1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Military choices for my kid?

Discussion in 'General' started by Wingnut, Oct 10, 2019.

1. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

The mob rule is in effect! Lead or get out of the way. :Poke:

2. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

Much respect to the Coast Guard - they are like utility infielder, going where they are needed. Right now, they roll up under Homeland Security. In the past, they have been under Treasury, Transportation, and in times of war, DOD under the Navy.

rd400racer and ducnut like this.
  3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

There ain't no mob when I say there ain't no mob. There is no mob. :D

4. speedluvn

Both you and Frenchie need a well deserved vacation. The mob is more than capable of handling things here.

5. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

You've heard it from at least one person from another service, because I remember giving you shit about it and got the assumed "you've never served" response from you :D

dtalbott likes this.
  6. speedluvn

Purely political :rolleyes:

7. J Bart

J Bart Fat Kid Track Days

I retired from the Air Force, served 24 years. Four of my five kids enlisted in the Army and are doing quite well for themselves. I suggest your daughter seek out someone serving in the career field she's interested in and get a no shit perspective. If you have more than one branch in your area talk with them, both enlisted and officers. I spent time in joint operations with the Army, Navy and Marines they all have positive/negatives to include the AF.

ducnut likes this.
  8. Cawk Star

Cawk Star Well-Known Member

I have family members that are ***** **** grads that also had the Army pay for their further medical training. Both served and are retired active duty, Aunt earlier than Uncle because they started a family. Aunt is a brain surgeon in prominent hospital and Uncle is also private "surgeon" now - who previously went on missions with bad dudes at night that people aren't supposed to know about. Seems to have worked out for them.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    R Acree likes this.
  9. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Yeah, that was the old defensive me. The new me is a loving, respectful guy:D

dtalbott likes this.
  10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Bwahahahahahaha.

rd400racer likes this.
  11. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Well-Known Member

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but she may have a tough time getting into the military if she's had a troubled past. The services don't really need people right now, so they can be a little selective about who they pick. Don't be surprised if run-ins with the law, issues in school, etc., become a problem. My advice, tell the truth about everything that has been previously documented. Lie like a MFer about things that aren't documented. Like this. Ever been arrested? Yes. Ever used drugs? No.

12. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

But, she attends a military academy and would’ve been weeded out. She’s ahead of the game, already, and desirable to the branches.

13. Littlehat

Littlehat Well-Known Member

I do sort of agree with you, but in this case she knows what field she wants in. She will fair much better now and in the future if she gets her nursing degree before hand and goes in on a commision. While some enlisted get a great experience in the medical field, it is not the norm. Why chance and waste 4 years(work experience wise) when she will get much better experience as a commissioned nurse. Most of the Corpseman on their first tour ar sea(most likely) will end their 4 years of service with experience more in line with an EMT rather than hospital experience more in line with a nurse. I can only speak for Navy, but can imagine it will be similar for any other branch if you get orders outside of a hospital.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

14. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

The Air Force needs 4,000 pilots NOW. I know because we meet with them once a month about it.

Not sure about the other branches though.

15. Cawk Star

Cawk Star Well-Known Member

Another family member is a drone pilot and another of the cousins is an NSA guy now that he's not flying for Navy. They were pushed away from flying an actual plane about 5 years ago because they wanted drone pilots. Has the military gone back to wanting pilots for planes again or is it still drone orientated?

16. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

When we discuss pilots there is no distinction between UAV and manned.

Drives me crazy.
    Makes the manned guys go NUTS that the UAV guys get wings and get to wear flight suits. :crackup:

auminer likes this.
  17. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Most assuredly not.

18. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

Same in civilian world. Pilot and mechanic shortage in aviation.

19. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

She's never been in trouble with the law, never drank, drugs or smoked. Shes a pretty straight laced book nerd. She came to live with us after being removed from some significant abuse/neglect.

20. ORIF

ORIF Well-Known Member

Nearly half of my son's class was selected for Pilot training. So many that there is quite a backlog of students waiting their turn to start flight school. He is chilling out at the Academy until January when his spot opens. It truly is a critical need, especially with the new F35 now operational.