support.

Gino230 likes this.
  8. SLLaffoon

SLLaffoon Well-Known Member

I won’t say anything about airflow, but you might want to check your class rules to see if an air filter is required.

9. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

He's good on that side

10. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

Wire mesh screens, if flat, can really reduce the airflow allowed. Even domed ones can be fairly restrictive, as you pointed out. The above screen effectively blocks about half of the opening compared to no screen. based on what I can see of the wire size and spacing.

11. Gino230

I'm thinking of cutting up a K&N pod filter to fit the opening to the airbox. Nothing is required, it's MotoAmerica Twins. Airbox design is free. Andy Palmer engineered the stacks and cold air intake setup, but there's no filter.

12. OldSwartout

OldSwartout Well-Known Member

Nothing like a low-side into the dirt and sucking a handful of sand into a cylinder while the engine is screaming...

badmoon692008 likes this.
  13. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

air filters on race bikes... yes.. you should use em. :) Can't see how a fraction of a hp is worth a rock potentially going down the intake.

G Dawg, rcarson15 and BigBird like this.
  14. You also should also calculated the max amount of air the bike can take in and size accordingly. I think KN or one of the companies has a calculator on their site as far as airflow / sq-in etc. which can help with surface area. Obviously you will have to make some assumptions as far as ram air effect etc but I’d use maybe 50 mph for that which will provide you some safety margin. I cringe every time I take the cover off my outboard boat motors. Ya I know slightly different environment as it’s not like I’m running the boat at a race track in Argentina but still freaks me out a bit.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  15. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I had a real life experience with this the other day. I was airing out the house and had set a fan up to exhaust through a screened sliding door. Standing in front of it from the outside, I opened the screen and was amazed at how much the airflow increased.

16. Gino230

That might be a little complicated. This was a stock airbox that AP Motoarts modified for ram air. Box is sealed, and he added a scoop for the ram air duct, which is the only opening.

My first thought was a foam type, similar to the MWR I run on my 749, that goes between the ram air tube and box. But that's gonna look messy. So now I'm thinking of a grate over the opening with some foam or K&N material over it.

17. Gino230

Is the only way to post photos here to use an image hosting site? That is such a pain in the ass.

18. I know what his designs look like but if you want a proper filter you need to ensure it can flow enough air.

Gino230 likes this.
  19. No Brakes

No Brakes Well-Known Member

Coat hanger and woman’s stocking for the win

Killswitch and badmoon692008 like this.
  20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nope, you can upload em too.