1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mechanical Types

Discussion in 'General' started by Mongo, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I think I may just put in a new one and have this one rebuilt as a spare.

2. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Having a spare will guarantee you'll never have starter issues again.

Gino230 and JJJerry like this.
  3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

My thoughts exactly :D

I'll just leave it in the RV and it can take the good juju with it to the new owner too.

4. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

Did you offer it pie or yuengling? That might help...

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Offerings to the gods of mechanical things have been made.

BrianC636 likes this.
  6. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Brushes or a dead spot (ie burned) on the the armature. It sometimes turns a part revolution until it hits the dead spot again. I had this once in my '62 Chrysler 300. Occassionlly it would have enough momentum to cruise past the dead spot and spin up the engine.

7. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Me and my dad about 15 years ago were driving a truck we suspected the pump was going out of. Sure enough, it stalls at the busiest intersection of our city at a red light. We had a 2x4 in the back just to hit the tank "in case". He says " ok, when the light turns green, i'll jump out, hit the tank and you crank it. It was like a pit stop, that light turned green, he bolted and whacked the shit out the tank and we got it going in a few revolutions and he hopped back in, all the while people behind us wondering wtf just happened. I felt stupid but we made it. :D

Gino230 and Rico888 like this.
  8. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

@Mongo get me the last 6 if the vin I'll get you exact part number. Its probably got a 42mt in it which is big and heavy as a mofo. You'll want to go to a 39mt. Better starter small and lighter and wont have to turn I the 42 for a core.

9. guzziguy

guzziguy Well-Known Member

as already stated, sounds like brushes, they are cheap, save a few hundred bucks and get in there man

10. Get a bigger hammer.

11. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I was just about to post this.

12. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

I had a similar issue on my 1998.5 Ram 2500. I just bought the solenoid and brushes and did it myself. I think it cost me about $70?

13. I’m an engineer (who can also build stuff) and I still agree a hammer is often a great solution to problems :)

14. That’s the problem, he’s not a man. All is not lost and it’s not time to worry, we are sending Metalhead over. I’ll donate the gas money. Anyone have a couple spare gopros he can where? We can probably make AFF $ off of this :)

baconologist likes this.
  15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Thought I had it on the phone but nope, I'll grab it tomorrow along with the part number of what's on there just for fun.

16. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

What we used to call a Bultaco timing tool...

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I took the big ball peen and my KZ650 breaker bar. Didn't see a need for the 10 pound sledge on a short handle for the experiment :D

18. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Dude, This is classic. The poor English, the sentiment, everything.

:crackup:

19. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

PM me your adress. I'll be right there. We'll fix it. Have beer.

20. It took longer to write doing it more poorerer than normal :)