1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Leaving a job: Do you say where you’re going?

Discussion in 'General' started by sharkattack, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Montoya

Montoya Well-Known Member

Of course it's always best to not burn a bridge, but it's not the end of the world if it occurs. Some times you need to make an ethical stand, just try and do so tactfully.

2. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

Not sure if it’s been said, but the truth is always a good place to start.

3. HR in the EU and in NA are pretty different. From a pure hr perspective all they can do is provide that info. Crazy thing in Europe is reference letters. They once wanted me to write one (well sign one actually since it was somebody I already had to pay a fortune to fire) and I refused to sign it. I stated the details in the letter are false and if they were true he’d still be employed. Made it all the way up to mothership legal department and I still refused to sign it. They stated it was part of the severance agreement, that’s fine then you sign it, I’m not ethically signing it.

4. I can say that in EU, the employees are looked after better. In the US, with the employer/employee relationship being "at will", it is so much easier to shitcan somebody (in fairness, it is a lot easier for someone to quit also).

If I am let go (other than for gross misconduct reasons, drugs, fighting, etc), they still have to pay me for several months.

But on the flip side, I have to give them 3 months notice, or I could be held financially liable for losses pertaining to my absence.

5. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Damn............more reason to be proud muricans............we can just tell ‘em “take this job ‘n shove it!”:D

brex and AC1108 like this.
  6. Ya it has its good and bad sides but to me there’s a lot more bad in EU. In my experience SOME places it creates a level of protection and festers laziness and the “it’s not my job” mentality. That being said they also don’t run their people into the ground, you can actually take a vacation, etc. At my level it wouldn’t matter as the labor union doesn’t have much of an effect on me. US is at will but there are also contracts when you get to certain levels in a company. The current salary workforce in a lot of Europe is realizing that it’s not competitive as the world keeps on shrinking. I’ve been very fortunate where most of my people in EU are pretty good and don’t play the works council
    Card as they see the big picture. I’m very fair with my people, don’t care when you come and go as long as you are where you need to be when you need to be there. Oh and getting your job done.

7. Then call security in fear of them coming back and shooting you, well if it was the other way around :)

8. I reckon that is the good thing about being in the oilfield; its kinda the best of both worlds out here.

There is more "protection" due to the labor laws, but slackasses won't be tolerated. The labor laws might can protect them as far as those things go, but they won't protect them on the rig. You have to answer to your coworkers, and its all dudes who will quickly tear you a new asshole if necessary.

Luckily all the snowflake, crybaby, self-entitled, PC type shit hasn't made it here.

9. ...and they can also tell you "get your shit and get out". :D

It goes both ways.

10. So how do you survive? :)

Gorilla George likes this.
  11. I get paid for what I know, not what I do. :D

sharkattack likes this.
  12. Hey same here :) problem is I don’t know shit.

Gorilla George likes this.
  13. britx303

Well seeing that im not a millenial, I'm perfectly fine with capitalism and if Im not doing my job and im told to GTFO,then I would have had it coming to me anyways:D

14. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

Not when there's layoffs or downsizing and you just become a number on a spreadsheet, but its wholesome and endearing you still have such an opinion about the facade of meritocracy. :beer:

15. britx303

From experience.........I have full faith in it.