1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Military choices for my kid?

Discussion in 'General' started by Wingnut, Oct 10, 2019.

1. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Nah, I found out it's not worth it. I've had to defend my choice of enlistment many times (I didn't join the REAL military) to the point I've found it's just not worth the trouble. Of course I've never heard it from fellow members of other services, just from people that didn't actually serve themselves.

Bloodhound and ducnut like this.
  2. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

If I could change one military rule, I'd make 2 years of enlisted service be mandatory before you could be accepted at any service academy, and before you could be commissioned as an officer.

Littlehat, sdiver and ducnut like this.
  3. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

You may or may not be aware... but members of all of the branches of service pick on one another... Army dumb grunts, Marines eat crayons, Navy gay as hell, Air Force limp wristed nerds, Coast Guard have to be 6' tall so they can wade back to shore, as I quipped earlier in the thread.(as well as not part of the DOD) ...

I'm going to go out on a limb & guess that 2fer's comment was in that vein.

One thing certain though, no matter what the branch, there's still an underpinning of mutual respect. And civilians don't get to participate.

But by all means... if you need to make your daily OUTRAGE™ quota. ;)

4. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I’d go so far as to make it mandatory for everyone, at 18yrs-old/high school graduation.

Circacee likes this.
  5. dtalbott

You guys notice, when I posted the easiest to hardest list, I specifically stated that I did not know where the Coast Guard would fit on that list.

I'm Army, and the only knowledge I have of the Coast Guard is from that Kevin Costner movie.

6. dtalbott

Well said!

7. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

I am aware. But that was not appropriate in this context, as the OP stated, he is looking for information (read: money, opportunity), not random interbranch sideswipes. She is interested in getting a nursing degree with potentially help from the United States Armed Forces, which includes the USCG.

P.S. IRT daily outrage, lol, fuck off, love you.

ducnut likes this.
  8. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

This is the beeb... I'm surprised we're still even talking about the military in this thread.

I suspect that @Fonda Dix has already provided OP with a pretty good lead.

:Putter::p

track wagon likes this.
  9. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Is the mob trying to impart rules on itself now? :(

10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

These efforts rarely succeed.

11. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Once you narrow it some I would also recommend she put out a request to recently retired or exited from that branch to meet in person. I am betting most would be more than happy to spend a couple of hours and whatever she chooses it is a big choice. Though to be honest I think if she puts effort into it she can win regardless of choice.

ducnut likes this.
  12. speedluvn

I hope not. Frenchie & Special K certainly do their part in oppressing bbs mob.

13. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

"Help! Help! I'm being oppressed!"

pickled egg likes this.
  14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Horse poop! The Mob usually knows where the line is and seldom push over but when it or a member does go over it, it's taken care of, usually by the mob itself.

15. speedluvn

Sometimes you gotta take the bull by the horns and lead this mob into a ditch. :flag:

dtalbott and stk0308 like this.
  16. speedluvn

T/l - D/r

The MOB RULES!!!! ;)

17. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Dave K is the greaterest!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2019
  18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Video rule is still in effect. ;)

Yzasserina likes this.
  19. 10-15

10-15 Well-Known Member

My father joined the USAF in 54' under the " You can spend 60 days in jail or join a branch of the armed service".:crackup:He wasn't a bad kid, just a knuckle head teenager who had been before the local judge one to many times. He made a great career out of his enlistment. Served two tours in SEA during Vietnam and retired after 25 years of service as a CMSgt.

Maybe biased but USAF would be a great choice.

ducnut likes this.
  20. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Serial rediscovery of the limits.