1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thanks to the one that made it all possible...

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Gorilla George, Sep 16, 2019.

1. lrrs517

lrrs517 Internet Investigative Officer

They also credit the 12 steps.

2. jd41

jd41 Well-Known Member

You antitheists sure are a preachy bunch lol.

3. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

Oh, I don't know...I've never had an atheist knock on my door in order to hand me a fucking pamphlet. :D . Funny story (to me at least) At my last jury duty assignment (central Florida bible thumper county :crackup:) During selection, one attorney drew 3 bubbles on a whiteboard. In them he wrote Faith, Family, and Passion. He stated that when he talked to people, everyone listed these three things as being most important to them, and he wanted to know what we individually were passionate about. He got to me. My answers were that I indeed loved my daughter, and my passion was becoming financially viable enough to extricate myself from the state of Florida :crackup:. The last one though... I stated that I hated to ruin his "Everyone" curve, but I had no faith. There were literal audible gasps from the rest of the potential gallery and I received the "stink-eye" from many the rest of the day. Now, who are the "preachy, pretentious" ones ? The vast majority of non believers simply don't give a crap and just want to be left alone without having it constantly thrust at them, then judged for not toeing the God line.
    Oh, by the way, for some reason I was released early...:crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup:

beac83 and Gorilla George like this.
  4. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I was literally going to post this! Well, to be honest, I was going to say no atheist has never run my doorbell on a Saturday morning to tell me there is no God, but that's pretty close. :crackup:

Gorilla George likes this.
  5. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

Didn’t the Egyptians also enslave the Israelites, I think I even saw something about it in this epic Cecil B DeMille movie.

It is also connected with Babylon in the Code of Hammurabi which also has the eye for eye, tooth for tooth stuff.

6. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Point? There are slaves all over the """"good"""" book.

Slavery and enslavement is a basic, oft repeated facet of the human condition. We are still animals, therefore very selfish, and as such will do whatever we can get away with to further our biological viability. The costs to others be damned.

But that's not what we're talking about here.

We're talking about the mechanisms that we, as evolved creatures, have put in place to overturn our basic, selfish, animalistic desires and functions... all of which predate Christianity, Buddhism, Shamanism, Confucianism... etc etc.

Gorilla George likes this.
  7. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

Point was not slavery but there is a connection between the Hebrews and the Egyptians, same as with Mesopotamia which has the oldest known written history. I’ve no clue who adapted whose culture, if any, but there is a physical connection between the cultures.

8. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

There is no implication - any faith based beliefs (which by definition religion is, as there is no proof of any deity) require the suspension of logical thinking.

upload_2019-9-21_16-55-53.png

One of the reasons I look down on organized religion is because it's simply a con job that was perpetrated millenia ago and is still conning gullible people now (mostly through brainwashing while they're young and impressionable). In addition to most not living at all by the teachings of Jesus Christ, it's also the world's largest organized pedophilia ring. That being said, to the extent someone uses their religion like a lucky rabbit's foot and says prayers because it makes them feel better and they feel it gives their life purpose, I really don't give a shit - it's the organized religion that's my main gripe.

In short, yeah - I'm not a fan. If any of you want to pray for me, do me a favor and tell dog "Suddenbraking says you're a fucking dick because you make kids get cancer".

jd41 likes this.
  9. jd41

jd41 Well-Known Member

10. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

The hand of god touched me in my bathing suit area.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Um. No.

Those same values existed before Christianity too, they didn't make them up out of nothing.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Be clearer in your point, many in the world didn't grow up in or near Christianity and do just fine.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Then say so. Keeping the voices inside your head does nothing to help clarify for the rest of us :crackup:

14. Those tests has have been and continue to be done (ever heard of the Hadron Collider?). Some of the worlds most intelligent people have been trying to disprove the big bang theory for almost 100 years, and have failed to do so. There is still radiation throughout the universe today that is left over from the big bang (Cosmic Microwave Background).

Again, that is untrue. There is valid science behind the beginnings of the universe. The timeline is known (around 14 million years, 13.7 IIRC), and even the particle it began with (ever heard of the Higgs boson particle?).

Imagine being the one scientist who was able to disprove the big bang. You would be a rockstar, but yet none have been able to do so.

You seem to think the big bang, and "god created everything" are in the same boat. Again, they are not. I think the problem is your misunderstanding of the difference between a hypothesis and a theory. As ive already said, a hypothesis is essentially a guess, then after extensive testing with repeated results, it becomes a theory. A theory is generally accepted as fact because it stands up to the scientific method, repeatedly.

Here, see if this helps:

Theory:
    noun, plural the·o·ries.
    A coherent group of tested general propositions, commonly regarded as correct, that can be used as principles of explanation and prediction for a class of phenomena.

Hypothesis:
    noun, plural hy·poth·e·ses [hahy-poth-uh-seez, hi-] /haɪˈpɒθ əˌsiz, hɪ-/.
    A proposition set forth as an explanation for the occurrence of some specified group of phenomena, asserted merely as a provisional conjecture to guide investigation.

More applicable to this discussion:

Scientific Theory:
    A scientific theory is a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world, based on a body of facts that have been repeatedly confirmed through observation and experiment. Such fact-supported theories are not "guesses" but reliable accounts of the real world.

Again, "god created everything" is a hypothesis, a guess, with nothing to substantiate it. The big bang is a theory, which has been tested repeatedly, and is generally accepted as fact.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  15. Without religion, I knew it wasn't "right" to punch somebody in the face. But I have done so numerous times. I am sure thieves don't like having shit stolen from them, but they steal shit themselves.

Knowledge of right and wrong does not prevent someone from doing the latter, especially when doing wrong is a means to an end.

16. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

The timeline is ~14 billion years. But on the whole, your statement is correct - arguing that the scientific theory of the Big Bang and a really large egomaniac sitting on clouds have the same "proof" behind them is either comically disingenuous or ludicrously stupid.

17. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

I have never had a witness visit, but know it happens.

But the atheist enthusiasm in here is Yuuuuge.....:D

18. Shit. Good catch. That's right.

19. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

You don't try to disprove a theory fellas. You try to disprove fact and the last I checked it isn't called the big bang fact.

20. Oh lawd. Have you read any of the damn posts? A scientific theory is generally accepted as fact because....

Oh nevermind, fuck it. I am not typing all that shit again.