1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blackwater 100

Discussion in 'General' started by SpeedyTide, Oct 2, 2019.

1. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

I know many here have heard of it.

I remember learning of it reading DirtWheels & 3-Wheelin magazines in the mid-80's as a teenager. I dreamed of racing it one day, but never to be as it last ran in 1993.

So, anyone ever experience any part of it (raced, spectated)? If so, would love to here any stories.

Great article w/pics I found over on ADVRider's site. Look at the joy the spectators had!! And the crowds!! Freakin' awesome!!

Enjoy!!

https://www.readmeta.com/blog/2018/...9QhZwSThCHdcu8IWfQ3cCzDk0jL63NYC2XJlINVEP4uKk

2. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I remember it! Man that brings back memories reading about it in those same mags! It looked like the funnest thing on Earth I dreamed about doing it too! Thanks for posting!

SpeedyTide likes this.
  3. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Thanks for sharing.

SpeedyTide likes this.
  4. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

I didn't read it, but it's now the Snowshoe GNCC, no?

5. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

it was legendary no doubt ! It's gone the way of profits though. People need to have a good time today, at least a good portion of em do, to get them to come BACK and spend money AGAIN. National Enduro Promotions Group (NEPG) is a good example. It's the national enduro series (bikes only, no quads like GNCC), is run by Alan Rand. He took over a few years back and nearly all the course is passable by even "C" level riders (better than beginners, no where near pro). Of the 6 sections, 1 section is A, AA and Pro only.. as it's a bit tougher, sometimes WAY tougher than the other 5 sections. But, this is how you get people to come back. Fastest wins, some still wont' finish, especially if it rains a bunch, but without people coming back, there's not enough money to keep the series going...

dtalbott likes this.
  6. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

Cool!!
    :beer:

SpeedyTide likes this.
  7. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I remember it well.....never attended it but eagerly awaited as a youngin' for footage to air on MotoWorld each year the event came around.

What was that infamous part, the Highway 93 river crossing?

[​IMG]

SpeedyTide and dtalbott like this.
  8. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

I raced it in 92 on an ATK 406 … best and worst race I ever finished (barely)

[​IMG]

9. MGM

MGM Well-Known Member

I remember ATK, is that an auto clutch on the right side?

10. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

That's the rear brake rotor. less unsprung weight and worked fine until it got hot... or the chain stretched beyond the very limited adjustment range...

11. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

I had the VHS set of these races and wore them out. After the Blackwater they claimed the Wisp GNCC took over for it and then when it died the Snowshoe round took or at least that was the buzz around the GNCC crowd. The Wisp was a nasty Mfer also, never raced the Snowshoe variation.

SpeedyTide likes this.
  12. Stumpy

Stumpy apprentice

ahh, mud fleas...
    I never raced Blackwater but I always read about it and watched the videos. Later while racing my first GNCC I figured out that people still hang out at the hill climbs and mud holes to see the carnage. Always knew something was coming up when you saw a crowd in the woods.

SpeedyTide and renegade17 like this.
  13. COOP 1

COOP 1 Well-Known Member

+ 1

SpeedyTide likes this.
  14. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

15. MELK-MAN

.. and when it's really muddy, aim for the people. they are usually in the high spots ;)

beechkingd, SpeedyTide, bpro and 2 others like this.
  16. Stumpy

Stumpy apprentice

yep, they are taking up real estate with traction

17. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Cool stuff Jeffah...makes me miss my Penton. :beer:

SpeedyTide likes this.
  18. DJ Baker

DJ Baker Well-Known Member

Cool to see spectators not all watching the race through their cell phone cameras.

Banditracer and MELK-MAN like this.
  19. MELK-MAN

.. and they are additional traction :crackup:

SpeedyTide and Stumpy like this.
  20. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

This was the advice I got going in but apparently the spectators figured it out. They would sneak in overnight , dig out areas of the creek crossings leaving small mounds to stand on.... I found this out the hard way when I decided the fastest way around the bottleneck was straight through the spectators and wound up sunk up to the gas cap in muddy water...

.. They were great helping me drag the bike out, pulling the plug and flipping it over to pump the water out... anter they finished laughing of course.

MELK-MAN likes this.