1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Track incident or someone's fault?

Discussion in 'General' started by Aglareinmyeyes, Oct 10, 2019.

?

Pay for damage to his truck from wind gust and easy-up contact

1. Pay 100% for his repairs

81.5%
  2. Pay 50% of his repairs

4.0%
  3. Pay 25% of his repairs

3.2%
  4. Pay nothing

11.3%
  1. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

Meh, perspective. Like I said, I'd be the first one to pay for an on track incident I caused. But wind/storm damage from a canopy that was tied down? Probably not.

418 likes this.
  2. Dragginass

Yep, people have different opinions. Nothing new. If the canopy had gotten loose earlier in the day, or was in disrepair and a part flew off etc I'd agree. But again, from what he said he took normal precautions we all would. Weather happens. It's still cool he helped pay the dude, but from my experience he was under no obligation to do so.

418 likes this.
  3. BigBird

BigBird blah

so put it this way, who put the canopy up? God or someone else?

Like a tree, if it falls down during a storm, Act of God. You couldn't close the tree before the storm, or cut it down every time there was a storm.

But a canopy is a temporary structure put there by someone. If they did not put it there, it would not exist, but it does exist, therefore it is the person's responsibility should anything happen to it. And OP said they did not tie down to the their best of their ability. So as a former adjuster, was everything 50/50 to you?

Well the rest of us know who to park next to at the track, and we know not to worry if your vehicle gets damaged. So Mr. Ass you may have a lot of vehicles and canopies near you at the track in the future, at least you won't get sunburned :D

4. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="HPPT, post: 5606509, member: 1617 Just look at the poll here. It suggests that most responders see "reasonable" differently than you do.
    .[/QUOTE]

I wonder how many voted before we got all the facts... seems like the opinions got a lot more divided after that.

5. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Thoughts deeper than the Marianas Trench right here! Howsa bout if some of my neighbors shingles blew off his roof scratching up my minivan??? Act of Jesus (the roofer)?

BigBird and speedluvn like this.
  6. Dragginass

Louisiana is a comparative negligence state, so if I wanted to piss someone off I could find them 7% at fault for not using their blinker:D

Reality was most everything was 100/0 as far as liability, with the occasional 50/50 for people who backed into each other or something.

There is no fault for a comprehensive claim. Wind, even wind blown objects, would be an act of God. Now, if you fail to secure a load in the back of your truck and it damages someone's vehicle, then there is liability.

You're getting hung up on "natural". If an earthquake had shaken his truck into another vehicle, would that be his fault? Same idea. Whether the object was natural or not doesn't matter, it's what caused it to move.

7. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

It's a large sail that is easily moved by any wind
    and if you have any experience with them in an
    open area then you should be aware how easily
    they get blown over or carried away.

If an unusual wind event took place then I would
    agree on the act of God reasoning, but if you haven't
    secured it against wind speeds that might normally
    occur, including gusts, then you rolled the dice and
    if you take a chance and lose then you should pay.

You could have tied it down better and prevented the
    damage but there's nothing the guy with the damaged
    truck could have done to prevent the damage.

BigBird likes this.
  8. Dragginass

That goes back to the "reasonable" part. Most of us weigh them down with rims/tires, tool boxes, straps etc. If he didn't, then I would be inclined to assign him some blame. I just don't agree with people saying that because he owned the canopy he was immediately liable. Again though, JMO.

Anybody remember the Yoshimira canopy that sent 100lb of concrete flying through the air a few years ago?

9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

You think they can successfully defend a civil suit in America if that falls on someone and kills them? I have some serious doubts.

galloway840 likes this.
  10. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

The point is tying one side of your canopy down to a trailer and putting a decent amount of weight on the other side is reasonable on a day when winds are fairly light and not predicted to be strong. In reality it sounds like his canopy was tied down better than many in that same paddock, so I would say that is reasonable. Part of this goes back to how close the vehicle was parked to the canopy and which one was there first. Park 1" from my canopy and any scratches from it are on you, not me. I wouldn't set my canopy up within a foot of someone else's vehicle, unless it was an already all scratched up POS, then maybe a 6" minimum. Maybe this wasn't that close, as we didn't get those details.

Dragginass likes this.
  11. Dragginass

Again, reason comes into play. Can you expect anyone to forsee 80mph winds that pop up out of nowhere from a supercell? I can't even pretend to predict what a jury would do, but if I'm assigning some arbitrary liability value it would be very very low. Again, act of God.

12. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

I remember at a 95 or 96 WERA endurance road at Memphis. It wasn't that windy but it was gusting a bit. JU had a 10 by 20 canopy set up on the wall when a huge gust hit. Theo Lockwood (Team Hammer mech. who is a big guy) grabbed the frame as the wind kicked in. He and the canopy went easily 8 or more feet straight up, and his feet were at least 5 feet off the ground. Then he and canopy slowly settled back on earth, it was like magic.

So if your using four 5 gallon buckets of water that's only 41 pounds per corner or 166 lbs., and that's not enough weight. Since you have 4 buckets 4 more will store/stack into the others so at least put 2 buckets per corner IMHO for over 300 lbs. to hold the thing. OR tie two corners to the trailer, truck, fence, or whatever and use the buckets on the other TWO corners.

13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I get what you're saying. What I'm saying is that if you feel that you're going to need that much weight to hold it down, maybe the reasonable thing to do is not to put it up. Or to secure it with something that really can't move.

14. BigBird

BigBird blah

Just show how lease returns can go. BMW charged $550 for this scratch on the bumper. (thanks Mr. Valet) and I mean for a car that was street parked in NYC for most of it's life or at my wive's parking garage, that was the only thing on the bumper.

Capture.JPG

15. Dragginass

If it's going to storm, and you know it, don't put it up. I think we can all agree on that. But that's not what we are talking about is it?

16. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Right, we're discussing the phantom gust out of nowhere on an otherwise completely calm day. I forgot.

17. Dragginass

I don't even know what you're arguing any longer. Carry on.

18. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

1500$ doesn't go far in a body shop if you've ever been to one btw..

SpeedyE and BigBird like this.
  19. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

This:

Do onto others as you wish others to do onto you.

SpeedyE likes this.
  20. ton

ton Arf!

unto