1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

INSIDE THE VORTEX V3 GAS CAP THERE IS A STEEL BALL!!!???

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Atahan Koymen, Oct 3, 2019.

1. Atahan Koymen

Atahan Koymen Well-Known Member

Hi everyone!! I have problem here where a simple install turned into a headache. I was installing the vortex V3 gas cap on my 2015 636 i could not take the cap off at all. It was so tight!! I tried and tried. Then I decided to take off the 2 little allen screws off the cap it self. While i was doing that i dropped it on the floor and parts scattered everywhere. I have no idea where the little ball inside the cap sits. It would be great if one of you can send a picture of the inside of this cap so that i can put everything back how it supposed to be.

I appreciate all the help in advance

2. WingLeaner

WingLeaner The Medium Labowski

Sorry to hear buddy. Try reaching out to vortex tomorrow. Sucks having to wait but if nobody gets back to you quick enough here check out their customer service dept.
    800-440-3559 and are open from 8am-5pm MDT cheers!

3. HondaGalToo

HondaGalToo Well-Known Member

Did you remove the little screws that hold on the small piece that moves to prevent the cap from loosening? If so, underneath that small piece is a small depression/ hole. First thing that goes in there is a small spring, about the size of a spring in a pen. Then that little tiny steel ball sits on top of that. Then the little lever thing. When you buy a different color locking thingie, they don't include the spring and ball. I know because when I took off the silver one to replace with red, that damn ball shot right out. I was lucky and found it.

Dom17 likes this.
  4. Atahan Koymen

Here is what I did. I took off the 2 screws and right now this is what I see. Is this correct place for the ball??[emoji848][emoji848]

20191004_122131.jpg 20191004_122241.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

5. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

i personally never understood the need for a 100-200$ aftermarket cap. you are gonna lose that lid at some point.. i ran one my AM season. First problems were vapor lock. Bike (2000 f4, last carbed f4) would run on warm up lap, then die 1/2 way through lap 1. consistently. Finally narrowed down to cap not venting. THen, put on on my 03 r6, lid wasn't tight enough, came off, race gas in my crotch. no fun. and day over cause of course, nobody had a spare cap...
    From that day forward i've always ran hinged OEM caps. you can break the lock easily and just need any flat straight edge (flat head screwdriver) to open the cap.

G2G, Newyork and DaveB like this.
  6. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Never had a problem with two different aftermarket caps on two different bikes since '03; one Vortex, the other some carbon-racey-twistlock-Ducati-thingy...
    If either did anything other than not needing a key (or surviving multiple, high-speed impact shocks :D), they provided a leak-proof seal and allowed oneway venting...just like OEM. Hmmm.
    YMMV

7. HondaGalToo

oh, sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you were talking about the little silver lever thing that prevents the cap from loosening. I never removed the two screws you're referencing.

8. Atahan Koymen

No worries!! If you ever get bored and feel like taking those 2 screws off let me know what the inside of your cap looks like. I rode around a bit with almost empty tank and no problems but that really doesnt say much. Oh by the way are you a N2 instructor by any chance?? I think you were my instructor when i was a novice at my first track day in Pitt 2 years ago!! But again i could be wrong. LOL

9. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

my first weekend racing, the racer next to me told a similar story about losing a screw-on cap. gas in their lap, DNF and DNS. so I made sure to buy a spring-loaded 1/4 turn cap. Accossato makes a great one. :D

10. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

I put these on two bikes. Works perfect, inexpensive. Spring loaded, quarter turn Screenshot_20191010-195034_Chrome.jpg

11. HondaGalToo

Ha, I can't right now, my motor blew and the bike is in the shop for quite awhile. LOL
    Yep, I'm an N2 CR. :D