Thanks to the one that made it all possible...

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Gorilla George, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

Its like you refuse to understand the nomenclature and processes that drive scientific study and offer counter points that are just word salad that don't mean anything to science. There is no science fact. On purpose. Gravity is a theory but every single person can reliably test it any time they choose.

2. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

So if a large group of people just accept something as fact that hasn't been proven then I once again state that the big bang theory is no different than a large group of people just simply accepting the existence of god as fact.

It isn't proven...just accepted.

cav115 likes this.
  3. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

You still have not answered why tribalism did not meet these same moral standards.

4. Chino52405

Who's tribe and what proof do you have that these morals had not been adopted in tribes of people all over the ancient world? I'd be very curious to know how early European settlers survived and ice age being completely without basic human morals.

5. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

Higgs boson is a new elementary particle but does not prove the big bang theory. Even Higgs did not call it the god particle.

6. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Scientific hypotheses never turn into "facts", as that would remove the need for constant scrutiny (which is the basis for science).

You should probably take a step away from the keyboard at this point, fella.

7. SuddenBraking

Lol, I had a paragraph or two typed up of me explaining how science works to a six year old and then realized that I'm being trolled.

Gorilla George likes this.
  8. Chino52405

Side topic: I believe the big bang is the explosion of energy disappeared behind the event horizon of a massive black hole. Super massive gravity condensing all matter it consumes...it has to go somewhere...doesn't it...? Not sure how else we could start of with one insanely dense particle comprised of all materials needed for the big bang.

To @Gorilla George point, you just keep having to kick the can of where something came from nothing - but I believe we are so far from a top line or original reality that the information may never be fully knowable to us.

9. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

Lots of written history of the Spanish living with the native tribes in the US. Lots of written books on the Latin/South America cultures. It is difficult to compare their morals by today’s standards wrt to slavery, etc but basic human interactions and degrees of remorse for killing other humans has been written in great numbers.

What does the ice age have to do with morals? There was trade between the cultures in Europe/Asia and this is a theory of when the “biblical stories” began, search NPR about origins of religion for a podcast.

10. Venom51

So all your bikes run on the theory of internal combustion...right?

Things that remain theories are things that are not fully understood. Once we believe we fully understand them they move on to provable fact. I don't think anyone disputes how an internal combustion engine works at this point. The only thing still under scientific scrutiny about it is the efficiency with we which we manage to convert an explosion into work output.

General acceptance of something not fully understood should never be deemed as fact. We may have an understanding of how some of the processes in the universe works but to generally accept the Big Bang theory as fact well...for me there are still too many extremely large puzzle pieces missing to call it fact.

11. Chino52405

Have you read what the Spanish were doing there? Genocide in the pursuit of gold is how I have learned of this era. Maybe you know something else...?

12. SuddenBraking

You just typed a word salad agreeing with my first statement in the post you quoted:

"Scientific hypotheses never turn into "facts", as that would remove the need for constant scrutiny (which is the basis for science)."

Anyhow, I've procrastinated enough - I'm going to turn my deck project into a "fact".

13. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Get your asses to church, ya dirty heathens!

cav115 likes this.
  14. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

Man that sounds an awful like religion.

15. Venom51

And your willingness to accept it as fact is no different from the believer who thinks his life is looked over by a mythical father figure in the clouds. In that way science and religion are no different.

cav115 likes this.
  16. Chino52405

I'd propose that it would be incredibly hard for any group to survive that era, let alone thrive without functional community and common goals. This is where the cooperation part of our brain kicks in. We can scientifically measure the chemical changes in human brains as we effectively collaborate with other...its potentially our most important evolutionary development.

17. Chino52405

I could say God put that particle there or we could continue to observe our universe and look for other potential causes. The difference is that one keeps searching and testing, the other doesn't.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Enthusiasm? Nah, just something to talk about if it's brought up. Don't ever think about it unless someone else says something. Got more important things to consider daily like what's for dinner, why didn't I go to Arco and get two coffees rather than a smaller one from Jack in the Box. You know, important things :D

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Um, yeah you do. Try to prove or disprove them.

20. Venom51

Won't a whole bunch of people shit the bed when they get a peak on the other side of that black hole and find a 70's hippy laughing his ass off. :D