1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ear Protection

Discussion in 'General' started by ScottyRock155, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Yup I've been told that too. Smh

ducnut likes this.
  2. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Ears adjust. They’re smart like that, unlike some people.

3. R Acree

R Acree Banned

It's the reset that's problematic.

4. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

I meant after the engine had killed his hearing and he literally can't actually hear it over the high pitched "weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee' of the tinnitus.

JBall, ducnut and Steeltoe like this.
  5. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Mine were custom made at my ear doctor. $80

6. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

3m foam ones are excellent. I think many people give up on em as they don't figure out how to put em in. The long procedure you see some motogp guys do, i think, is a "routine" or "ritual" they like to go through to get in the frame of mind.. makes em look busy, keeps them busy..
    but honestly, squeeze and roll in between fingers a bit, slide in, let em expand. If you don't get em in enough, it's gonna suck. Cause the cheek pad will resonate on the ear plug, will be real loud. May need to dab the end of the ear plug with bit of spit, makes tighter seal for sure.
    Some foam ones are not as comfortable as others.
    these are nice. https://www.ebay.com/itm/3M-32-dB-D...135407?hash=item3653800f2f:g:tHcAAOSwDuZda-QB

7. chrysta1

chrysta1 Well-Known Member

Wearing my Plugup on the Bose QC20 right now on a flight to Phoenix on the way to Sydney Australia, Bose noise canceling and custom ear plugs it is quiet. Also have a pair of ear phones from them for street riding under the helmet, great.

8. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

I still prefer disposable for hygiene and sweat reasons.

Everyone has different sized holes (pause), buy one of these trial packs and pick the one that fits the best and get the monster pack on Amazon or some other industrial supply/PPE place in your desired choice. I settled on two, the 3M E-A-R EZFit which is a softer one w/ an NRR of 28 for longer rides, and the firmer 3M E-A-R EarSoft Superfit w/ an NRR of 33 for shorter rides/track days. I have really comparatively small ears though, which means I'm buying some of the smallest plugs available.

https://www.earplugstore.com/unfoamtrialp.html

Also, make sure you know how to use them properly. Roll them between your fingers (pause) and insert them deep (pause) letting them expand. Do not just try to jam it in without rolling.

9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Earplay

10. Busdriver02

Busdriver02 Well-Known Member

Having flown loud ass helicopters my entire adult life, nothing is really as good as foamies. The custom molded ones feel nice, but don't block anywhere near as much sound and as you move your head around the seal will break and let sound in.

Steeltoe likes this.
  11. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

No. I knew that. What I posted was in response to what most guys like that say “I can’t hear with earplugs.”. My response was “they adjust” comment.

“Eeeeeeeeee” is what is constantly in my ears. Though, sometimes I have a low-frequency droning in the mornings that transitions to the “eeeeeee”, which is louder than most conversation levels. A lot of times I have to cup an ear, really focus on the voice, and watch lips to make sure of what I’m hearing.

12. Suzuka_joe

Suzuka_joe Well-Known Member

lick it and stick it. i can't stand to rev my bike up in the garage without a pair in

ducnut likes this.
  13. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

I've had folks tell me they had trouble getting foam ones in, and nearly all of them came to the light when I showed them how to straighten their canal by pulling at the top of their ear while inserting the plug. Makes it much easier to get the plug just far enough in, that once it expands, it will form a complete seal and will only come out if you pull it out.

Cheap foamies FTW.

ducnut likes this.
  14. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

I've tried the reaching around the head the pulling up on the ear trick. It does help, but I'm still interested in trying the custom fit ones. Thanks everyone for the help.

15. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Always had trouble getting the foamies to stay in my ear, customs for me, thought they have always needed adjustment. When I rode to Alaska I was adjusting them everyday for nearly a week.

16. ajcjr

ajcjr Well-Known Member

Look up eareverything on fb , dawn is out of Indy and does a ton of racers, great product.