1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reporter tries to buy gun. Ends up proving what we already know.

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Steeltoe, Sep 11, 2019.

1. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Like the people that actually believe the "gunshow loohpole" lie and think they can just walk into a gun show and walk out with a free gun.

2. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

Depends on the state and the type of gun being purchased. I live in PA. I can right now go purchase any legal to own gun and walk out with it after a background check and my state is a right to carry state. What that means is unless the sheriff's office can find a legitimate reason that I should not be allowed to concealed carry, they issue a license to do so. The permit takes a couple of days to acquire, but is not necessary to purchase a gun.
    Just south of me is the liberal bastion of MD. If a MD resident were to go purchase a long gun, they can walk out with it today. If they are purchasing a hand gun, the process is far more involved and drawn out. Last I heard, it's weeks and sometimes months before they can take possession of a hand gun bought legally from a FFL even with a clean NICS check. In addition, a concealed carry permit in MD is nearly impossible to obtain.
    For the record, I'm for a completely unrestricted 2nd ammendment with proper screening. If you are deemed responsible, I'm ok with you owning fully automatic rifles and rocket launchers if you wish.

triplestrong and code3ryder like this.
  3. code3ryder

code3ryder Well-Known Member

State to state is definitely the decider. In CA it wasn't hard for me to buy my pistol. Passed bg and then it had to sit in gun jail for 10 days. Once that was done, I picked it up and walked out. Living in the B.A. there was no chance of a concealed carry permit. Now I live in Colorado. Didn't have to register my guns, can go take a free 4 hour class. Take my stuff to the S.O. and then just wait for processing time to get my concealed carry. One thing that surprised me here is that the permit is only needed for your person. You can have your f/a concealed in your vehicle without any sort of permit. Quite interesting. I'm on the fence about what types of guns people should be able to own. Anyhow...not to derail the thread. I thought it was a decent article and highlighted some good things.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  4. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Spang7.62x51 for Benevolent Overlord! :D

5. Spang308

:flag:

6. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I've bought guns in NY, PA and VA.
    Two of my first purchases were at VA gunshows in the early/mid '90s. Yes, I had to wait five minutes for each “phone call” to return an approval. All other purchases have been through a retailer, with a corresponding check.
    Last purchase approval occurred so quickly I didn't have time take a seat, tho' the dealer suggested it. It happened so quickly, the dealer commented, “The Feds must love you!” That happened on Fifth Avenue/NYC!

- None of my purchase experiences should have been possible if I were a shady character.
    - “Gunshow loophole” is simply a private individual walking around with a “for sale” sign and a single firearm hanging off their shoulder...they're just avoiding having to deal with classified ads and the subsequent phonecalls from god-knows-who. I rarely see any of these “loopholes” and most of what I see them shouldering is an heirloom.
    - If you attempt to “test” the system, you should be charged/fined/restricted from making a purchase...maybe even adding time to your restriction.

Does the system work? It does for me.
    Does it work for a first time buyer? Maybe they have to take a sit for a bit...you know, enter them into the system, etc.
    Is the system broken? Not to any extent gun-grabbers and fake news would want us to believe.

Yes, there are cracks and splinters in the system that need to be addressed but, overall, there are far bigger problems we should be concerned about as Citizens and politicians. Making guns and gun owners the scapegoats for our woes will surely increase the likelihood that those guns will fulfill the call of the 2A.

7. Spang308

Well said. The politicians and gun grabbers conveniently ignore the real issue is a societal one, not guns.

8. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

Honestly, after reading it, all I can think is that this was a "Pro-Walmart" piece and nothing more. It really doesn't tell anything about the gun buying experience.

9. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Guns are the left’s immigration crisis. It’s a big scary thing they can use to make a lot of noise and rile up their base but they can’t really do a damn thing about it.

code3ryder likes this.
  10. motorkas

motorkas Well-Known Member

Bought this in that liberal bastion, in the most liberal county, in the most liberal area of that county. . .waited seven days. Picked it up on three days ago. Trust me, it's not nearly as hard as you're trying to make it out to be.

IMG_9444 (2).jpg

11. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

5.45 or 7.62?

12. motorkas

13. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Do you carry it in the guitar case like a 20’s mobster?:crackup:

14. motorkas

Never gave it much thought. . .but I do have a coffin case. . .

IMG_9471.jpg

TurboBlew and socalrider like this.
  15. Spang308

That ain't a handgun...and nice Rivera Amp!

16. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Does it fit in your hand? Then it's a hand gun.

17. code3ryder

code3ryder Well-Known Member

Pretty sure you ain't getting that in Commiefornia

18. motorkas

It isn't? What do you think it is? And thanks!!!!!

19. motorkas

Here's a fun fact...it's illegal for
    gun shops to sell AK47s in Maryland.

20. drop

drop Well-Known Member

In Tennessee you can walk into a gun dealership, pass a bg check, show money, and walk out within 15 minutes with long rifles, or any hand gun you want.

I can legally carry in my car with no permit.

In 2020 the law starts, that I can obtain my concealed carry permit with no class for I think it's 100 bucks. And have the card tondo so within an hour.

I'd have to do a 4 hour class and pay 100 more bucks to open carry. And have the card to do so.