1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Google authenticator help?

Discussion in 'General' started by Hotfoot, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Hotfoot

Hotfoot Well-Known Member

I can't seem to find an answer online to solve this... I have an account for which I set up 2 step verification, using Google Authenticator on my iphone to generate the verification code. Today I tried to sign in to the account, then opened Authenticator, and instead of giving me a code as it should, Authenticator went to a setup screen as if it were a new install.

Seems like the solution would be to set up the app again, but when I go to my Google account to do so, there is no longer an option to use Authenticator as the 2 step verification method, so I can't find any way to complete the setup of Authenticator.

And, I can't get into the account I am trying to access because it wants the Authenticator code and doesn't offer me any alternate way to log in without that code.

Any ideas on what I can do to re-enable Authenticator?

2. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Welcome to Google. We decided to arbitrarily no longer support something we supported just yesterday. Thank you for understanding but since you are using something for free so we can sell your information kindly run along and get fucked.

Sabre699, beac83, Dom17 and 1 other person like this.
  3. Hotfoot

Is that what happened? I was going to go an a hunt to try to find the recovery codes (which I do think I have but will require some effort to find) but if the app is not supported anymore will it even work if I find the codes? I have no idea why the app that was working before would suddenly not be working.

4. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

It's Google. I could be right but I doubt that's the case in this instance.

5. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Yeah you can’t trust Google but I doubt this is the case. Sounds like you got signed out or something. Maybe something is corrupted on your phone.

Not sure what app you’re trying to access so I can’t really offer much advice. I’d contact support for the app and tell them. They may be able to temporarily disable 2FA or use a phone number on file. There’s usually more options on the backend than what they give you.

Never rely on always having the 2FA code from the app. ALWAYS copy the seed value. I use a password management app and save the 2FA seed with the other credentials. If you want to reduce the risk if your password app gets penetrated you can save the seed in another file. If you save the seed then when you lose or break your phone you won’t be SOL.

6. Hotfoot

Yeah, it is weird, I didn't know you COULD sign out (or get signed out) of Authenticator. I have the seed value somewhere, I'm sure I can dig it up, but since I don't know what happened with Authenticator (so therefore it could happen again) I may just change my 2FA to a different method and abandon Authenticator. I only use it for this one account anyway, and rarely access the account.

As far as the the account I was trying to access, I can have them restore the account another way but it takes some time and requires a photo ID, etc. so it's a bit of a hassle.

7. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

When you setup 2FA you get a batch of 10 pre-generated 'oh shit' one time access codes as well, you're supposed to archive those off somewhere safe. Glad to hear you've got a path to recovering the account though.

8. Hotfoot

I do not recall getting a set of 10 codes, Google Authenticator does that? I just got one seed code from Authenticator. But I set this up years ago, could be that was something that had not been started yet.

BTW it looks like the reason I can't access Google Authenticator setup through Google anymore is that they have replaced their 2FA method with "Google prompts" instead.

9. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

It's in your account settings in Google. Go to Security, 2 Step, and you'll see a section titled 'Backup Codes'. Or, you would, if you could get into that account right now. :D

10. Hotfoot

I can get into my Google account. When I go into security and 2 step it goes to "get started", and gives me a choice to choose text or Google prompts. Authenticator is not an option. There is no option for backup codes.

11. Rhino48

Rhino48 Well-Known Member

This is probably what happened. I'm forced to use G-Suite and all it's 3 legged spawn (like smartsheets) for work. What this has taught me is: Google sucks, and would absolutely do all of the above.