1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any issues with the 2017 Yamaha R6?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by 647, Sep 29, 2019.

1. 647

647 Well-Known Member

I am going to get a current generation R6 for a track bike and wondering if there is any compelling reason to NOT get a '17 because it is the first year of a major revision?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated

2. AC792

AC792 Well-Known Member

I just bought a 2017 to convert to a race bike. The only thing I really found is that some had a tough time starting when cold. Mine seems to have no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

It's not really a major revision. Better electronics, R1 forks, different swingarm, revised bodywork. It is very similar to the previous generation.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  4. Suzuka_joe

Suzuka_joe Well-Known Member

better suspension, better brakes, better electronics, clutch is a little different, TC is pointless, more comfortable riding position i think, I had a 09 and my 17 R6 and i sold my 09 because i preferred the 17 so much more even with stock forks.

5. AC792

AC792 Well-Known Member

Why do you say the TC is pointless? Does it not work well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

in damp conditions...sure

7. Lavana

Lavana The coming

How is the clutch different.

8. MVA25

MVA25 Well-Known Member

I have the same thing going on. I was told to cycle the kill switch on and off a few times to help it. Not sure if it really works or not, but it does start after the second or third try when cold. That to me isn’t really a big deal. I love this bike more than my 08 r6 I had. The 17 r6 is a lot of fun.

9. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

If it's the low idle issue, just hold the starter button in for a couple of seconds extra as it fires up. There is an extended thread about that on this forum somewhere.

10. WingLeaner

WingLeaner The Medium Labowski

I thought cold start issues were fixed by a dealer reflash

11. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

only reason not to, is $$ .. could buy 2 pretty competent 08-16 r6's for close to price of new one, and the spares will be way less too. Especially tank and wheels.

12. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Its a 599cc motorcycle. Usually on slicks.

13. Suzuka_joe

Suzuka_joe Well-Known Member

mine is flashed by Bauce and still has shit cold start even with a lithium battery. its no biggie though

WingLeaner likes this.
  14. doubleapex

doubleapex Well-Known Member

Usually going to a bigger front fork improves rigidity and I wonder if the R6 actually needed stiffer forks. I'd be curious to know if a 2017+ R6 would work better with the 2016 41 mm forks, both with proper internals.

15. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

I want to say the lower triple is thinner to compensate, but it's just hearsay.