1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Concealed Carry? Can you get a permit from an online website?

Discussion in 'General' started by K51000, Sep 29, 2019.

1. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

I own a gun shop and re certify my concealed every 4 years for 1 reason. The laws change. I want to know the new laws of when I can pull my gun. So I take the course again.

TurboBlew, ducnut, Steeltoe and 2 others like this.
  2. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

The in class training is valuable. They go through a whole bunch of different scenarios with the class. It was well worth it.

3. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

Wisconsin Carry offers a very well done free class if money is what you're worried about. But I would echo what others are saying. Take the class, the knowledge is priceless.

4. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Give the OP credit … he asked before acting.

And it was a gentle reminder for me to do the same - though I don't even own one yet. Haven't had time to take training on proper firearm safety.

5. OldSchlPunk

OldSchlPunk Well-Known Member

Take a class and check out the USCCA. Fantastic 2A group with a lot of training and info on State by State CC laws available.

ducnut likes this.
  6. grasshopper

After you take the class you won't even want to carry the damn thing around with you. There's more opportunity to get in trouble than there is to get out of trouble. The only time I carry it is if I know I'm going somewhere that could be sketchy. But the fact of the matter is if someone pulls a gun on you the best thing for you to do is surrender and give the guy what he wants. You never draw on a drawn gun. The class is more about avoiding situations than being part of one where you would need to pull your firearm out. Way more to lose than to gain...

7. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

My near-term future need is more about animals in a rural area, not humans. But I want to get a carry permit regardless, in the event circumstances change. But, I assure you, I will not conceal unless absolutely required ~and~ after receiving ~lots~ of education and training.

8. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

What he said. CCW doesn't give you authority to be some sort of vigilante cleaning up the streets with your boomstick. The class is mostly about what NOT to do, and focuses very little on actually handling the weapon. TBH, about the only situation I could see drawing in would be if I were in a store and somebody came in to rob or shoot the place up. I'd draw from cover and wait for the bad guy to come my way.

badmoon692008 and OldSchlPunk like this.
  9. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

I carry whenever legally allowed. But yes, the classes will cause anyone to pause. My anti-uncle once asked if I "think I'm going to save everyone" if the worst were to happen. Then got mad when I said not a chance and everyone else was on their own.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

10. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Just his post? What about the other certified wacks on this here beeb that patrol around in full tactical gear?

SuddenBraking likes this.
  11. joec

joec brace yourself

Can't emphasize enough how much my father has said the same thing to me.

12. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

I'm not. I don't live far from him. I should start wearing my vest everywhere once he gets one.:crackup:

I took one of the 'advanced classes' Gander Mt had years ago. Was taught by a retired deputy. Holy fuck was it a joke. The 2 other guys in the class would end up dead if they ever had to clear leather. Either shooting themselves or have the perp get them. One couldn't draw without pulling his holster off his belt, other pulled then pointed up before leveling it. Neither one could put 3 holes in a 6" circle from 20'.

But yes K5100, take a class or two first.

I've had to draw mine once. 2 thugs thought twice and took off running. One dropped his knife. They thought they were gonna get a nice score on stealing camera equipment.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
    rd49 likes this.
  13. grasshopper

And as much as all these hardcore gun advocates want to stand their fucking ground on their right to bear arms that gun on your hip is not going to save your ass if someone really wants to break in your house and kill you. And it sure as hell is not going to help with all these stupid gang bangers running around shooting randomly. It's a really shitty situation here in Chicagoland area. Yea I have a gun on my hip, yea I have it legally. It really doesn't help or mean a god damn thing with the crisis we have on our hands with all these morons and their lack of respect for innocent human lives. I'm tired of it.

The other morning about 4:30 AM my wife and I are sleeping in bed and we hear "POP POP POP". She's like "What was that?" That was gun shots babe. Right down the street. While our 2 kids are laying in their beds in the bedroom next to us.

14. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

that's 100% how i feel. i got one because i could. and literally the handgun class i was required to take anyways qualified me for it, so it was no extra work or time and simply like $50 and a piece of paper more. with that being said, i don't generally feel fearful anywhere i go, even in somewhat sketchy places... i frequent MD, DC, Bmore, Philly, NYC, Boston, NJ, Socal, NoVA, etc... AND the reciprocity doesn't even work in the majority of those places anyways. Northern VA, and every once in a while PA i guess?

but shit... i also think about in what situation i'd actually feel ok with blasting someone... out somewhere in VA at night? like some dude bumps into me and puffs his chest out and escalates things to me? something like that hasn't happened to me in over a decade at this point, and i pretty much avoid any place where something like that USED to happen (pool halls, sketchy late night spots in koreatown, etc...) and even if that WOULD happen, all i can think is, "pulling out a gun cause of some bullshit maaaaybe fist fight nothingness?" totally stupid and not worth it and i'd rather not even have to make that choice. and i don't want to have to live with the consequences of something like that even if justified, so i honestly can't see utilizing the permit for any reason in my day to day life at all.

if i owned a cash business and had to carry around a bunch of money frequently, close up a shop at night, etc... that'd be about the only reason i could see wanting to utilize the CCW. and i don't, so oh well for now...

15. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Dungeon in 4.....3.....2.....1

16. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

When you finally moving out Nick?

17. grasshopper

We are out Friday / Saturday this week

ducnut likes this.
  18. grasshopper