1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Leaving a job: Do you say where you’re going?

Discussion in 'General' started by sharkattack, Sep 19, 2019.

1. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

Hey all knowing beeb:

I’m looking to make a change in my career. What’s the general consensus about telling your manager & coworkers where you’re going?

Some say it’s no big deal, and that people will find out, yet others like to keep it private and just quietly move on.

If you’ve switched jobs, how did you handle it? Any regrets on the way you did so?

2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I've never seen a point in hiding the info. Everywhere I've worked, I try to build a network of contacts. Some I stay in contact with regularly, some intermittently. I've found it useful if they don't have to work to find me.

This of course assumes you are leaving your current employer on good terms.

bacolmm, StaccatoFan, BigBird and 5 others like this.
  3. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

+1

4. Phl218

Phl218 .

My the bridges you burn light your way

:D

GarrettRick, Laz, BigBird and 2 others like this.
  5. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

If your staying in the same industry then why try to hide the secret? They'll just find out anyway. Unless it's a major/direct competitor then maybe not shout it too loud.

Phl218 likes this.
  6. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

I’m leaving on excellent terms. I’m just moving in a slightly different direction. I suppose it’s no big deal. I haven’t switched jobs for quite a long time; I was just curious what the general protocol was.

Thanks guys!

7. Chango

Chango Something clever!

I told everybody where I was going, but it wasn't really a surprise since they all knew I was following my wife out of state for grad school this year.

8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I let my previous employer know exactly where... & gave em the business card...lol.

Newyork likes this.
  9. This. Leave on the best possible terms and don’t burn and bridges, even if they were a sh$t employers. You never know who you will run into in the future.

beac83, TurboBlew and Phl218 like this.
  10. I have only changed companies twice in my career. But both times I told them exactly where I was going, and why I was leaving.

Both times they came with offers for a better package, but I declined.

If they wanted to take better care of me, they should have made a point of doing so while I was there and performing well. Don't wait till I have one foot out the door, and then come with "but wait, if you stay, we will give you ____". My response was "if you were capable of giving me that, you should have done so a long time ago."

11. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

I was in the exact same situation a year ago. I left on excellent terms, but damn it felt satisfying to say that.

The Great One and Gorilla George like this.
  12. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

Just drop off the key, Lee. You don't have to be coy, Roy.

TLR67 and sharkattack like this.
  13. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

I just changed companies two weeks ago. I was completely upfront from the get-go. Why not? Heck, I’m going back to my old company tomorrow to sit in a dunk tank for charity at the company picnic. If you’re leaving for the right reason, it doesn’t have to be a bad thing.

pscook, AC1108 and TurboBlew like this.
  14. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

I have to call the cable company to do this every 6 months

MELK-MAN and AC1108 like this.
  15. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

You must have the patience of a saint. I hate speaking to most customer service dept. Especially if I'm initiating the phone call. I have little patience when I do cause most of the time its a problem.

16. :stupid:

Hell I paid for the ADT security system for over a year while my house was being rebuilt, even though the house was being gutted...only because I didn't feel like talking on the fucking phone to suspend it. :crackup:

ChemGuy and AC1108 like this.
  17. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

And don't forget the phone call necessary to re-start service. Which seems like it would be simple but some shyt would complicate matters. :rolleyes:

Gorilla George likes this.
  18. 418

418 Expert #59

All they're doing is buying themselves time until they can kick your ass to the curb or your opportunity passes by and you're stuck.

You guys want to hear something f*****-up? I recently switched jobs and my last employer HR person told my now current employer that they had they had talked to me and I wasn't interested in the job and was staying put. How nice of them, I hadn't talked to anyone.

Second time in my life I did not give a two week notice. Once I got a conditional job offer on the table I was out.

19. j cal

j cal Well-Known Member

Coming from the auto industry, if you're going to a direct competitor and management finds out, you'll immediately get walked out (which can be good or bad depending on your situation).

OGs750 and MELK-MAN like this.
  20. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Resignation cake and roll:D