1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Your Bike Competitive?

Discussion in 'General' started by Deadpool, Oct 12, 2019.

?

Is your bike competitive in its class?

1. Yes, its in the top-half of most grids

6 vote(s)
    23.1%
  2. Yes, its as fast as any bike out there

6 vote(s)
    23.1%
  3. No, but its close enough to make things interesting

11 vote(s)
    42.3%
  4. No, but its better than nothing

3 vote(s)
    11.5%
  1. Deadpool

Deadpool Active Member

As the off-season hits here in the midwest, its time to start thinking about upgrades. I just starting racing this year and I really like running in the 1000 cc classes. However, my 2008 cbr1000rr is behind most of the zx10's and R1's and even the newer cbr's. It is pretty well set up, but it is outgunned against most bikes in the class in hp and technology.

Im still really new to racing, so I am okay on a bike that might be less-competitive, comparatively, than the majority on grid. I am still not as fast as the bike is. My poll question is, do you think your bike is competitive, and how much do you think it matters? By competitive, I mean suspension, weight, hp, rider aids, etc.

I know there are riders that could win unlimited races on SV's and riders that couldn't podium on a new R1 in a lightweight sprint. I am really targeting the middle-third of riders.

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

what kind of technology makes your current bike "uncompetitive" even though you consider it "well setup"?? Do you run A SS, A SB, and F1?? What kind of riding experience do you have on a liter bike? Can you pull the pin when the green flag drops???

3. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

There is no bike currently made that is competitive with me on it.

4. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

It would be but Mongo banned aftermarket master cylinders in superstock.

5. Deadpool

Deadpool Active Member

When I say well set up, I mean it has a pretty well tuned suspension and engine and most of the common modifications. I ran it in SS, SB, and GP. Which, inherently means its going to be competing against more heavily modified bikes.

I like that you used quotes to make sure you note that I said uncompetitive, which I didn't. Semantics aside, Im really talking about being down 20+ hp, up 30+ pounds of bike weight, and not having LC, TC, WC, etc. A 12 year old Honda just isnt in the same world as a new R1.

6. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Don’t feel bad. Honda didn’t even give the last decade of 1k’s BNG to compensate for their absence of performance. :D

7. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Jasyson Uribe is currently whooping ass in AFM on a Honda.

L8RSK8R, TurboBlew and Newsshooter like this.
  8. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

They should be allowed...

9. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

This whole season my bikes have been absolutely plagued with gremlins that only presented themselves when gridding up. Run beautifully at test and tune days then die every time on warm up laps............so my answer is “no, my bikes suck:(

10. Deadpool

Deadpool Active Member

Reliability is pretty important. That's a great point.

11. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Mine is way more competitive than I am.

maslov, BigBird and TurboBlew like this.
  12. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

I'd bet his bike is too. :)

13. TurboBlew

first off... traction control is a non issue. In order to turn liter bikes... the fast guys are using the back tire to do so. If you havent mastered that... then you have work to do. Traction control = throttle control
    Your 12yr old bike makes MORE power than 90s AMA superbikes... so to say you need 20 additional HP... nah. Your bike makes north of 75 ft lbs of torque... Plus you have brakes & tires that are way better.

I asked if you are cable of pulling the pin on the start. Meaning... can you leave at peak torque when the flag drops?? Ever made passes at a drag strip with it?

You seem to think the bike is holding you back... Id guarantee you'd be incorrect. Especially at a club level.

rk97, MELK-MAN, SpeedyE and 1 other person like this.
  14. TurboBlew

I think the OP is racing CCS... I dont think they limit masters.

15. Deadpool

Deadpool Active Member

Look, I dont know where you reading these things or why. I never said uncompetitive. Its not even a word. I also didn't say or insinuate that my bike was holding me back. More than that, I said, "Im still really new to racing, so I am okay on a bike that might be less-competitive, comparatively, than the majority on grid. I am still not as fast as the bike is. " I know the bike is not holding me back. You can tell I know that because I wrote as much in my first post. Also, I am not racing against 90's superbikes, so you really lost me there. So, whatever it is that you are trying to say.....congratulations?

I was just generally curious as to what people thought of their bikes from a performance standpoint compared to others.

jonathanp likes this.
  16. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

:Pop:

17. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

More Hp isn't likely to help you, if the suspension is sorted and it runs well, you're good. I had a friend win a stock 1000 class championship on a several year old 1000 with stock suspension that had been revalved and sprung for him. As a first year racer I'd suggest track time with instructors that know racing. That would be far more beneficial than any mechanical upgrades.

TurboBlew likes this.
  18. TurboBlew

you said it here...
    and you said "outgunned"... as if you are using every bit of what the bike is capable of. I know for a fact..after owning a CBR in 2008 that it can get to 150mph in under 10 seconds.

I just put the 90s superbike reference so you can understand how EASY it is these days to have a 170hp motorbike on pump gas that will go a whole lotta laps. The rest of it... just amusement.

SpeedyE likes this.
  19. Deadpool

Deadpool Active Member

Ahhhh, that's where I went wrong, I framed it poorly. I'm not planning any upgrades and I wasn't trying to ask about upgrades. My bad. Lesson learned.

MELK-MAN and TurboBlew like this.
  20. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

I raced CCS for several years (sorry WERA folks, my son ran WERA though!) on a 929. I competed against the newer R1, GSXR-1000, ZX10, and CBR1k. I ran it my amateur year and my first expert year. I'd say I won more than 50% of the races I entered and won the regional championship in every class I ran except one. When I lost, it was those big weekends when the money chasers showed up to whip my tail. At no point did I ever out match what my bike was capable of. It taught me SOOOOO much about chassis and geometry setup. I never spent a penny on the engine of any of my bikes. Always suspension and brakes. 600s could have more power than my bike did. Yes, I'd get walked on the straights by almost every bike; but I learned to brake harder, lean more, and get on the gas earlier than my counterparts.

Spend another year on your bike (if expert) then move up to something better if money isn't an issue.

Honestly, the thing that taught me about racing THE MOST was mini racing. Being able to go 100% with no care if you crashed or not (because the chances of getting hurt or hurting your bike were minimal) really helped you learn what 100% really meant.

MELK-MAN, Shocker, HPPT and 4 others like this.