1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mechanical Types

Discussion in 'General' started by Mongo, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I mean real ones :crackup:

RV (Freightliner semi really) starter is acting up - if I smack it with a hammer I can get a half a revolution or so then nothing. Been a long time since I've had the same basic problem so want to double check before ordering parts - starter is dead right? It's definitely not the solenoid on the firewall and don't think it's the one on the starter itself.

2. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Whats the battery voltage when you engage the starter?
    Are you getting voltage on the solenoid wire at the starter?

Rising Sun likes this.
  3. G 97

G 97 Garth

Double check battery and connections.

4. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Check connections, but more then like it's a starter

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

All connections are good, more than 12v, even tried jumping it to be sure. No change with the jumper at all, same clicking - the only thing that changes how it's doing is smacking the hell out of it.

Assjuice (so weird typing that out) - what would you need from me to order one? It's the 450hp Mercedes, 08 Columbia.

Rising Sun likes this.
  6. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Are you hitting it while having someone trying to crank it? Sounds like the starter to me.

Rising Sun likes this.
  7. baconologist

Get another, or get that one rebuilt

DaveB likes this.
  8. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

New RV.

5axis and speedluvn like this.
  9. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

^ What he said. See if there is a GOOD shop around your area that does rebuilds. Last starter I needed was $700-$800 new from the dealer. Good rebuild shop went through it for $175 with a 12 month unlimited mileage warranty.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Oh great, now you guys want me to actually pull it off the truck too :D

11. baconologist

Use a check wrench!

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

[​IMG]

Phl218 likes this.
  13. baconologist

14. GarrettRick

GarrettRick Well-Known Member

Try fleet pride .... will be cheaper than the dealer . I usually pay $250 ish for starters on big trucks

15. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Isn't the 'Hit-The-Starter' technique useful for the solenoid rather than for the starter motor itself?....

I always took that remedy as a solenoid de-jamming trick on motor-solenoid combos.

The headlights dimming is always a good tell-tale on what is working and what isn't.

Phl218 and JJJerry like this.
  16. VTRDarren

VTRDarren Well-Known Member

Part it out.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Easy enough - 1 huge part, only $130k on sale right now - $20 grand off because I don't wanna mess with the starter :D

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I wasn't 100% that's why I made the thread. The solenoid check is just to jump across it as far as I know. If it helps any there was an electrical smell when it first acted up which also leads me to thing the start motor itself is locked up/burnt out.

19. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Needs a starter or brushes replaced. On that thing it is probably cheapest to pull it and take it to a starter shop for big trucks. They can probably fix it for $50 if you find the right place.

The smack with a hammer works for solenoids or brushes inside the starter. The vibration gets current flowing through a high resistance area.

Edit read the OP again. Since it is only getting a couple of revolutions probably has a armature worn or shorted also.

20. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Sv650.