1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WTB 600 first track day bike for noob

Discussion in 'Bikes for Sale' started by jeffmack, Oct 7, 2019.

1. jeffmack

jeffmack Well-Known Member

hello
    After riding sport bikes on the street for decades I’m finally looking to get on the track. Wanting to get a dedicated sub 4K track bike to get started on and allow me to learn on it for a few seasons. I’m hopeful i will eventually want to race down the road, but much learning to do. I am in the Atlanta area and open to suggestion. Hopeful i can find a decent set up from 05’ to 09’ years like a GXSR or R6 or a nicely set up SV. Thanks for any leads.
    J

Rising Sun likes this.
  2. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

Where are you located?

3. jeffmack

Atlanta

4. bb4me23

bb4me23 Well-Known Member

About to list my sv on here for 3500.

2003 track bike with clean title. 7200 miles. Engine is all stock. Has a power commander, also has a full hindle exhuast. Vortex rear sets, vortex clip-ons. Vortex 520 sprockets with a few spares of different sizes. Chain new at beginning of the season. Armour bodies fairings. Bike has been low sided on right side at cmp back in april. Rode it the rest of the season that way. Easily repairable. Small dent in the tank. Penski rear shock was rebuilt beginning of the season. ... Gp suspension front fork internals with 1.0 springs. will be serviced this week.

Has a quickshifter installed not hooked up.

Also have spare set of wheels with rains and rotors. And an extra rear rim.Rains pretty worn from a race on a drying track. Also have another set of front forks with imulators. Scotts steering stabilizer rebuilt beginning of season.Some other spares will come with bike. Have 3 new dunlop 211 160 tires and a 1 year old set of pit possie 160 tire warmers that will go with sale. Also have a couple stands if needed

jeffmack likes this.
  5. bb4me23

bb4me23 Well-Known Member

located in Chesterfield Va

6. Party Shark

Party Shark Member

I have a 2006 GSXR 750 that I'm looking to sell that will meet your budget and is track ready. I know you said 600 but I was in the same situation a few years ago and it's served me well. If you're interested let me know.

7. jeffmack

Thanks. But Utah may be too far for me to work with
    J

8. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

With your budget, the sky is the limit... i would say just find anything fuel injected with suspension work and track bodywork.

A ‘99 R6 is way more capable than many people want to admit, and being a little down on power compared to newer bikes will serve you well as you upgrade your skills and eventually buy something newer.

9. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

SV would be my choice for a new track rider. It will teach you how to go fast on a slow bike...and as is the case with most of the LWT class...leaders are deep into the 600SS lap times.:D

The bigger question is...can your ego deal with riding a LWT bike instead of the 600?

Tim Dobbertin and jeffmack like this.
  10. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Only if the LW bike is a clapped out SV with trick wheels.:D

TurboBlew likes this.
  11. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

FIFY

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  12. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Ironically, they are white too!:D

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  13. SirBonus

SirBonus Well-Known Member

I'd look at a slightly older R6. If you get a 03'-04' they have fuel injection and you can usually look around and get one that is setup with extras for around 2k. Then when you lay it down while learning you have money for repairs.

Phl218, rk97 and jeffmack like this.
  14. jeffmack

No ego issues here. Those years are long in the past. Just looking to start the right way and progress as far as i feel comfortable. I have no idea where that is.
    I ride a KTM SDR and a 75 Norton commando on the street. I love them both but i have more fun on the Norton, so ego hasn’t stopped that. I can see me giving up street riding after 25+ years and get more involved with track and hopefully racing. Lots of great info and great folk on this site. I’m excited to get rolling
    Jmack

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  15. SLLaffoon

SLLaffoon Well-Known Member

16. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I'll second the 2nd gen R6 suggestion, lots of examples kicking around out there.

17. Chango

Chango Something clever!

Well, my clapped out SV has a 2008 GSXR rear wheel. Does it need both GSXR wheels to count as trick?

18. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

GSXR wheels don't count as trick anymore. They must be Dymag. Marvic, Marchesini, etc...

Sorry.

:D

19. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

:stupid:He's right ya know...:rock:

20. Chango

Chango Something clever!

That's fine. The trick wheels take away from the clapped out qualities anyway.