1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ok, who is affected by GM strike and opinions....

Discussion in 'General' started by ttt637, Oct 10, 2019.

1. ttt637

ttt637 Well-Known Member

Let’s here it. Someone on here has to be affected. I would have but I left automotive (Delphi) years ago for aerospace

2. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Never been in automotive, so not me.

Having said that, and my opinion on unions aside, I hope it works out. We're always better as a whole when everyone has the opportunity to work. And from what little I've paid attention, it sounds like the employees,who made concessions during the recession, want their share back, as GM seems to have been making great profits.

It also seems like the top brass of GM are back to their old ways with big bonuses, while the people on the floor, aren't seeing any of it. Which is always a recipe for disaster.

ducnut, BigBird and pscook like this.
  3. ttt637

ttt637 Well-Known Member

I assume it’s still the same so the peeps already making good money get profit sharing too. The peeps at Delphi when I was there got 18k the last year I was there. I never did get what concessions they gave other than allowing temp workers to protect the u ion tiered jobs already in place. Now they want to convert those and grow the union more.

4. ttt637

ttt637 Well-Known Member

Don’t let anyone say that auto line jobs are difficult and hard. Yes your on your feet but with ergo assist everything it pretty easy. Hardest job at the plants I use to fo to regularly were the main body harness. That was 4 people and they only did every 3rd car. A shit load of Christmas tree clips. Easiest job was driving car off the line. Only drove 7 cars a hour. They would drive out to transport lot and a 15 passenger van would come pick me up. Gravy

5. ttt637

ttt637 Well-Known Member

Worst job in plant has to be plumber or pipe fitter. When SHIT happens they get down right filthy. They earn every dollar and then some OT

6. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

Any maintenance and or facility job in a large plant can be brutal...I've been a mechanic/millwright for 20yrs...it's gravy until something goes belly up...then everyone and their brother is up your ass like cheap underwear..

BigBird likes this.
  7. We supply gm and some pretty high running vehicles so we are taking a sales hit. Will most likely f up my bonus as it’s based on performance (which I’ll max out % wise) then that’s multiplied by a factor based on financial performance. It won’t kill our metrics but with the diesel gate stuff still lingering, Europe slowing down, China so-so and now this. we’ve done very well keeping financials up but not where it could be. I think we’ve offset a lot of the hits but there comes a point that there is only so much you can offset and it ends up messing you up next year.
    We’ve used the time well but with it starting near end of q3 we weren’t exactly going to hold a lot of inventory, plus we’ve used the time to do some maintenance we’ve pulled ahead (our machines run 24 hours) but you can only do so much because you don’t know when the switch will get turned back on.

8. eggfooyoung

My brother is a Millwrong at Ford.

Yep, gravy... until his job light comes on.

BigBird and AC1108 like this.
  9. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Where was the head of the UAW during the bailout? Did they come to DC to testify before Congress begging for a bailout on behalf of the Union membership at all 3 American auto makers?

Screw them all

10. The union is in bad shape, I don’t want to get political with this. Just look at all the stuff exposed over the last few years that’s been going on forever. FCA “training center” that was just a shell to siphon money for personal use. All the union heads care about is themselves. Don’t be fooled. We cannot sustain the pay and amount of people to assemble a vehicle, it’s absurd. Go to any major assembly plant and if you can find the maintenance hiding spot. Half of them have makeshift beds, often booze etc in there. Often smell like booze and within reason nothing management can do about it. Go to a parking lot after a shift, they don’t even try to hide all their empty bottles not to mention throw them in the trash. Really makes me ill thinking about it as at one point the unions had a real purpose but that purpose has been ruined and turned into laziness and greed. Just my opinion over the last 20+ years in the auto industry. Walk into a gm plant then go to a Toyota plant, easy to see why ones struggling and one is not.

11. But he still only has to work as fast as he wants.

CRA_Fizzer likes this.
  12. AC1108

AC1108 Well-Known Member

I can't speak for the auto plants, but I know at a power plant it's all hands on deck and time is of the essence. If we were to even pretend that we were going to work at our own pace there would be repercussions and shitty job performance isn't tolerated by the maintenance staff and we're Union.

Bloodhound likes this.
  13. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

If I remember the story correctly, there was a pallet on the plant floor that needed to be moved for the production line to continue (only needed a pallet jack). It stopped production because the workers on the line were not allowed to touch it per union contract, as it had to be moved by a specific person. I think it shut the line down for 2 hours?

Same thing happens at the conference show room floors. We were not allowed to plug in our own equipment into an electrical outlet, it had to be performed by a union worker.

14. Not like that at auto plants, I’ve heard the same about power plants. To be clear I wasn’t inferring all unions are bad but the UAW sure doesn’t do anything for the word union.

15. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Don't care. They're union "workers", so the only reason they aren't "working" is because they chose to.

Buy non-union.

vizsladog and Jon Wilkens like this.
  16. G 97

G 97 Garth

I’m not directly effected but I do know the local GM dealers are unable to source certain parts etc so they are hurting as well as the customers who are unable to get their autos repaired.

17. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

GM needs to quit crying.

18. eggfooyoung

Negative. At least not in Sharonville.

19. eggfooyoung

Did Ford receive a bailout? I didn't think they did.

20. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

Ford had already restructured their shitty situation a few years prior to the GM/Chrysler bailout. They handled their own mess rather than making it other peoples problem.

ducnut, StaccatoFan and YamahaRick like this.