1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoAmerica FINALE - Barber Motorsports Park - Sept 20-22 2019

Discussion in 'General' started by TX Joose, Sep 17, 2019.

1. To your point any national series below WSBK is a pro / am. You don’t get any people in BSB for example doing club stuff except to test. Reason? They don’t pay contingency. When you show them what you can make at club level here they almost fall out of their seats.
    MA did do it to survive and look at the twins class. Even a few (3 maybe 4 have actually bought live + to follow racing which is awesome as they are totally non motorcycle people) my non motorcycle friends cannot wait to watch the twins race. They think it’s awesome and the twins bikes “look” faster according to them. No one cares about straight line speed except looking at the # and that doesn’t equate to better racing. Twins and jr cup you can really see what the riders are doing with the bike, it’s a lot more animated and from a non racer that’s cool to see. They even ask questions “why does this bike go so “outside” of the corner. Etc. So from my experience, at least with 4 new people it’s paying off.
    And BTW, a lot of series have would would be classed as somewhat of an amateur class, some the full season, others just selected rounds.

Gino230, rcarson15 and 418 like this.
  2. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

It's still bullshit that you can draw the red flag and end the race early without getting docked a certain amount of laps or whatnot.

sdiver likes this.
  3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I think they have a different philosophy in the world championship. You have to be running at the end. It's not common to see a car/bike get repaired to take one lap at the end of a 24-hour race. Maybe it's changed, but I am sure I have seen that.

4. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

by the current rule .. a rider locked in a points battle at the final round, could toss his bike down the road when challenged by his competitor after 2/3rds distance. If he made sure to low side in a spot that the bike would slide through and back on track, dragging a bunch of dirt onto track for good measure, it would be a tactic to lock up a championship. Total bs rule, and would hope nobody would think to do this, but it's possible to do under the current rule.

I SORT of see why MA made the call they did. Fong actually gets up unhurt, and was quickly able to get his bike running again. It was pretty beat up, and doubt he would have stayed out without a black flag, but the dirt on track was what brought out the red flag. UNLESS the decision to bring out the red had already been made due to he and his bike being right in the impact area, and he simply was able to skeedadle before they could actually start waiving a red. ? ?

5. Hoffman900

Hoffman900 Well-Known Member

Is this a MotoAmerica specific rule or a FIM rule?

6. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

Details! Will you be involved? V4R?

7. MELK-MAN

not sure. MA for sure as Robby Floyd discussed it at the end of the telecast. Thought i read on FB someone posted it was an FIM rule as well, but no idea if it was credible source.

8. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Ben's Pies?

9. rcarson15

rcarson15 Well-Known Member

'Tis a genius plan.. wait until the factories leave and swoop in to wipe the floor with the "best of the rest"

10. G 97

G 97 Garth

So in other words, nothing has changed. :D

11. G 97

G 97 Garth

HRC is not coming back here with out American Honda involved and last I was aware, American Honda has no MA plans to go racing.

Hoffman900 likes this.
  12. Hoffman900

I never really understand Honda. On the car side, they support “pro” formula car racing, where there are zero spectators but still fly in tons of technicians and engineers, and generally seem way better at supporting auto racing despite almost no exposure outside of Indy Car.

I know they might as well be separate companies, but Honda is whacky. Probably always has been.

13. MELK-MAN

14. G 97

G 97 Garth

Motorcycles are the red headed step child.

Hoffman900 likes this.
  15. Hoffman900

I’m a Bobby fan, but this is kind of funny.

30B61A97-9F17-4167-801D-767E6DD85137.jpeg

scottn, awalk9905, masshole and 4 others like this.
  16. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

I still think this rule should be revised. I'm a big fan of Bobby's and had been pulling for him to win the championship since the start of the year, but I still think he shouldnt have been handed the win.

You cause the red flag and remount your bike, your classification position should be based on where you are when you cross into the next timing sector.

MELK-MAN and Pitdad42 like this.
  17. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

Man, PJ`s going in on the Fonger, MA and this whole theory on how he was victimized.

Did Fongs win on Saturday close the championship up or was it up for grab sunday?

18. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

On the flip side it’s like being the only factory effort against privateer teams. If you don’t win it’s a colossal let down when you do win everyone expected it anyhow.
    Not sure I see the point. A guy at the level he was has very little to gain with those expectations.

Ride safe,
    AAron

19. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

Comparing the US to Europe never works.
    Just like you said look at the money to be won club racing here as opposed to there.
    And if MotoAmerica comes out and admits they are targeting club racing then I’m good with it. Put WERA, CCS, etc on notice. Maybe consolidating everything would work.
    I doubt it because the opportunities for club racers will disappear and the cost will be much higher not being able to run regional stuff. We all know there isn’t enough racers and money to go around with organizations stealing from each other.

Ride safe,
    AAron

Wheel Bearing likes this.
  20. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

Fong won the championship on Saturday after PJ's bike had brake issues preventing him from finishing higher than 7th. Maybe PJ should be blaming his team for not replacing the calipers or Yamaha for giving him a faulty caliper...

jonathanp, MELK-MAN and Hoffman900 like this.